translate amount: Putin's watch $500,000 usd
Obama (picture missed amount) $300 usd
Xi Jiping 90-100 rmb (back in 1982)
Lady Peng $5000 usd
Kim Jong Un $4000 CAD
Liang Jun Ying (the Swatch!) $100 Hkd
Ma Ying Jeou $300 UK
Harper -does not wear watch

They already made a movie about Putin's watches.

Russians, specifically Russian Jews , have a fond affinity for watches. I've tons of Russian Jewish friends and they literally have collections of watches ; its like an art for them.

Had many earlier including Casio, Bulova, Seiko and Omega. Broke them all!
Stopped wearing them.
Would consider a Casio G-shock if tested & recommended by adventurous people
or maybe a Citizen Eco-Drive if I got one today.

Otherwise agreed to Gambit, jewelry!
Fragile little buggers, Tay.

I only wear 2 watches for work

1) Seiko

2) Tag Heuer

What about you, Sir Gambit? What do you wear?
I had an Omega Seamaster auto that was literally crushed to death. I was helping load cargo on a C-130 and my left arm was caught between two pallets. My left arm was in a sling for a few weeks but the watch saved the arm from multiple compound fractures.

My current watches are a Hamilton Navy Khaki GMT and a Glycine Base 22 Mystery. I wear the Hamilton most of the time and the Glycine when I go out for night events. Both are on NATO straps.

Leather, Nylon, NATO Watch Straps - Crown and Buckle
OMEGA Watches: Fine Jewellery - Introduction collection

Some watches do look good or even better on NATO straps. Rolex-es with the gold should be on their original bands but the SS (stainless steel) models do look good on NATO straps. Basically, SS watches never go wrong on NATO straps. Makes you look more 'manly'.

Recently I have started looking into watches, as I am looking for my first watch because I never use to like them.
If you are a man and a gent, wear a watch. Stainless steel and auto. Chicks dig it. They do not say it, but women are more observant about such little things in men. Women are tough to figure out to start, but a good quality watch says more about a man than his fashion jeans.

As for some starters good brands are more like boyish (Fossil,Espirt,Police,Casio and etc).
Stay away from fashion watches like the plague. In essence, they ARE plagues. They are for boys, not men. At least not the kind of men who know how to drive a manual transmission shift cars, ride motorcycles larger than 900cc, and do not shave on the weekends.

Last edited:
The best watches its not made by european or swisstzerland but by japanese, yes it seem the best watches are made by seiko, i own one, i owned seiko kinetic diver ska 413 and it the best buck for value

I had an Omega Seamaster auto that was literally crushed to death. I was helping load cargo on a C-130 and my left arm was caught between two pallets. My left arm was in a sling for a few weeks but the watch saved the arm from multiple compound fractures.

My current watches are a Hamilton Navy Khaki GMT and a Glycine Base 22 Mystery. I wear the Hamilton most of the time and the Glycine when I go out for night events. Both are on NATO straps.

Leather, Nylon, NATO Watch Straps - Crown and Buckle
OMEGA Watches: Fine Jewellery - Introduction collection

Some watches do look good or even better on NATO straps. Rolex-es with the gold should be on their original bands but the SS (stainless steel) models do look good on NATO straps. Basically, SS watches never go wrong on NATO straps. Makes you look more 'manly'.

If you are a man and a gent, wear a watch. Stainless steel and auto. Chicks dig it. They do not say it, but women are more observant about such little things in men. Women are tough to figure out to start, but a good quality watch says more about a man than his fashion jeans.

Stay away from fashion watches like the plague. In essence, they ARE plagues. They are for boys, not men. At least not the kind of men who know how to drive a manual transmission shift cars, ride motorcycles larger than 900cc, and do not shave on the weekends.

Know any poplar brands wore by USAF?

Know any poplar brands wore by USAF?
Yes, I have seen more Casio and Timex watches than any other brands on aircrew.

When you spend a couple Ks or more on an Omega or Rolex, it is difficult to wear it in an environment where the watch can get beat up. It is understandable. So inexpensive Casios with their large digital displays are popular when there is a need for a quick glance or when view in the dark. Off the flightline, a lot of guys changes to their fancier and more expensive watches. For me, I see my watches as tools as much as they are 'manly' jewelry. I bought them as tools, not as investments so I can resell on ebay later. All my autos throughout the yrs have scratches and even gouges in their casements.

Today, any watch no matter brand or price range that advertises as a 'pilot' watch is purely a marketing gimmick. But in the old prop jobber days, watches that have slide rule functions to calculate fuel load or cross wind were truly useful tools. GMT and multiple time zones monitor were often necessary because some airfields in less developed countries do not have lighted runways, so pilots must know sunset times in destination time zones so they can plan departure time in their current time zones.

Pageb71 Flying at Night
Nothing in FAR Part 91 requires lights for takeoff or landing at night at either controlled or uncontrolled airports. However ATC cannot clear you to land at an unlighted runway. They can say that any landing is at your own risk.
A lot of those less sophisticated runways shut down a couple hrs after sunset. Nobody in the tower, if you can call a two-story shack a 'tower', nobody running ground crew to taxi you in, and nobody to refuel you for a quick turnaround if you wanted one. A good GMT with multi functions automatic watch was your friend and many times -- your savior.

High end autos with those tools do have them fully functional.

Why Some Pilot Watches Have a Slide Rule
Turns out that even today many pilots are taught how to use a slide rule bezel in flight school – both civilian and military.

To discuss this topic a bit more I was lucky enough to speak with famous retired Navy pilot and US astronaut Mark Kelly. I was trying to determine whether most pilots were familiar with this tool, and if they were used very often. Kelly happens to be a rather dedicated Breitling watch lover, and has a long history with precision tools and machines. He mentioned to me that in pilot school he did in fact learn how to use a slide rule and watch bezel slide rule. Not only that, but he said that he would frequently use his watch to perform some of the calculations slide rule bezels were designed for when he was a Navy pilot.
Pilots like Kelly are somewhat rare today, but aviation is such a historied and distinguished field that those in it find it difficult not to pay homage to the pioneers of their profession. The automatic watch with those tools saved many lives and watchmakers do have enough respect not to toy with people's expectations.

Finally, get Swiss or nothing. The Japanese do make a few fine automatic movements, but the best from Seiko still cannot match the standard from the Swiss. If you cannot afford an Omega or a Panerai, like most of us cannot, then a Hamilton or Glycine will do just fine. Both brands have long aviation histories.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

That said, you have some misconceptions namely, Omega is affordable to anyone with a job (entry models for sure-Omega's are a protocolary gift to an employee when he goes to retirement) and Panerai, unless you want it for the aesthetics (into which i won't go as to everyone his own) or the Marina Militare heritage is an overpriced "scam" hyped up by Sly Stallone who saved the brand from sinking. For that money you get much much more "wow factor" from other manufacturers.

Additionally, Panerai isn't even Swiss, well, it is now
(bought by Richemont group, after Stallone provided the publicity-all they did was to jack up prices), but it's originaly Italian. The single biggest black dot in their file is, someone opened a Panerai a few years back and they found a cheap (relatively 500€ in 5k€ watch), generic mechanism that's being sold by ETA to clockmakers. For more info you can search "Panerai movement scandal".

Names like Hublot, Patek Phillipe, Franck Muller, Audemars Piguet are the "unaffordable" ones. Proper "man jewellery". :enjoy:

Last edited:
A look at the time of the powerful

It is said that time is money. But time is power too. It can make or break a person. And given time, any person can do wonders. With time comes power and it with comes with the responsibility of handling it judiciously. And so on and so forth.

Given today’s world, it is no wonder how people view time as precious. Maybe that is why Swiss watchmakers probably take so much effort in assembling a masterpiece of time that adds the power of carrying it in ones hands. But has anyone wondered what the people of power wear on their wrists? Here are the timeless watches that the worlds most powerful wear to control time.

c%205_0.jpg

Barack Obama, President - USA
TAG Heuer: Aqua racerPrice: $2600

‘Mr. President’ has been wearing this watch for over 15 years. It does make us wonder whether the watch is just for show or has utility for a man whose appointments go by the second. As for being the world’s most powerful man he sure does wear simplicity with class on his wrist.

c%201_0.jpg

2.Vladimir Putin, President - Russia
Lange and Sohne: Tourbograph Price: $600,000

Yes. You read it right and that’s what it will be if you read it a hundred times over. The Russian premier is known for his watch collection with this just being his favorite. The numbers reach a whopping 700 watches in his collection and the costs, a fortune.

c%203.jpg

3.Angela Merkel, Chancellor - Germany
Boccia Titanium Price: $150

We all remember the lady in a red coat who jumped up in joy as the German team lifted the 2014 FIFA World Cup earlier this year. This leader of Germany wears a watch worth a mere 150 dollars and carries it off without a flinch.
Mr. President you’ve got competition on the simplicity front.

c%204.jpg

4.Nikolas Sarkozy, Former President - France
Patek Philippe Perpetual Calendar White Gold Price: $30,000

The former French premier is known for his style. And the reason for him to wear the watch is what the world knows the French for, Love. Model and partner of Mr. Sarkozy, Carla Bruni has planted this masterpiece on his wrist. Given her illustrious past, it comes as no surprise that she should gift such a beauty!

c%202_0.jpg

5.Narendra Modi, Prime Minister - India
Movado Price: $2295

India’s premier and the most influential man in the Indian subcontinent, Narendra Modi is surely a person of good taste. The Prime Minister’s favorite watch comes from the workshops of Movado in Switzerland. It is not just style, it is class.

Source:- A look at the time of the powerful | TAFE CAFE

I love Casio, especially Frogman Series, other than that SevenFriday is my second favorite. Would I spend a fortune on Watches, heck no way.

I had Casio F91 (the old school one) and a Swatch. Casio is like former Nokia smartphones. Almost unbreakable. The Swatch one for 100€ was a piece of shit!

Recently I have started looking into watches, as I am looking for my first watch because I never use to like them. As for some starters good brands are more like boyish (Fossil,Espirt,Police,Casio and etc). If someone is looking for chronograph automatic watches which usually Swiss made and considered luxury brands. I like Breitling's Navitimer, Rolex's Submariner is also very famous, Tag Heur and Tissot. I am looking at Tissot's visodate which is somewhat affordable automatic dress watch. If I ever had money I'll buy Tissot's Visodate or any other.

I go through watches like .... I have "murdered" 1 swatch , tissot , g shock , seiko ....

I just can't take care of my stuff!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom