What's new

Mexico is top destination for India’s automobile exports

luckych

Reaction score
Mexico is top destination for India’s automobile exports

Mexico has emerged as the top destination for India's automobile exports, making a compelling case for the Indian engineering exporters to further push forward in the growing south American markets, according to EEPC India.

The EEPC India, which would be organising India Pavilion at Expo National Ferretera 2016 to be held in Guadalajara (Mexico) later this week, came up with an analysis which found that the neighbouring US occupied the highest slot for outward shipments of the automobile components, according to AprilJuly data analysis by the engineering exports body EEPC India.

Of the total automobile exports of $2.78 billion between April and July this fiscal, as much as $501 million were shipped to Mexico, followed by Nepal at $157 million and UK at $130 million. These exports to Mexico saw a phenomenal rise of 110 per cent while for Nepal, the increase was even more impressive at 120 per cent for the period under review.

For the UK exports, the rise was 22 per cent. "Auto exports to Mexico were not constrained by a vast distance that our shipments have to cover. Mexico has come to account for as much as 18 per cent of India's total automobile exports.

This is significant," chairman of the apex body of the engineering exporters, T S Bhasin said. While total engineering exports for the AprilJuly 2016 period slipped by 5.82 per cent to $20.27 billion from $21.52 billion in the same period last fiscal, the total automobile exports increased by four per cent to $2.78 billion for the period under review.

Even though shipments fell to destinations like Sri Lanka, South Africa and Bangladesh , they continue to remain important destinations for the auto exports accounting for $158 million, $151 million and Bangladesh $102 million respectively, the EEPC India analysis showed.

For the automobile components, the US remained the top destination, followed by Turkey with shipments at $345 million and $116 million. These exports to the US increased by over eight per cent and Turkey by 1.30 per cent. Total global exports of Indian automobile components aggregated to $1.48 billion during AprilJuly 2016, growing by 4.54 per cent on annualized basis.

Automobiles and automobile components form a major part of India's overall engineering exports and are among the few sectors showing positive trend this fiscal. A large number of Indian IT and pharmaceutical firms including TCS, Infosys, Wipro, Sun Pharma and Dr Reddy's Labs have set up their facilities in Mexico for their stronger presence in Latin America, Bhasin added.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...s-automobile-exports/articleshow/54027068.cms

What kind of automobiles to Mexico,maybe a typo,could be just parts?

Nope not parts (Mexico makes enough of those itself)....but stuff like VW Vento:

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...armakers-this-fiscal/articleshow/48521482.cms

Europe's largest carmaker Volkswagen alone is expected to ship more than 55,000 cars from India to Mexico, while General Motors will ship over 45,000 units of Beat small car, which is sold as Spark in that market. Hyundai's i10 Grand and Xcent, Ford's Figo and Figo Aspire, and Maruti Suzuki's Ciaz are among the other Indian cars headed for Mexico.

What kind of automobiles to Mexico,maybe a typo,could be just parts?

Seems it is legit. Never would have guessed it.

http://auto.economictimes.indiatime...-mexicoannnounces-it-as-major-market/48758713

TLDR version GM/VW/others building cars in India and shipping them to Mexico/South America.

They themselves produce cars if i am not wrong mainly VW i guess

Mexico definitely makes VW's and others.

http://offshoregroup.com/industries/automotive-manufacturing-in-mexico/

Last edited:
Maybe they are the distribution centre of the automobile industry for middle and South America?

It certainly is very odd. Although it looks like they are importing a small class of cars. Not sure why they wouldn't simply build them there. Are wages going sky-high???

@Nilgiri I just get feeling Indian car industry is on the way to going big. Hey even I might have to drive "Made in India" BMW :o:

Still middleweight....heavyweight maybe by 2020 onwards at some point.

Heavyweight to me has to be producing at least 10 million cars annually.

BMW who knows :P They do have a factory in India

LOL:

(Glad he kept his real day job hehe)

@PARIKRAMA @anant_s @Levina @Shotgunner51 @AndrewJin @nair
@proud_indian @Local_Legend @Water Car Engineer @Rajaraja Chola
@Abingdonboy @kadamba-warrior @Ankit Kumar 002

In Pakistan that would be 10 cars assembled.

In Pakistan would be 100 cars assembled.

I am sure with Imran Khan or some semi-competent leader, Pakistan can chase out the car mafia and grow its car industry. It certainly will have the middle class size and depth from 2020 onwards to do so.

@django @LA se Karachi @Khan_21 @Zibago
@farhan_9909

It certainly is very odd. Although it looks like they are importing a small class of cars. Not sure why they wouldn't simply build them there. Are wages going sky-high???

Opportunity cost of bringing every single model to one location. Globalisation means its better to spread and hedge...and have the associated logistics and trading as required.

Another Indian made car in Mexico:

Thats pretty funny because Mexico is a massive automobile exporter itself (esp to neighbour US).
May be they are just stamping the "made in mexico" :p:.

But I dont see any Indian cars going to US, other than perhaps VW. Quality of VW is not great and they are going through a worse phase. Spark is doing well in US. Other cars like grand i10 or other Indian cars are too small for american market.

May be they want to compete on price and take advantage of NAFTA.

@Nilgiri I just get feeling Indian car industry is on the way to going big. Hey even I might have to drive "Made in India" BMW :o:
BMW 3 series will start production in mexico as well by 2019, demand is too high for 3 series in US.

I am waiting for the day when BMW 3 , Tatas jaguar F and Swift compete on equal terms :-). Then I can say Indian market has arrived on international scene

But I dont see any Indian cars going to US, other than perhaps VW. Quality of VW is not great and they are going through a worse phase. Spark is doing well in US. Other cars like grand i10 or other Indian cars are too small for american market.

May be they want to compete on price and take advantage of NAFTA.

Could be. By focusing on importing cheaper made cars from India, the car factories in Mexico can focus on making better margins and optimization for exporting their products to the US/Canada through NAFTA.

I dont think its a straight re-badging...Mexico will get in serious trouble (the NAFTA clauses are pretty water tight) and it will be easy to find them out lol.

Some high class BD invitees for comment: @Anubis @Bilal9 @Loki

And now some baniyan-wallahs too: @kobiraaz @UKBengali @Species @Riyad @TopCat @bluesky :p:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom