What's new

MAHABHARAT ! The greatest Epic of the Subcontinent on TV, 21st Century Style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WAR-rior

Reaction score
Country
India
Guyz,
I was enthralled to see the new Age Mahabharat Serial as compared to B.R Chopra's old one on 1980s.

Every epic has its teachings and thrill. Be it Arabian Nights, Greek Epic Illiad or Egyptian Myth.
Embrace the awesomeness of Epics of this world.

Lot of hardwork has gone into Character Development trying to do utmost justice as per the Epic Poem by Sain Vyaas.

Every character is scrutinised whether its the Dharmic side or NonDharmic side. Every character has a justified reason for whatever he was as per the epic. Every character is dented and incomplete which truely becomes a Global Epic. As they say, 'Jo isme hai wo poori duniya mein hai. Jo isme nahin wo kahin nahin'. Whole world intrapolated into an Epic story of the Oldest Civilization on Earth. The Greatest War of Epic World - MAHABHARAT.

Mahabharat Serial - Watch Mahabharat Video - STAR Plus
Title Song (Very Catchy Track)

Promo

Last edited:
yup my parents are watching it.....graphics are quite good for a serial...

So what do you suggest? :D
Simple suggestion. Enjoy the ancient style, language and an insight of history with a tinge of Supernatural powers. :D

As for non indians, do watch it for fun and entertainment just like another movie. You guyz shud know the epicness of history of the land of ur ancestors.

As it says, Mahabharat is not a DHARMA GRANTH, ie. Religious Book but a Historic Story whose proofs were found encrypted in stone.

Shri.Krishna.Dwarka.Mahabharat.underwater.Archaeology.jpg

Last edited:
I just hope the acting isn't over the top melodramatic which is plaguing every TV serial these days. From Saas Bahu serial days to current bitch-Kapur trash, overacting has become the "mantra".
Hope the new dish about Mahabharata has some sensible acting .

Simple suggestion. Enjoy the ancient style, language and an insight of history with a tinge of Supernatural powers. :D

As for non indians, do watch it for fun and entertainment just like another movie. You guyz shud know the epicness of history of the land of ur ancestors.

Yes Warrior - totally agree with you. I just hope Hindi Film INdustry had put some value to the epic and dished out a cinematic epic in the lines of what Hollywood does to Tolkien's works (Lord of the Rings, Hobbit etc).

Unfortunately, anything like this in Cinema (in 21st century India) won't be looked as politically correct.

I just hope the acting isn't over the top melodramatic which is plaguing every TV serial these days. From Saas Bahu serial days to current bitch-Kapur trash, overacting has become the "mantra".
Hope the new dish about Mahabharata has some sensible acting .

Yes Warrior - totally agree with you. I just hope Hindi Film INdustry had put some value to the epic and dished out a cinematic epic in the lines of what Hollywood does to Tolkien's works (Lord of the Rings, Hobbit etc).

Unfortunately, anything like this in Cinema (in 21st century India) won't be looked as politically correct.
You cant compare apples and oranges.
Tolkien's was a fictional story whereas Mahabharat is a Historical Drama. The events of Mahabharata, The cities mentiones, Archeological evidences prove Mahabharat War did happen. So playing with History is always too tricky.

I just want to know if it is based on a true story or fiction?
I have watched some of it and they seem to have supernatural powers.

Mahabharata/Ramayan has a lot of potential to become a world wide hits if taken as movies with todays technology.

The movies like Lord of Rings, pirates of carribean, thor and troy are no match for Indian epics.

No offence to the new seial, but nothing will come anywhere close to the original TV classic! What a series that was!

One thing I hate to see is such great characters being portrayed by Models, not Actors. Merely casting a guy with bulging muscles does not impart any depth to the characters. B R Chopra got it so so right with his casting!:cheers:

I just want to know if it is based on a true story or fiction?
I have watched some of it and they seem to have supernatural powers.

It is based on the greatest of all epics, the mahabharata. Whether it is all true or or not is irrelevant to enjoying the epic. Many hindus will believe it is a true story, non hindus won't - same as any religious text or religion based legends. However, that shouldn't stop you from enjoying the most powerfully poetic work of epic literature ever written by humankind.

One doesn't have to believe in the ancient greek gods to appreciate Homer's Illiad or Odyssey. The mahabharata is four times as big as those two epics put together - at 100,000 stanzas, it is simply the longest 'book' ever written, more than twice as long as the closest competitor.

This is the war song from the original DD serial:

This song describes the arrival to Kurukshetra of the armies of various parts of the Indian subcontinent, including present day pakistan and afghanistan. Jayadrata, the king of Sindhu, leads a division of troops from present day Karachi. He is one of the antagonist forces.

For those who cannot understand sanskrit, but can appreciate english poetry, RC Dutt has an excellent translation of some of the best parts of both the ramayana and mahabharata, in couplets:

The Ramayana and Mahabharata Index

@Joe Shearer : Any idea what sort of metre these are, in Dutt's translation? Reads very similar to the ones in Tennyson's 'Locksley Hall'.

No offence to the new seial, but nothing will come anywhere close to the original TV classic! What a series that was!
One thing I hate to see is such great characters being portrayed by Models, not Actors. Merely casting a guy with bulging muscles does not impart any depth to the characters. B R Chopra got it so so right ith his casting!:cheers:
You can't compare the two. TV was new to India with one or two channel.
It was first time India witnessed Mahabharat in acted for a long time.

Now, you have so many choices, if you doesn't like any part of it, all you have to do is switch to one among hundreds of channels.

You cant compare apples and oranges.
Tolkien's was a fictional story whereas Mahabharat is a Historical Drama. The events of Mahabharata, The cities mentiones, Archeological evidences prove Mahabharat War did happen. So playing with History is always too tricky.

Yes, Mahabharata story (apart from supernatuaral powers) resembles the day to day life of ours. The politics, the deceit, the fight among brothers, the greed, the sacrifice, the economy, the Rajadharma etc. everything is in it.

It is not as Black and White as Ramayana, it has shades of grey. There is hero, villain and antihero, heroine all in it

You can't compare the two. TV was new to India with one or two channel.
It was first time India witnessed Mahabharat in acted for a long time.

Now, you have so many choices, if you doesn't like any part of it, all you have to do is switch to one among hundreds of channels.

Not just choice, I can't find the qualities in these serials that the Original Mahabharat had. It endeared itself to millions because of the acting skills on display.

I still cannot think of anyone else but Puneet Issar as Dhuryodana, Mukesh Khanna as Bhishma-pitamaha, Gufi Paintal as Shakuni, Pankaj Dheer as Karna etc !!

Obviously fiction.

It's mythology, not mere fiction! (Myths are narratives sacred to the culture that narrates them)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom