What's new

Metro rail to ease plight of Dhaka commuters

Hammer-fist

Reaction score
Metro rail to ease plight of Dhaka commuters

Efforts to transform Bangladesh's outdated transport infrastructure have often run into hurdles, but a key urban rail project is set to move forward.

By Syed Tashfin Chowdhury for Khabar South Asia in Dhaka
December 27, 2012
A larger | smaller | reset post a comment

Amina Kibria Ovi's workday begins long before she arrives at Sir Salimullah Medical College Hospital in Old Dhaka.

Bangladeshi commuters struggle to find a space on public transport during Ramadan in Dhaka, July 30th. A new Metro Rail Transport (MRT) system is expected to help relieve overcrowding and congestion. [Munir uz Zaman/AFP]

From her home in Uttara, on the city's outskirts, it takes the intern nearly one-and-a-half hours to reach her workplace. "But when the traffic is bad, it takes two-to-three hours to cover this distance of nearly 20km by bus, making me late for my duty that starts at 8am," Ovi told Khabar South Asia.

Bank employee Rizwan Saad told Khabar that his 18km commute between Uttara and Motijheel takes him nearly the same amount of time. "With every passing year, this journey period is increasing by 15-to-20 minutes due to increase in private vehicles, lack of fast public transport and roads," he said.

Both Amina and Rizwan eagerly await construction of Bangladesh's first-ever metro rail system, the Metro Rail Transport (MRT) Route 6, which received approval from Bangladesh's Executive Committee of National Economic Council (ECNEC) on December 18th. The nod comes weeks after Japan approved a soft loan worth $2.1b of the project's $2.7b total.

ECNEC approved the 20.1km elevated railway track to be built on the Uttara-Motijheel route via Pallabi. Implemented in three phases, construction may begin as soon as 2013 with a completion date the following year.

Japan lends a helping hand

Japan is providing 76% of project costs, allocating $133m during the current fiscal year. Bangladesh is funding the remainder.

The Japan International Co-operation Agency (JICA) is leading the project. Previously, it helped set up a similar system in Kolkata, India.

In 2010, a JICA study found metro rail trains at three-minute intervals could transport about 60,000 passengers per hour. The Bangladesh government selected the system, but implementation was delayed three years while route development issues were being resolved.

The MRT is part of a 20-year comprehensive Strategic Transport Plan (STP), officially launched in 2008. Its stated goal is to establish an effective network of road, railway and water transport systems over a 17,500 sq. km area, which includes Dhaka as well as the districts of Narayanganj, Gazipur, Munshiganj, Narsingdi and Manikganj.

The plans are ambitious, though implementation has been slow.

According to Mohammed Shamsul Hoque, head of the Transport Division of Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, the STP also calls for Bus Rapid Transit routes. At least one of these – between north Dhaka and Gazipur -- appears to be in the works, with the Asia Development Bank providing a $160m loan.

A second route, between Uttara and Sadarghat, is contingent on financing from the World Bank, which is awaiting results from a probe into alleged corruption related to the Padma Bridge project.

The multipurpose bridge, which will carry both road and rail, will be Bangladesh's largest and is expected to boost the national economy significantly. But the ambitious project, expected to cost $3 billion, has been dogged by financing issues and claims of malfeasance in the selection of contractors.

Metro rail to ease plight of Dhaka commuters - khabarsouthasia.com

Japan a true friend of Bangladesh.

Japanese-class-01.jpg

Bangladeshis studying Japanese in Dhaka.

Flag-Pins-Bangladesh-Japan.jpg

Good luck! It will definitely ease the traffic on roads. But life will be a hell during the construction period.
Agreed. Have to go around more kms than before and hell of traffic created by it.

But yeah, it will be worth the wait.

Good for Dhaka. Brace yourself.

Agreed. Have to go around more kms than before and hell of traffic created by it.

But yeah, it will be worth the wait.

Good for Dhaka. Brace yourself.

2019 is still too far :disagree: idiots made 3 years of delay but can't wait for it

There is a sticky thread - News from Bangladesh. For this type of news. Hello Mod @Oscar @nuclearpak please move the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
Another futuristic news thread, like many dreams were shown before 2008 election like Padma Bridge.

Tell me what have done by this govt during this regime? What infrastructures were built?

Hope this project gets completed by Allah(swt) will and do not meet the same fate as padma bridge.

Btw if we remember correctly lots of futuristic threads were opened on Padma bridge project not so long ago.:rolleyes:

Let us be optimistic as Japan has approved and will pay 80% of the cost.

Once complete it would make transport in Dhaka so much easier

More pipe dream promises by this government for the election.

It is not a pipe dream project by the AL or any govt. It is an ongoing process. JICA had to survey many routes before finalizing it. The delay has been caused by the selection of a part of route that crossed some military installations in Uttara. Military did not budge and the route had to be detoured.

Japan is the best country to build this metro line. Tokyo has a loop railway line. Trains keep on moving from both directions. I hope, finally there will be a loop line in Dhaka, the total kength being extended from the planned 20km to 40 or 50 km.

As I see in Tokyo, some of the important stations may be Junctions with outward bound trains for destinations like Munshiganj, Comilla, Mawa, Nawabganj, Aricha, Tangail, Kisoreganj etc. Today, Bangladesh economy is preparing itself for an economic take-off. For transfering from the present preparation stage to the take-off stage, communication infrastructure will play a crucial role.

Now, I am in Bangladesh in my Zilla home town. I can attest that BD economy has risen and is continuously rising. This country is no more a traditional society. Rural roads that started to be built about 50 years ago have now been carpeted. Motorized vehicles ply over these paved roads that has transformed the rural society to a mechanized one. I think, today only our NW is little behind, but this area is also coming up fast.

I think, a much larger scale transformation will occur when both the railway and road trnsportation systems are developed and extended. This is how the society will enter more into a market economy and a little faster economic take-off will be possible. I do not think, it is possible to reach the covetted target of a midlle income country unless the communication infrastructure is progressively developed.

visit Sylhet region... Some places look like Europe there!

Some of them are hardcore wanna be londoners :lol:

Eorl ⚔;3752729 said:
Another futuristic news thread, like many dreams were shown before 2008 election like Padma Bridge.

Tell me what have done by this govt during this regime? What infrastructures were built?

Stop weeping and embrace what you have got. Look at all the flyovers, look at hatirjheel project, Banani overpass, widening of roads and building of new bridges. Lots of corruption sure went on but we can do nothing about it now. And the deal of this project is already signed i think. Will take 5-6 years to build this

Some of them are hardcore wanna be londoners :lol:

Stop weeping and embrace what you have got. Look at all the flyovers, look at hatirjheel project, Banani overpass, widening of roads and building of new bridges. Lots of corruption sure went on but we can do nothing about it now. And the deal of this project is already signed i think. Will take 5-6 years to build this

Hmm... I'm happy what ever I have got, but become unhappy when people hide AL's deception showing their false dream.

Which flyover? The biggest Jatrabari flyover is not any AL venture.

Hateerjheel is not a venture of this govt. but of care taker govt. Don't know?

Do not know about Banani overpass who took this venture. AL may be :undecided:

And some widening of roads and building of new bridge are nothing compared to the manifesto which were given by this Govt before 2008. Ever saw the dream-line manifesto of AL?

Eorl ⚔;3754156 said:
Hmm... I'm happy what ever I have got, but become unhappy when people hide AL's deception showing their false dream.

Which flyover? The biggest Jatrabari flyover is not any AL venture.

Hateerjheel is not a venture of this govt. but of care taker govt. Don't know?

Do not know about Banani overpass who took this venture. AL may be :undecided:

And some widening of roads and building of new bridge are nothing compared to the manifesto which were given by this Govt before 2008. Ever saw the dream-line manifesto of AL?

So all the credits go to the starter of projects according to you? :D
And yes AL isn't even close to its promises , i myself fell victim to nighmarish traffic jam while travelling to my village

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom