What's new

Manmohan's legacy for Modi: A specially-designed fleet of BMW series

I dont think Modi will decide the vehicle. Its prerogative of SPG and they alone will decide. Modi is too clever to play tantrums for something like this.

LOL you still thinking about it, you didn't see that emoticon at the end :haha: I was just kidding man I know that BMWs are way more safe and secure than Scorpio or for that matter any other Indian car. @Abingdonboy
Already cleared my doubt why we shouldn't replace S7 with Indian cars.

Yes, but not as VVIP transport.
BMWs offer better protection and quality. Besides, we already got them, why on earth would we use something inferior to them?

Jaguar used to do a modified extended version of their XJ cars which the Royal family used, now if it's good enough for the Queen I am sure once it was modified it would be good for the PM too but the next XJ will be made in India.
First mate, the threat perception of the Queen of England is FAR lower than that of an Indian PM. The security Modi will be getting will eclipse the security that she and most Western Heads of State get. So the argument that "if it is good enough for her it is good enough for the Indian PM" is entirely moot.

As for the Jaguar XJ, it would be interesting if the SPG gave the specifications to Tata and see what Jaguar can come up with based on the XJ.

But, like I've said, there is a reason why the only people using armoured Jaguars are the British VVIPs and why almost every other head of state in the world uses German armoured vehicles.

I thought it would be done by another external company but BMW themselves offer the security and modifications they have a website on this.
Like I said bro, BMW and Mercedes design their top-end sedans with an armoured/security variant in mind. This is a legitimate business model they have perfected over the years.

You are right @Abingdonboy I only came to know of it once I visited the BMW vehicle security website as I thought it might have been done by a external company but these firms like BMW and Merc been in the game a long time.

But yes TATA could make a Modified version of the new XJ if they had special instructions which would be cool to see!

But yes TATA could make a Modified version of the new XJ if they had special instructions which would be cool to see!
The point is that even if TATA makes Modified version of XJ it won't be as secure as BMWs. And that's what the reason is. Else even Scorpio can be modified but it's about the level of excellence.

The point is that even if TATA makes Modified version of XJ it won't be as secure as BMWs. And that's what the reason is. Else even Scorpio can be modified but it's about the level of excellence.

That is true these german firms have been doing it for a long time but Jaguar has a very good team too and have been modifying cars for the British royal family etc for a long time also.

That is true these german firms have been doing it for a long time but Jaguar has a very good team too and have been modifying cars for the British royal family etc for a long time also.
Well yeah but still they are behind Germans, don't know when we Indians will achieve this level of excellence in cars. Cause i don't see it happening anytime soon until we are totally developed.

BMWs are not Manmohan's legacy to be fair. They were first used by Vajpayee and Manmohan just continued with the same cars until 2009 when they upgraded it with new ones. I am pretty sure Modi will do the same thing.

Yes Jag can up-armour their vehicles like they have been doing but it's doubtful they would reach the level of mastery as the Germans have. The Germans dominate this field. And like I've said, it is irrelevant to use the point about the UK Royal family as the threat perceptions to them are so much less than any Indian PM that what is good enough for them isn't good enough for an Indian PM necessarily. I mean the UK Royals still occasionally drive around in totally unarmoured vehicles which is unthinkable for any Indian PM.

There is a reason the British VVIPs are the ONLY VVIPs in the world using German cars and everyone else for the most part uses German cars.

Just stick with the 7 Series Security though, no point in commissioning a brand new vehicle for Jaguar which is at most going to meet the 7 Series Security's performance (unlikely to surpass it) but will cost quite a bit more. The BMWs in the SPG's fleet are barely 2 years old, no point in getting rid of them on some vanity project. In this industry the 7 Series Security literally sets the standard and is the bench mark other car companies use to measure their products by.

Well yeah but still they are behind Germans, don't know when we Indians will achieve this level of excellence in cars. Cause i don't see it happening anytime soon until we are totally developed.

If we improve our economy it will mean Indian firms can go shopping for western technology and companies, look at Mercedes c which is 10% owned by a rich arab or something.

TATA buying JLR has not only got a brilliant car company which is making profit but also the hi-tech skills that came with the company.Other Indian car companies like Mahindra can do the same and seek out western car companies and then get it's technology as well.

TATA buying JLR has not only got a brilliant car company which is making profit but also the hi-tech skills that came with the company.Other Indian car companies like Mahindra can do the same and seek out western car companies and then get it's technology as well.
But still it will be much expensive which won't be feasible for Indian Cos and for Indian people as well. So until out country is developed and per capita income improves it won't be feasible for the companies.

But still it will be much expensive which won't be feasible for Indian Cos and for Indian people as well. So until out country is developed and per capita income improves it won't be feasible for the companies.
With 1.2+ billion people if even 2% can afford this sort of product the market will still be HUGE and will well be worth the investment by Indian firms.

Back
Top Bottom