What's new

Model Islamic State

MilesTogo

Reaction score
Which of the following can be said to be a model Islamic State working in accordance with Islamic principles and moving in right direction towards peace, prosperity, glory and greatness or at least has the potential to do so in near future -

(in no particular order)

1. Saudi Arabia
2. Iran
3. Pakistan
4. UAE
5. Egypt
6. Malasiya
7. Indonesia
8. Turkey

Last edited:
None of the above.

Islamic states have existed in the past, for example in Spain where the Muslims ruled for over 600 years, the result of which is well known to people of understanding.

There will be no revival of the Islamic Caliphate any time soon, unless the Muslims work to better themselves on a personal level...

question revised

None of the above.

Islamic states have existed in the past, for example in Spain where the Muslims ruled for over 600 years, the result of which is well known to people of understanding.

There will be no revival of the Islamic Caliphate any time soon, unless the Muslims work to better themselves on a personal level...

you have added "or at least has the potential to do so in near future "

Hmm, interesting.

Malasiya seems to be on the right lines.

lol.. Malaysia is far from an Islamic country, just because majority of the people are Muslim doesn't mean they are living in an Islamic governing state. Maylasia's system of governence is just like the Parlimentary system of Canada, Britian, India and Pakistan. Its a very diverse country in terms of religion with Muslims being only 58-62% i believe. Just the official religion is Islam and thats probably the closest thing to religous governance.

With that being said the only progressive Muslim countries that i see are Malaysia and Turkey. Iran has the potential to be a great country if that ridiculous of a ruler called Ayatollah khomenei leaves the Iranian people alone.

you have added "or at least has the potential to do so in near future "

Hmm, interesting.

Malasiya seems to be on the right lines.

I agree with you 100%. I wonder if they have any extremist problems as well. And if not then why?

lol.. Malaysia is far from an Islamic country, just because majority of the people are Muslim doesn't mean they are living in an Islamic governing state. Maylasia's system of governence is just like the Parlimentary system of Canada, Britian, India and Pakistan. Its a very diverse country in terms of religion with Muslims being only 58-62% i believe. Just the official religion is Islam and thats probably the closest thing to religous governance.

With that being said the only progressive Muslim countries that i see are Malaysia and Turkey. Iran has the potential to be a great country if that ridiculous of a ruler called Ayatollah khomenei leaves the Iranian people alone.

Last time i checked Ayatollah Khomeini died on 3rd June 1989 :disagree:

There are problems with theocracy; Iran is not in an ideal situation right now; there are shias in Iran (Akhbari's) who intellectually do not acknowledge Wilayat e Faqih. Even in the Hoza's in Qum; some ulema (Akhbari's) have differences upon it in on an intellectual level; but It is upto the Iranians to decide; not for the world to impose their will on a sovereign country. The arab world is not better off; why not call for stripping down all kingdoms of their self proclaimed kings specially in saudia arabia...?

Last edited:
I suppose we would need more clarification in order to think about it - what exactly are these "Islamic principles" ? And peace, prosperity, glory and greatness, are these also "islamic"? and are these criteria for "model" Islamic state?

Last time i checked Ayatollah Khomeini died on 3rd June 1989 :disagree:

There are problems with theocracy; Iran is not in an ideal situation right now; there are shias in Iran (Akhbari's) who intellectually do not acknowledge Wilayat e Faqih. Even in the Hoza's in Qum; some ulema (Akhbari's) have differences upon it in on an intellectual level; but It is upto the Iranians to decide; not for the world to impose their will on a sovereign country. The arab world is not better off; why not call for stripping down all kingdoms of their self proclaimed kings specially in saudia arabia...?

Sorry i meant Khamenei, i always mix up their spellings.

Yea why not... i hate the Saudi rulers and their way of governing anyways, there Mutawa police is laughable to say the least. They are nothing but a disgrace, i am a very anti-monarch person and were it up to me i'd kick them in a heart beat but as long as the Saudi people sit on a nice pile of oil money why would they care or bother with it anyways. I can't wait to see the day oil runs out of Saudi Arabia and see how their ridiculous empire crumbles to the ground.

Turkey is a model Islamic state - it is a developed country and greatly values religious freedom and human rights.

BBC NEWS | Have Your Say | Islam in Turkey: Odd one out

It is not an Islamic, but a secular state, which is one of the reasons it is more or less "developed".

It is interesting that Spain which for more than 1500 years has been a Christian nation which some Islamic influence is cited as the model Islamic state here. It seems Islamic nations are at their best when Islam has the least influence.. see Turkey.

Malaysian Authorities Postpone Whipping of Woman

By THOMAS FULLER, NYTimes
Published: August 24, 2009

BANGKOK — Malaysian authorities gave a last-minute, temporary reprieve on Monday to a Muslim woman sentenced to whipping for drinking alcohol in a case that has stirred passions over the increasingly strict enforcement of Islamic law in recent years in the multicultural country.

Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno, a 32-year-old nurse who confessed to violating Islamic laws by drinking beer in a hotel lobby, was picked up by prison authorities on Monday but was then quickly released. The authorities said Ms. Kartika’s punishment — which would be the first whipping for a woman under the country’s Islamic laws — would be carried out in September, after the Muslim holy month of Ramadan was over.

“The sentence remains,” Mohamed Sahfri Abdul Aziz, the chief of religious affairs in Pahang state said, according to Malaysian media accounts. “She has been released but only temporarily.”

The case has drawn criticism from liberal-leaning Muslims as well as the country’s Chinese and Indian minorities, who fear that the country is drifting away from its secular foundations.

“We’ve allowed this huge Islamic bureaucracy to grow over the last three decades,” Amir Muhammad, an author and filmmaker, said in a telephone interview from Kuala Lumpur, the capital. “The laws were there to show that this is something we disapprove of. But people did not expect them to be enforced that rigidly.”

Ms. Kartika has drawn sympathy among many Muslims in Malaysia, who make up slightly more than half the population of 27 million, because she has repeatedly apologized and offered to have her caning carried out in public as a warning to other Muslims.

On paper, Islamic laws are strict in Malaysia: Muslims can be arrested and punished for snacking during the daylight hours of fasting during Ramadan, being in “close proximity” to someone from the opposite sex who is not their spouse, and drinking alcohol. But enforcement of Islamic law has been haphazard and many Muslims flout the laws with impunity.

“The basic principle is that, if you don’t flaunt it publicly, you can get away with a lot,” Mr. Amir said.

But the scope of Islamic laws appears to have widened in Malaysia over the past few years. Muslims have been prevented from converting to other religions, officials have banned Muslims from working in restaurants or convenience stores that carry alcohol — although this policy has not been fully carried out — and religious authorities have questioned whether Muslims should be allowed to practice yoga. When laws are enforced, Malaysians often complain that the elite are often exempted.

Malaysia’s Islamic laws, which cover marriage, divorce and a specific range of issues related to religious customs, only apply to Muslims. Non-Muslims are subject to the country’s civil laws, which Malaysia inherited from Britain. Foreign Muslim tourists visiting the country, however, are subject to Islamic laws, according to Pawancheek Marican, partner at the law firm Wan Marican, Hamzah & Shaik and a part-time professor of Islamic studies.

Many Malaysian Muslims say they are unhappy with the way Ms. Kartika has been treated and many feel that the punishment — six strokes with a cane — is too harsh. “Among Muslims scholars we are not happy with the way the sentence has been meted out,” Mr. Pawancheek said. “But no one is questioning the law.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/25/world/asia/25malaysia.html?hpw

Well they atleast postponed the whipping for a few days didn't they? As someone said malaysia seems to be on the right lines as to be one of the best islamic state models.

Back
Top Bottom