Mistreatment of women in India

Status
Not open for further replies.

grey boy 2

Reaction score
Country
China
India Safety: Female travellers - India Travel Guide - iGuide

India is a conservative country and some Western habits are perceived as dishonorable for a woman.

Outside of the larger cities, it is unusual for people of the opposite sex to touch each other in public. Even couples (married or otherwise) refrain from public displays of affection. Therefore, it is advised that you do not shake hands with a person of the opposite sex unless the other person extends his/her hand first. The greeting among Hindus is to bring your palms together in front of your chest, or simply saying 'Namaste', or 'Namaskar'. Both forms are equally polite and correct, if a little formal. Almost all the people (even if they don't know English) do understand a "Hi" or a "Hello".
Except in major cities (and only in trendy places or in high society) women do not smoke. A woman who smokes/drinks is associated with loose moral character in much of the rest of the country's growing middle class.

Rape of foreign tourists shames the nation!

Not only women tourists from abroad, our own women are not safe in our country. As a Lucknow girl rightly puts it, �Women are not safe anywhere-in the womb, in their homes, with family, with in-laws, in prison, on the streets or public places�.

Rape Cases in India : Are white female tourists targeted in India? “UK

JOURNALIST raped by a guesthouse owner; US tourist molested at Pushkar, Rajasthan; Japanese student molested; Swiss tourist raped”, scream out the headlines in the national and local press. What is happening to India after all? The scriptures declare ‘Atithi Devo Bhava’ or ‘the guest is God’. The foreign tourists are our guests. But the ground reality tells a different story.

Foreigners are no longer treated as guests. They are an easy prey to human predators. What puzzles me is the scant concern shown to these shameful almost-daily occurrences by those whose duty is to guard the tourists against such things: the government, tourism department, hoteliers, guest-house owners, taxi drivers, parking lot attendants, the moralists, temple priests, the socialites - in short, everybody is indifferent to this important issue. Recently a British tourist was raped in Goa. But the government explained that it was just an isolated incident. Well, it could be so, but how many such incidents would awaken us to the gravity of this serious issue? Molesting, ill-treating, harassing, humiliating, insulting, violating the modesty, stealing the purse and documents, cheating, deceiving and fooling tourists, exploiting their trust and vulnerability, murdering them, etc, constitute a dangerous trend that sends negative signals to the outside world.

The purpose of this thread is for discussion whether India is a safe

place female tourists , please no flame, no troll. Thanks in advance.

India Safety: Female travellers - India Travel Guide - iGuide

India is a conservative country and some Western habits are perceived as dishonorable for a woman.

Outside of the larger cities, it is unusual for people of the opposite sex to touch each other in public. Even couples (married or otherwise) refrain from public displays of affection. Therefore, it is advised that you do not shake hands with a person of the opposite sex unless the other person extends his/her hand first. The greeting among Hindus is to bring your palms together in front of your chest, or simply saying 'Namaste', or 'Namaskar'. Both forms are equally polite and correct, if a little formal. Almost all the people (even if they don't know English) do understand a "Hi" or a "Hello".
Except in major cities (and only in trendy places or in high society) women do not smoke. A woman who smokes/drinks is associated with loose moral character in much of the rest of the country's growing middle class.

Not only women tourists from abroad, our own women are not safe in our country. As a Lucknow girl rightly puts it, �Women are not safe anywhere-in the womb, in their homes, with family, with in-laws, in prison, on the streets or public places�.

Rape Cases in India : Are white female tourists targeted in India? “UK

JOURNALIST raped by a guesthouse owner; US tourist molested at Pushkar, Rajasthan; Japanese student molested; Swiss tourist raped”, scream out the headlines in the national and local press. What is happening to India after all? The scriptures declare ‘Atithi Devo Bhava’ or ‘the guest is God’. The foreign tourists are our guests. But the ground reality tells a different story.

Foreigners are no longer treated as guests. They are an easy prey to human predators. What puzzles me is the scant concern shown to these shameful almost-daily occurrences by those whose duty is to guard the tourists against such things: the government, tourism department, hoteliers, guest-house owners, taxi drivers, parking lot attendants, the moralists, temple priests, the socialites - in short, everybody is indifferent to this important issue. Recently a British tourist was raped in Goa. But the government explained that it was just an isolated incident. Well, it could be so, but how many such incidents would awaken us to the gravity of this serious issue? Molesting, ill-treating, harassing, humiliating, insulting, violating the modesty, stealing the purse and documents, cheating, deceiving and fooling tourists, exploiting their trust and vulnerability, murdering them, etc, constitute a dangerous trend that sends negative signals to the outside world.

The purpose of this thread is for discussion whether India is a safe

place female tourists , please no flame, no troll. Thanks in advance.

troll.... :lol:

Whats the matter with you ? can't you read, no troll, no flame !

So if you had nothing to contribute on the issue of whether India is a

safe place for female tourists, just bug off, ok ?
:smitten::pakistan::china:

well, almost every nations' government has traveling guides and warning, telling how to avoid problems or simply not to go.

Travel Report for India (Canadian Gov)

Travel Report for China (Canadian Gov)

by the way, since a Chinese posted this, I am sure someone will be pointing fingers...
so here, the Canadian Gov's report shows, the same level of alarm as India and China, but the "consequences" maybe different if accidents occurs

*according to both reports:
India:
There have been increased reports of assault, rape and sexual aggression against foreign women.

China:
Petty crime and sexual harassment occur on buses and overnight trains. (No Rape)

Last edited:
OMG, bro, is it true!!! It is unbelievable, I have heared there are many tourists just dispeared in india:tdown:......And bcoz of bussiness things I go to india 3 time per year........ I think it is time for me to collect this kind of news to show my boss, let him change others to go to india, for me my life is more important than anything...:frown:

And please don't forget its a matter of honor for your country's image

so be serious to look into the issue,

Correct me if i was wrong , "Incredible India", "Shinning India"

advertisement slogans of your tourism, but seems to me......

OMG, bro, is it true!!! It is unbelievable, I have heared there are many tourists just dispeared in india:tdown:......And bcoz of bussiness things I go to india 3 time per year........ I think it is time for me to collect this kind of news to show my boss, let him change others to go to india, for me my life is more important than anything...:frown:

Just, Inform me next time when you would be coming to India.

Bro, I think you might be ok since you are a man, but for a female....

Just, Inform me next time when you would be coming to India.

I think there are no next time. I have said "change a man to go to india" many times to my boss. And my boss said most japanese cannt speak english and india fresh student said it is hard to understand japanese english. For this reason I have continued to go to india 3 times per year in the past 3 years and I think this is the time I should stand firm to my boss, bcoz I donnt wanna dy.:frown:

There ain't many places on Earth that are certainly safe.
list of countries, the ones with a red star, consider unsafe...(quite a lot)
Travel Reports & Warnings

luckly my hometown was consider one of the safest place on earth:smokin:

I sometime feel like giving ma behan ki gali to this grey boy 2 and then forget this forum.

Bro, I think you might be ok since you are a man, but for a female....

No, I have heared there are many touist just dispeared in india from my friend, and in my company all of those fox japanese donnt wanna go to india and boss just found a reason of "your english is better than most japanese" and continued sending me there!:frown:

India tourism bosses worry after rape complaints | World | Reuters

NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Indian tourism officials are meeting this week to discuss the safety of tourists after at least seven foreign women and girls said they had been raped or molested over the past 20 days, a ministry spokesman said.

Several of the alleged attacks took place in Rajasthan, one of India's popular tourist destinations, known for its palaces and desert scenery.

The tourism ministry is worried that the reports could deter potential visitors to the country, which is visited by about 4 million foreign tourists each year.

"We've asked states to report to us what happened in these incidents and how they can not be repeated," a ministry spokesman said.

A 35-year-old woman who holds dual citizenship of France and Switzerland told the police on Saturday she had been raped in the Rajasthan town of Pushkar, the Hindustan Times reported.

An American woman said she was molested in the same town a few weeks earlier, while a British woman said she was raped in the city of Udaipur, also in Rajasthan, just before Christmas, the paper said.

Several countries, including the United States and the United Kingdom, warn their citizens that women sometimes face physical harassment by local men, euphemistically known in India as "Eve-teasing".

Guidebooks and travellers often suggest that women wear loose, long clothes as a way of avoiding unwelcome attention.

The tourism ministry says India is no more dangerous for women visitors than other destinations.

(Reporting by Jonathan Allen; Editing by Alistair Scrutton and Sanjeev Miglani)

No lets face it India is not one of the safest destinations for tourists :cheers: so what ? But steps are being taken To bring the perpetrators to books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom