What's new

Mental Health Corner

Thanks for the thread. @jaibi

This is a major issue in Pakistan that many people just don't seem to want to talk about. We should discuss this more openly so that those that need help can be helped and any stigmas can be removed. We are all human and there are many things that can feel overwhelming.

I hope and pray everyone going through any difficult period to find the right help and comfort soon. You are all in my prayers.

Just one question, what's the difference between a Psychologist and a Psychiatrist?
Psychiatry is a medical specialty (MCPS/FCPS) which is done after your MBBS degree. A psychiatrist mostly deals with treating mental illnesses with medicine such as anti-depressants, SSRIs, Anti-psychotics and other drugs.

Psychologists treat mental illnesses without having the authority to prescribe medicines( although, they can in some rare cases and countries). They usually treat patients by connecting with them and helping them with their issues through varies means including Psychotherapy, Hypnotherapy, CBT etc. Psychology and Psychiatry are both essential for each other and complement one another in curing mental illnesses. One can become a psychologist after a 4 year (5 in some countries) undergraduate degree program.

Very good thread and as a fellow health care profession, I thank you for raising awareness for mental health. We need to get more people to talk about mental health. My area of expertise is pharmacy/medication, so if I can help anyone regarding medication question, please feel free to ask. :wave:

Great thread, specially as for few reasons I am suffering from depression I haven't gotten it checked yet. But sometimes despite everything going smoothly in my life I really feel depressed. One major reason or fear I often get is afraid of ending up alone in life. This fear keeps bothering and is getting bad to worse by every passing day.

Get married bro.

Bahijaan, I was of the same opinion back then too :) you advised me the same too :D other than that, I'm here to help you how I can; if i were a woman, I'd have helped you look for someone :D
@jaibi He gets it. Please do dua for me

Awesome, mate. There are people who've asked me about medications, could you look at those posts? Initial thread. Thanks!
Very good thread and as a fellow health care profession, I thank you for raising awareness for mental health. We need to get more people to talk about mental health. My area of expertise is pharmacy/medication, so if I can help anyone regarding medication question, please feel free to ask. :wave:

Don't think I can add to this comprehensive answer @Valar and thank you, for helping out, brother!
Psychiatry is a medical specialty (MCPS/FCPS) which is done after your MBBS degree. A psychiatrist mostly deals with treating mental illnesses with medicine such as anti-depressants, SSRIs, Anti-psychotics and other drugs.

Psychologists treat mental illnesses without having the authority to prescribe medicines( although, they can in some rare cases and countries). They usually treat patients by connecting with them and helping them with their issues through varies means including Psychotherapy, Hypnotherapy, CBT etc. Psychology and Psychiatry are both essential for each other and complement one another in curing mental illnesses. One can become a psychologist after a 4 year (5 in some countries) undergraduate degree program.

Ameen, bahijaan, thank you for your kind words as well, I really appreciate it!
Thanks for the thread. @jaibi

This is a major issue in Pakistan that many people just don't seem to want to talk about. We should discuss this more openly so that those that need help can be helped and any stigmas can be removed. We are all human and there are many things that can feel overwhelming.

I hope and pray everyone going through any difficult period to find the right help and comfort soon. You are all in my prayers.

Brother, would you like me to PM you so you can discuss it in privacy?
@jaibi Sir would like to ask about my cousin she is a laywer in uk but she sometimes beat herself sometimes remembering old stuff.

Well bro I sincerely would pray and hope you get well soon but i don`t know i get a feeling like you have caught some badeye(Nazar) if you believe it or not just pray and keep positive everything will workout.

@jaibi thank you anyways will ask her consent first but she did told me she is going to psychiatrist and taking medication.Just need to ask why would someone harm themselves or have suicidal thoughts is it due to trauma.

Sure, bro. Suicide is an impulse when your mind is overwhelmed by stress and negative thoughts given a particular mix of emotions especially hopelessness then in that moment the aggression turns towards the self - self harm. They can't help feel this way, it's not in their hands and it's not a question about willpower. Imagine asking a person who's broken their legs to run a marathon and making them feel like a loser when they can't. Trauma requires treatment.
@jaibi thank you anyways will ask her consent first but she did told me she is going to psychiatrist and taking medication.Just need to ask why would someone harm themselves or have suicidal thoughts is it due to trauma.

Sure, bro. Suicide is an impulse when your mind is overwhelmed by stress and negative thoughts given a particular mix of emotions especially hopelessness then in that moment the aggression turns towards the self - self harm. They can't help feel this way, it's not in their hands and it's not a question about willpower. Imagine asking a person who's broken their legs to run a marathon and making them feel like a loser when they can't. Trauma requires treatment.
In this day and age more people are going through these stress or anxiety phase.Although she is getting help but this also raises a question here in pakistan people are becoming more stressful/frustrated or angry and no one guide them, and in our "society" there is this perceptions that only metal goes to psychiatrist. Which slowly is getting better but more needs to be done on awareness Thank you

Bro, psychiatrists are a part of the team she needs a good psychologist and the support of her loved ones as well. We're a team :) hope she does great, I'll help however I can.
In this day and age more people are going through these stress or anxiety phase.Although she is getting help but this also raises a question here in pakistan people are becoming more stressful/frustrated or angry and no one guide them, and in our "society" there is this perceptions that only metal goes to psychiatrist. Which slowly is getting better but more needs to be done on awareness Thank you

Every Pakistani suffers from some sort of mental fatigue.

From severe economic depression to civil war to war on terror to understanding what the hell is democracy.

I say counselling should be made free.

People need to vent out and like in a serious way

Agreed. It's a sad state of the world but we're still.standing and still fighting on with a smile
Every Pakistani suffers from some sort of mental fatigue.

From severe economic depression to civil war to war on terror to understanding what the hell is democracy.

I say counselling should be made free.

People need to vent out and like in a serious way

Bahijaan, I was of the same opinion back then too :) you advised me the same too :D other than that, I'm here to help you how I can; if i were a woman, I'd have helped you look for someone :D

Awesome, mate. There are people who've asked me about medications, could you look at those posts? Initial thread. Thanks!

Don't think I can add to this comprehensive answer @Valar and thank you, for helping out, brother!

Ameen, bahijaan, thank you for your kind words as well, I really appreciate it!

Brother, would you like me to PM you so you can discuss it in privacy?
My biggest fear of ending up lonely is what is bothering me. That is giving me nightmares.

My biggest fear of ending up lonely is what is bothering me. That is giving me nightmares.
I feared that too...I have a very low self-esteem and thought I am not worthy of anyone and worst...but we all find someone in life...expectedly and unexpectedly. What is written for us will happen... I now have a girlfriend( its wrong but it is what it is)...I am sure you will also find a spouse who will accept you and embrace you. I am usually pessimistic but you will see, life is fortunate.

Brother, given at the age you are it's quite natural to feel that way. It's normal to do so; however, I think counseling would definitely help you figure stuff out and move with clarity.

Agreed, life brings unexpected turns but I still think Zarvan bro should try counseling for once. @Zarvan bro, I've opened a PM with you, in case you want to talk there.

And you'd do great man, i can see you're a talented guy :)
I feared that too...I have a very low self-esteem and thought I am not worthy of anyone and worst...but we all find someone in life...expectedly and unexpectedly. What is written for us will happen... I now have a girlfriend( its wrong but it is what it is)...I am sure you will also find a spouse who will accept you and embrace you. I am usually pessimistic but you will see, life is fortunate.

Back
Top Bottom