What's new

Militants attack Pakistan checkpost, two dead

hembo

Reaction score
Country
India
Militants attack Pakistan checkpost, two dead
By Lehaz Ali (AFP) – 3 hours ago

PESHAWAR, Pakistan — Scores of Islamist militants armed with rifles and rocket launchers attacked a Pakistani police checkpoint before dawn Wednesday, killing two officers and wounding five others, police said.

There was no confirmation of casualties among the militants because police said the attackers fled after the furious shootout, which took officers an hour to fend off in the suburbs of the northwestern city of Peshawar.

The checkpost in Sarband is near Khyber, part of Pakistan's lawless tribal belt on the Afghan border where missiles fired by CIA drones have killed Taliban and Al-Qaeda operatives. Washington has called the region the most dangerous place on earth.

Police said they repelled an earlier attack at around midnight (1900 GMT Tuesday), but another group of 70 Taliban fighters armed with guns and rocket launchers again laid siege before dawn.

It took police about an hour to fend off each attack, Mohammad Ijaz Khan, a senior police officer, told AFP.

"Two of our policemen were martyred and five wounded," Khan said, noting that the attackers threw hand grenades and fired rockets at the checkpost.

He said the attackers came from Khyber and fled back in the same direction after staging what appeared to be a carefully, planned and stealthy hit.

"They travelled in vehicles towards the checkpost, then left the vehicles in the tribal area and reached the checkpost on foot using infrequent routes."

Police said the assailants were either from Pakistan's umbrella Tehreek-e-Taliban faction or local warlord Mangal Bagh's extremist group Lashkar-e-Islam, both of which have a presence in Khyber.

Pakistani government forces have been fighting Taliban and Al-Qaeda-linked militants in the northwest for years, and thousands of soldiers have lost their lives in a conflict that many in Pakistan see as America's war.

Pakistan was an ally of the former Taliban regime in Afghanistan, but sided with the United States after the September 11, 2001 attacks and Khyber is now a key transit point for supplies for NATO troops based in Afghanistan.

Pakistan has received $18 billion from the United States in the last decade, but its troops have been unable to put down a homegrown insurgency in the northwest despite waging numerous offensives in much of the tribal belt.

A covert US operation that found and killed Osama bin Laden in a Pakistani military academy town just two hours' drive from Islamabad on May 2 has raised serious questions about whether anyone in Pakistan was sheltering him.

Although Pakistan has launched campaigns against homegrown militants, the United States also wants the military to crackdown on groups who use Pakistani territory as a sanctuary to attack Americans across the border in Afghanistan

Tragedy.. Taliban have also killed 2 of our spies. These cockroaches need to be exterminated. But pakistan knows it's territory better than anyone else, due to tough terrain I doubt pakistan would let their soldiers venture out there. Therefore the drones are a must.

RIP

Just out of curiosity was this the same incident were it was reported that NATO attacked a outpost?

RIP

Just out of curiosity was this the same incident were it was reported that NATO attacked a outpost?

No mate.. This is a different incident where about 70 mofos attacked during the midnight, whereas the NATO conflict was due to NATO choppers coming inside Pakistani air-space.

Anyways, RIP to the fallen soldiers. I would have been happy if some or all of those 70 mofos terrorists could be sent to hell instead.

No mate.. This is a different incident where about 70 mofos attacked during the midnight, whereas the NATO conflict was due to NATO choppers coming inside Pakistani air-space.

Anyways, RIP to the fallen soldiers. I would have been happy if some or all of those 70 mofos terrorists could be sent to hell instead.

Thank you for clarifying

RIP

a tragedy is that in last 3days
nato attacked pakistani check post
then came the chechan militants
now taliban have rammed a pakistani check post

don't know why all are attacking pakistani check posts

Brave police officers. RIP to the dead.

I am surprised that many of my fellow Pakistani members do not express as much anger on these militant groups as they do on NATO, when they intrude our territory. Hypocrisy at its peak?

Brave police officers. RIP to the dead.

I am surprised that many of my fellow Pakistani members do not express as much anger on these militant groups as they do on NATO, when they intrude our territory. Hypocrisy at its peak?

I'd rather call it fatigue.

RIP to the Brave Officers..

May ALL the terrorists die miserably or leave Pakistan, no matter where they go!!

RIP to the dead.

Well Dear Brother Muslims can't do this !!!!!! These people are not Muslims.They are Jewish Agents but they're also our muslim brothers so they can also kill us we should talk peace with them instead of fighting them after all they are our brothers.These agents all are a part of New World Order - You don't know much brother.Only enlightened people can understand this huge conspiracy by Zionists..u should read and listen to great General Gul.He knows every dirty secret of zionists.I think the whole destruction in South ASia is a work of this Zionist agent.His picture is below.

You are truly amazing. You talk and think like this when people dies in the hand of militants. Terrorists are still fellow brothers and the blame goes to the Israelis. lol

u should read and listen to great General Gul.
Now this is the result of Zaid Hamid and Hamid Gul brainwashed you.

RIP to the Brave Officers..

May ALL the terrorists die miserably or leave Pakistan, no matter where they go!!

Rest In Peace dear soldiers. May you and your families are showered with praise from patriotic Pakistanis forever.

Unfortunately our precious soldiers will continue to lose their lives as long as we have a sizable number of Pakistanis who aid and abet Islamists, Jihadists and Talibotics.

peace

RIP to the dead.

You are truly amazing. You talk and think like this when people dies in the hand of militants. Terrorists are still fellow brothers and the blame goes to the Israelis. lol

Now this is the result of Zaid Hamid and Hamid Gul brainwashed you.

Perhaps i should have inserted [sarcasm][/sarcasm] tag?Too hard for you to understand.I thought the picture would expose the sarcasm.

Perhaps i should have inserted [sarcasm][/sarcasm] tag?Too hard for you understand.

Lol!! Perhaps you should have.. I too was taken aback for a moment.. Anyways, sorry to have misunderstood your post.. In that case, well said!! ;)

Back
Top Bottom