What's new

MI closes its political wing

compak

Reaction score
ISLAMABAD: Following in the footsteps of Pakistan’s premier intelligence agency – the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) – the Military Intelligence (MI) has also closed its political wing, a reliable source told The Express Tribune.
The decision was made by Chief of Army Staff General Ashfaq Pervez Kayani, who had earlier ordered the closure of ISI’s political wing.
The secret agency has been told to immediately stop gathering information pertaining to the country’s politics, the source said. “MI is not involved in any kind of political business anymore.”
However, according to ISPR spokesperson Major General Athar Abbas, MI was always apolitical. “It is a totally baseless report. MI has nothing to do with the country’s political affairs. It deals purely with the military’s internal matters,” he said. According to sources, MI has been told to concentrate on its main task, ie, the country’s national security with a key thrust on counter-terrorism.
Both the MI and ISI, along with the Intelligence Bureau (IB), have their own specific responsibilities, but all of them are also assigned the task of countering internal and external terrorism.
General Kayani had strictly barred the ISI from political hobnobbing during the 2008 general elections in the country. The step was taken by the army chief in an effort to ensure free and fair general elections.
It appears that General Kayani, who had also served as the head of ISI during General Pervez Musharraf’s tenure, is clearing both the ISI and the MI of political dirt. But in his move to divert the military purely on professionalism, Kayani has managed to remove all those elements in the intelligence services who were not on board in the war against the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan.
In February 2008, when General Musharraf was still the president, General Kayani removed the then MI chief Gen Nadeem Ejaz Ahmed, a close relative of Musharraf and one of his top aides. General Nadeem had played a key role when Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry was forcibly removed by General Musharraf.
In January 2008, General Kayani through a directive had ordered military officers not to maintain contacts with politicians.
On February 13, 2008 General Kayani ordered the withdrawal of serving military officers posted in civil departments.
On March 7, 2008, General Kayani confirmed that the armed forces would stay out of politics and support the new government. He told a gathering of military commanders in the garrison city of Rawalpindi that “the army fully stands behind the democratic process and is committed to playing its constitutional role.” These comments were made at a time when the majority party in parliament was in the process of putting together coalition governments at the centre and in the provinces.
Published in The Express Tribune, September 20th, 2010.

MI closes its political wing – The Express Tribune

But does this mean there wont be any operations such as Operation Midnight Jackal or Operation Clean-up? As I really hate the current government... Somebody stop them plz!!!:pakistan:

Well this is a positive development. The intelligence agencies are ordained to protect the borders not run political campaigns. The closure of political wings does not mean the politicians will not be under radar for their forigen links. However these political wings served the only purpose of shaping internal poltics which has resulted in dismemberment of east-pakistan, uprising in baluchistan, terrorist / taliban insurgency in KP, ethinic tensions in Karachi and wukala riots in lahore.

Pakistan military was and for the forseeable future will be the most important stake holder in Pakistan 's politics wether u close or open a political wing in an intelligence agency . Its not only logical but because i often meet Army officers and know their concerns about the way things are being conducted by highly incompetent civilian setup.

Hmm... Brother you are right about these facts... But Army is perhaps the only disciplined and credible institute in Pakistan which has integrity. And these corrupt politicians only fear the Army... I think perhaps they need to rethink their strategy or perhaps they have already reshaped it... who knows...

But overall I think it is good... Its better not to be preoccupied

What I see as a counter development with closure of political wings is that army will now push competent politicians into mainstream politics rather than futuile attempts to shape existing once's with staged events.Popular rumor says Mushy, Mustafa Kamal and boat load of others are being christened for this purpose.

Thats good. But personally speaking I wouldnt like any of the likes of fascists MQM to be leading us... They are terrorists. I think this All Pakistan Muslim League with conglumeration of Pir Pagaro and PML Q and also perhaps Mushy is something along the same lines... What do you think?

Thats good. But personally speaking I wouldnt like any of the likes of fascists MQM to be leading us... They are terrorists. I think this All Pakistan Muslim League with conglumeration of Pir Pagaro and PML Q and also perhaps Mushy is something along the same lines... What do you think?

There are always two sides of the coin..

May be they are formenting an army enchristened political party to lead a revolution by bringing together all progress minded politicians from all parties under a new identity..

With APML who need MI-Political or ISI-Political??? :rofl::rofl:

Zardari has buried Bhutto appeal for good ... Bhutto will only appeal in parts of Sindh now.

I am talking about political wing of IM. PPP still has a large vote bank.

Better than other parties' vote bank

There are always two sides of the coin..

May be they are formenting an army enchristened political party to lead a revolution by bringing together all progress minded politicians from all parties under a new identity..

With APML who need MI-Political or ISI-Political??? :rofl::rofl:

Yep... If the problem is solved by doing this then their hands are clean... no need to intervene... who needs another Brig Imtiaz?

Back
Top Bottom