What's new

Malala at the UN: We are proud of our sister.

She did her nation proud. Also, she may not know it, but she has also done our entire region a service in it's fight against extremism. This war is a war of ideology, not conventional warfare. And people like Malala do a lot of damage to the extremists cause. God bless her.

You mean TTP terrorists have some ideology :woot:

The mirror
Asna Ali
Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Some people are important because of their actions, some are important because of the strength and power of their words and some are important because of the varied reactions their actions and words generate. Malala Yousufzai falls into all three categories.

Since last year, she has been on a rollercoaster ride that started with her getting shot by the Taliban because of her continued defiance of their ideology. The Taliban’s plan to silence her has backfired in a big way since not only did Malala survive the attack, she has also flourished since that fateful day.

But even then when she was recuperating from near-fatal injuries and undergoing intensive medical treatment to survive her wounds, Malala continued to generate mixed reactions from her countrymen. Some were outraged that she was attacked and jubilant that she survived. There was a second, smaller group that was ambivalent to the event, considering it to be of little importance in the grand scheme of things.

The most vocal was a third group that believed Malala and her family to be part of an overarching conspiracy to make Pakistan look bad and to propagate western agendas. Messages to this effect popped up everywhere on social media and became the background commentary to events that followed. Malala and her family’s move to the United Kingdom, the reports regarding her recovery and reintegration into normal life and finally the announcement that she is being considered for a Nobel prize.

Her speech last week has been described in many different ways. Powerful, passionate, moving and memorable were just some of the adjectives used by her international audience. In her home country, the descriptors were less positive. She has supporters here but there are also many, not necessarily the Taliban, who would sooner see her silenced.

So why is it, that while she is so loved internationally, her own people are reluctant to own her and to celebrate her successes? It is probably so because she does not fit the mould of what we consider to be an acceptable representative of our country. She is not a middle-aged gentleman, or an athlete, a politician or a celebrity. She is the wrong age, the wrong gender and from the wrong background. She is known to the world because she dared point out what is wrong with our society. She failed to become a martyr and now by her very presence tells the story of what can and does happen to many women in Pakistan.

We would prefer to ignore these facts. Or to lament over the wasted lives of sad, silent women who are brutalised or killed. Malala makes us uncomfortable because she continues to stand in defiance and speak out about what was done to her. She continues to shine a light on our flaws.

In a way she is like a mirror. She has revealed just how broken our moral compass is simply by being alive and well. Our mixed reactions to her show that we are still far off the road to recovery as far as extremism is concerned. The Taliban and other extremist outfits are not gaining power in this country because of their weapons or manpower. They are successful because of the extremist streak that many of us carry within ourselves.

It is this streak that is reflected back to the world when we silently or actively disapprove of Malala. International observers might find our ambivalence to her surprising. But those who live here and understand the deep rooted misogyny and extremism that runs through our society are not surprised at all.

The writer is a business studies graduate from southern Punjab.

Sir you are free to follow puppets of west I follow Quran and Sunnah not Taliban or any one else Quran and Sunnah and way of Sahabas is enough for Muslim not west funded symbols which they themselves throw away after using for sometime

:cuckoo:

What's the matter with you nobody is following her over quran or sunnah at all or putting her above sahaba people have supported her not because she she is more of a western symbol but more because of women's rights and is promoting education in pakistan.Why is everything a conspiracy with you people did you ever think it might be because there are actually many social problems in pakistan .
Even if she is promoted by the west so what difference does it make would it change pakistani women have a really low literacy rate ? would the west have been able to exploit this if these incidents didn't happen in pakistan in the first place ? does it change that she and all those other girls were shot by ttp for wanting education ? women banned from going to the market ? zilla huma usman getting shot dead ? or all those girls school that were blown up in swat ? I do agree she is being exploited by the west but it true that minority/womens rights in pakistan are pretty abysmal.

What's the matter with you nobody is following her over quran or sunnah at all or putting her above sahaba people have supported her not because she she is more of a western symbol but more because of women's rights and is promoting education in pakistan.Why is everything a conspiracy with you people did you ever think it might be because there are actually many social problems in pakistan .
Even if she is promoted by the west so what difference does it make would it change pakistani women have a really low literacy rate ? would the west have been able to exploit this if these incidents didn't happen in pakistan in the first place ? does it change that she and all those other girls were shot by ttp for wanting education ? women banned from going to the market ? zilla huma usman getting shot dead ? or all those girls school that were blown up in swat ? I do agree she is being exploited by the west but it true that minority/womens rights in pakistan are pretty abysmal.

1. she said that when she see beard man shee remember firaun?? do you have same thinking and do what do you feel when you see a bearded man??

i will not answer the second question about blowing schools.

who is safe in pakistan now days??? what about karachi ?? every day several man killed there??
through drons how many children are killed why there is no voice for them ?? because they were not killed by taliban and killed by mighty american forces or what???

You mean TTP terrorists have some ideology :woot:

these liberals when talking to indians totaly change like a girgat. (chameleon) and say good taliban and bad taliban exist.
but on malala t.t.p also has an ideology. wtf.....

You forgot about us hinjews. :pissed::cry:

I will mention you in the credit section later :D Dont worry !

1. she said that when she see beard man shee remember firaun?

Bring me a source about what she said part and we can talk .

You know why I ask ? Because suddenly , I am hearing a lot of what she said before she was shot on Facebook , SMS and where-not :D Go ahead , then .

@Secur :pissed: you ignored yindoos?...no story is complete without Local yahoodies..:woot:

When one sees an enemy everywhere , one usually misses some . :rofl: After all , paranoia is a normal state of mind .

Last edited by a moderator:
i saw headlines " Malala Fighting for Education in Pakistan " by leaving Pakistan and Living in UK with All "Family" Members. :lol:

I doubt she will ever put her leg on Pakistani soil now.

Now we need to ask women's right from Malala :lol: Bhai Islam has already defined women's rights ... Rasoolullah (SAWW) said “Seeking knowledge is an obligation upon every Muslim (Man & Woman).” If you see in after Prophet era you will see a great teacher Hazrat Ayesha (RA) ... Sahaba went to her home for seeking knowledge .....

Islamist are not responsible to such low literacy rate ... This is your feudals who don't like to people to get education whether man or woman ... On PDF perhaps all members would have known that how much I against of TTP ... But western people got maligned to Islam by this incident that Muslims are against women's education and our poor so-called liberal as acted as they wish ... I got remembered an Urdu saying for these liberals: کوا چلا ہنس کی چال اپنی بھی بھول گیا
My brother TTP is paid tout of Americans ... How wonder their touts shot a girl because they encourage that girl for 2 years ... Why TTP got so anger & shot her ... Mere bhai they do their work on someone's order ... Their masters ordered them to shot that girl ... So that they can easily propagate again Afghan Taliban ... TTP blown up schools then crush to them why our politicians are wishing to negotiate with them ... TTP people are not human they must be killed ............

i saw headlines " Malala Fighting for Education in Pakistan " by leaving Pakistan and Living in UK with All "Family" Members. :lol:

I doubt she will ever put her leg on Pakistani soil now.

No she will be in Pakistan as a political icon. Got it malaun.

Bring me a source about what she said part and we can talk .
@L@eeq

I believe I asked you for a source for your accusation on Malala Yousafzai saying that ' all bearded men seem to her like firaun ' . Does it exist ?

Now we need to ask women's right from Malala

Where is this ' religious angle ' coming from ? Did she say anything against Islam or is she merely promoting women education ? Which is it ? What is it about taking everything as an blasphemy against the religion when none exists ?

Maligning a certain extremist ideology doesn't amount to maligning Islam , unless of course one considers that ideology to be firmly in accordance with the Islamic principles .

I second that part in your post about TTP , kill them all and take no prisoners !

@L@eeq

I believe I asked you for a source for your accusation on Malala Yousafzai saying that ' all bearded men seem to her like firaun ' . Does it exist ?

Where is this ' religious angle ' coming from ? Did she say anything against Islam or is she merely promoting women education ? Which is it ? What is it about taking everything as an blasphemy against the religion when none exists ?

Maligning a certain extremist ideology doesn't amount to maligning Islam , unless of course one considers that ideology to be firmly in accordance with the Islamic principles .

I second that part in your post about TTP , kill them all and take no prisoners !

Actually perception has been created due to some barbarians that extremist Muslims don't want to educate girls ............

Back
Top Bottom