What's new

Malaysia Secures Projects Worth RM10 Billion (USD 3.22 B) In Bangladesh

CaPtAiN_pLaNeT

Reaction score
October 19, 2011 10:04 AM

Malaysia Secures Projects Worth RM10 Billion In Bangladesh

BERNAMA - Malaysia Secures Projects Worth RM10 Billion In Bangladesh

From E. Sivabalan

DHAKA, Oct 19 (Bernama) -- Malaysia has secured infrastructure projects worth a whopping RM10 billion in Bangladesh to be implemented beginning early next year over a period of between two and five years, says Malaysia's Special Envoy, Datuk Seri S.Samy Vellu here Wednesday.

Kuala Lumpur and Bangladesh inked a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to facilitate the implementation of the projects here last night.

The document would be handed over to the Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina by Samy Vellu here on Thursday.

Describing the deal as a "win-win", the former Malaysian works minister who is on a four-day working visit to Bangladesh, said the projects include housing; satellite townships; a flyover and water treatment, and sewerage treatment plants.

He said the first project involving the construction of 161 blocks of 16-storey apartments, worth almost RM3 billion, in Uttara near here would commence early next year.

"Both governments (Malaysia and Bangladesh) sealed the MOU after more than six months of negotiations. It is indeed a proud achievement for Malaysia," Samy Vellu told reporters after signing the MOU on behalf of the Malaysian government.

The signatories from the Bangladesh government were State Minister for Housing and Public Works Abdul Mannan Khan; and the State Minister for Local Government, Rural Government and Cooperatives Jahangir Kabir Nanok.

Samy Vellu, who was appointed the Special Envoy with Ministerial rank for Infrastructure to India and South Asia last January, said work on the RM3 billion apartment project was expected to start in a few months after the signing of the agreement.

Another project that would take off next year would be the 10.8km four-lane Poltan-Mawa Road flyover project worth RM1 billion, he said.

Samy Vellu said other projects include the construction of affordable housing for squatters and a new satellite township on a 400 hectare land at Kamrangichar and another similar development in Mohammadpur here.

"Malaysia will also construct the Dhalla-Jamirta well field to supply clean water to Dhaka," he said, adding that several Malaysian companies have shown interest to participate in the RM10 billion project.

Samy Vellu said the Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB) would monitor and act as the executing agency for the projects to be jointly undertaken with the respective departments in Bangladesh.

"I am happy that after months of discussions and negotiations, we (Malaysia and Bangladesh) have finally agreed to implement the projects," he said.

Samy Vellu also said the next step would be to finalise the costing and other aspects of the projects and then seal agreements between CIDB and the respective departments in Bangladesh.

He added several Malaysian companies have been identified to undertake the projects, some through joint ventures, with interested parties.

"I will brief Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak upon my return to Malaysia (on Friday) and then hold a media conference to explain about the projects in detail," he said.

-- BERNAMA

As far as I know in Uttara due to the airport no house/apartment is allowed to build beyond 6th floor. Then how come this 161 unit of 16 story building will be built there. As the work is scheduled to be started within months then is it certain that the present airport is going to be relocated from the present position and the new 7.5 billion usd airport will be built soon??? Is there any update on the airport.

Go Malaysia Go...:yahoo:

---------- Post added at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

As far as I know in Uttara due to the airport no house/apartment is allowed to build beyond 6th floor. Then how come this 161 unit of 16 story building will be built there. As the work the scheduled to be started within months then is it certain that the present airport is going to be relocated from the present position and the new 7.5 billion usd airport will be built soon??? Is there any update on the airport.

Yes the new location is already selected and more likely in Munsiganj near Padma bridge.

By the way in Uttara there are plenty of 20 storeyed building. As long as they are no in the flight path, they should be fine i guess.

Go Malaysia Go...:yahoo:

---------- Post added at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

Yes the new location is already selected and more likely in Munsiganj near Padma bridge.

By the way in Uttara there are plenty of 20 storeyed building. As long as they are no in the flight path, they should be fine i guess.

in uttara the 20 storied build those are being built are without permit... but anyway if really 161 16 storied building are being built ... it will change the skyline of uttara or dhaka for sure...

N regarding the airport I heard that bhanga site was getting more priority ... even though some other site was selected. Any idea on the bhanga site near faridpur.

in uttara the 20 storied build those are being built are without permit... but anyway if really 161 16 storied building are being built ... it will change the skyline of uttara or dhaka for sure...

N regarding the airport I heard that bhanga site was getting more priority ... even though some other site was selected. Any idea on the bhanga site near faridpur.

there are 3 sites now being considered, munshiganj, faridpur and some other one. But the final knod will come from the investors themselves. I highly doubt that they will go for any site which is too far from Dhaka. First site in Munshiganj was selected due to the preferences from the investors.

MOU then unknown unknown unknown ...........................................................
With current state of Awami regime and endless corruption scam coming out any business venture would be extremely cautious on implementation of any deal, let alone $3 billion project.They way flagship deep sea port and padma bridge project turned out one can only expect less....

there are 3 sites now being considered, munshiganj, faridpur and some other one. But the final knod will come from the investors themselves. I highly doubt that they will go for any site which is too far from Dhaka. First site in Munshiganj was selected due to the preferences from the investors.

Got the article ... there it is mentioned the Char Jannat of Shibchar Upazila of Madaripur district is getting priority.

2011-08-19__f02.jpg

Priority on char

If this location has been choosen just wondering whether Dhaka-Mawa highway will be chosen as the route to connect dhaka to the airport. N if this route is really chosen then what will be the economic implication of the route Dhaka-Mawa highway and its surrounding areas and obviously of the presently proposed rajuk project "Jhilmil". Can you shed some light...

MOU then unknown unknown unknown ...........................................................
With current state of Awami regime and endless corruption scam coming out any business venture would be extremely cautious on implementation of any deal, let alone $3 billion project.They way flagship deep sea port and padma bridge project turned out one can only expect less....

The proposed apartment project is long overdue by Rajuk and the satellite township that will be built here. I heard earlier that 6 such township will be built but here it is mentioned only about 2. Any idea on that.

I was not aware of the paltan mawa flyover earlier... do you know anything about it? possibly it is to connect the new airport to the dhaka city...what is your thought on this...

Got the article ... there it is mentioned the Char Jannat of Shibchar Upazila of Madaripur district is getting priority.

2011-08-19__f02.jpg

Priority on char

If this location has been choosen just wondering whether Dhaka-Mawa highway will be chosen as the route to connect dhaka to the airport. N if this route is really chosen then what will be the economic implication of the route Dhaka-Mawa highway and its surrounding areas and obviously of the presently proposed rajuk project "Jhilmil". Can you shed some light...

Well I am not well versed about that area and commuting. But all the sites being considered keeping in mind of the new Padma bridge and relevant highways comes with it. Seems like there will be a elevated ways up to Mawa??? or up to Mawa road. There are too many projects coming up and which is connecting to what confuses the hell out of me.

Ohh another thing, The Kuril flyover and Purbachal project will take you up to Chittagong road from Uttara. Can I go to new airport through this road???

Well I am not well versed about that area and commuting. But all the sites being considered keeping in mind of the new Padma bridge and relevant highways comes with it. Seems like there will be a elevated ways up to Mawa??? or up to Mawa road. There are too many projects coming up and which is connecting to what confuses the hell out of me.

no based on the article the cell proposed a tunnel through the padma river to connect it to the other bank of the river.

He said the cell will also propose construction of a tunnel road under the Padma river connecting the airport and the north bank of the river, so communication between the capital and the airport can be easy and smooth, by reducing the existing road distance by five kilometres.

---------- Post added at 03:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 AM ----------

Ohh another thing, The Kuril flyover and Purbachal project will take you up to Chittagong road from Uttara. Can I go to new airport through this road???

not likely... uttara is at the north side and this is at the south and dhaka-chittagong highway is also far away... just see the map...

madaripur bangladesh - Google Maps

---------- Post added at 03:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 AM ----------

just zoom it little bit... the mark N1 beside dhaka is the Dhaka-Chittagong highway.

no based on the article the cell proposed a tunnel through the padma river to connect it to the other bank of the river.

---------- Post added at 03:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 AM ----------

not likely... uttara is at the north side and this is at the south and dhaka-chittagong highway is also far away... just see the map...

madaripur bangladesh - Google Maps

The cell got infected by Hasina's fertile brain. They could not even secure the funding for one Padma bridge, they started talking about 2nd one and now tunnel. Idiots... The whole country needs massive infra investment, we just cant spend all our money on Padma river.

The cell got infected by Hasina's fertile brain. They could not even secure the funding for one Padma bridge, they started talking about 2nd one and now tunnel. Idiots... The whole country needs massive infra investment, we just cant spend all our money on Padma river.

lol they are also talking about tunnel road under the karnaphuli river also...:P I heard that they said even indian can use it as part of transit.

---------- Post added at 03:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 AM ----------

Chinese firm may get feasibility study job for Karnaphuli tunnel

The Bangladesh Bridge Authority (BBA) has undertaken the project in 2010 for the Tk 20 billion multi-lane Karnaphuli tunnel project to boost road linkage between Chittagong and the fast-booming resort town of Cox's Bazar.

Thursday, October 20, 2011
Front Page
KL unveils mega building plan for Bangladesh

KL unveils mega building plan for Bangladesh

Staff Correspondent

The Malaysian government intends to invest Tk 27,450 crore in building flats, flyover and satellite towns in Bangladesh, said ministers of both the countries at a joint press conference in Dhaka yesterday.

The two governments signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) in this regard on Tuesday.

Malaysia aims to build 20,000 flats at Uttara, a flyover from the capital's Zero Point to Mawa road, two satellite towns at Kamrangirchar and Dhamrai, a residential complex at Mirpur, a housing project for the stranded Pakistanis and a water supply project.

The Kamrangirchar satellite town will provide housing for low income people, said Abdul Mannan Khan, state minister for housing and public works.

The government will complete the flats at Uttara and the flyover in the remaining two years of its tenure, he added.

The flats at 16-storey buildings will be of 850, 1250 and 1500 square feet in size and are meant for the middle and lower middle income people, Mannan said.

However, Housing Secretary Khondaker Showkat Hossain told The Daily Star the investment deal will be made only if the investor's expectation of profit is reasonable in Bangladeshi context.

Of the seven projects, six are expected to be implemented under the housing ministry and one under the local government ministry.

A joint technical committee and a working group will ascertain the mode, viability and terms and conditions for the investment, said Mannan Khan.

The housing project at Uttara will cost around Tk 9,000 crore, Dhamrai satellite town project Tk 6,000 crore, Mirpur residential complex Tk 5,300 crore, Dhaka Wasa's water supply project Tk 450 crore and the flyover Tk 2,500 crore.

Dato Seri Samy Vellu, a special envoy of the Malaysian government, Jamal Uddin Sabeh, Malaysian high commissioner to Dhaka, Jahangir Kabir Nanak, state minister for local government and Aslamul Hoque MP were present among other top government officials of the two countries.

Based on news, simple calculation - taka 27,450 crore will be spent on 20,000 flats. Some of these money will be spent on flyover, roads and other utility development. But one can not price the cost of road and utility seperately to flat buyers. So cost of one flat (given all flat sizes are equal) would be 27,450/20,000 = 1.3725 crore. That is just price based on investment cost qouted. When investor add up their profit margin, price will be much higher.

Now question is how many people can afford apartment costing 1.3725 crore (+ developer profit)?

Back
Top Bottom