What's new

M 107 Sniper Rifle

kidwaibhai

Reaction score
Hi guys i just wanted to discuss the use of this rifle in the pakistani army. i did see a few pictures of pakistani soldeirs training with rifle but to what extent are we using this rifle. is it only given the SSG snipers or is it deployed on the front line.

40ec09fe641e380acaf995bafcaf926e.gif

With the pictures i have seen. I believe we have special units for this type of role.

With the pictures i have seen. I believe we have special units for this type of role.

can anyone post some more details about the M-107. surprisingly it is not listed in Janes Guns Recognition Guide - 2005

Sir,

Search for Barett M-82 Light Fifty and you will find ample references for it. The USMC calls their Barett Light .50 the M-107 as it has some service-specific mods.

In Pakistan, this rifle has been in use with (first) Anti-Narcotics Forces and then selectively in Pakistan Army units.

It is one of the first AMR (Anti Material Rifles) to appear on the scene. The accuracy is good but other sniper rifles in use are even more accurate against personnel. This particular rifle can be used against personnel, but was primarily designed for interdiction of soft skinned vehicles and aircraft.

so this think will be used to take out BMP's of the indian army. Can this thing take on the MI-27 hind. in other words is this gun a hind killer.

Sir,

Search for Barett M-82 Light Fifty and you will find ample references for it. The USMC calls their Barett Light .50 the M-107 as it has some service-specific mods.

In Pakistan, this rifle has been in use with (first) Anti-Narcotics Forces and then selectively in Pakistan Army units.

It is one of the first AMR (Anti Material Rifles) to appear on the scene. The accuracy is good but other sniper rifles in use are even more accurate against personnel. This particular rifle can be used against personnel, but was primarily design for interdiction against soft skinned vehicles and aircraft.

Thanks Blain2,

Jane's says

Barett "Light-Fifty" M82A1

One of the first heavy sniping rifles to achieve success.adopted by several military and police forces as a anti-material sniping weapon and also for detonating explosive devices at a safe distance.

Specification and Operation:
Cartridge: 12.7 x 99mm (0.50 Browning)
Magazine: 11 rounds
Rate of Fire: Semi-automatic only
In production since 1983.

The Barett Model 95M, developed from the earlier model 90 is the bolt-action version of the earlier widely used model M82 and was at one time selected for service with the US Army.However a change of policy resulted in the selection of the semi-automatic Barett Model M82A1 in its place.

Hi,

If this rifle can fire a depleted uranium round, it could be deadly AGAINST THE THICKER SKINNED targets. I believe the depleted uranium round could do damage to the hind.

Fatman, you should visit this web-site Sniper Central - Mel's Sniper Page
It is run by a very very professional and knowledgeable guy.

From Sniper central
Main Equipment Snipers Sniping Info Forums Shop SC SC Series Rifles About Us Members Software

Barrett M-82A1 (XM107)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Caliber: .50 BMG
Magazine: 10-shot detachable box magazine
Barrel: 29"
Weight: 32.5 lbs
Length: 57" overall
Stock: Composite with Sorbothane recoil pad.
Sights: Scope with ironsights.
Max Effective Range 1830 meters
Features: Semi-automatic
Recoil operated
Recoiling barrel to reduce felt recoil
Highly effective Muzzle Brake
Three-lug locking bolt
Self leveling bi-pod
Barrett claims 1 MOA with match ammunition

Believe it or not, the M82A1 is not that bad to shoot. The spotter actually suffers more than the shooter (Due to the muzzle brake sending the concussion out and back, usually right into the spotters face). While the potential for extreme long range shooting is there, the current military ammo is not up to the task. There is no military match ammo, and that really kills the accuracy potential of this rifle. Even with match ammo, the rifle will have a hard time holding its claimed 1 MOA, there is just too many moving parts. But, for its designed purpose as a long range hard target interdiction rifle, the M82A1 is hard to beat! Its semi-auto, 10 round capability against a light skinned APC is outstanding.
I do not consider .50 BMG rifles true sniper rifles, they are much too large and heavy to be carried easily and effectively while a sniper team operates. I do feel they have an important role and should be in the inventory, but don't fool yourself into thinking they are an everyday sniper rifle. Use them when the mission dictates, which might include overwatch positions (where little movement is involved), defensive positions, small hunter teams searching hard targets (where more then just the sniper team goes out), etc. Because I do not consider the .50's a true sniper rifle, I have not really included any on my page, but the M82A1 is used by just about everyone, and its what I've been trained on, so I have included it on my page.

UPDATE The US Army has officially adopted the M82A1 as their special purpose long range sniper rifle. Believe it or not, a bolt action won the trials but for reasons not entirely clear, the US Army decided to adopt the M82A1M (The M has a few modifications over the USMC M82A3). The official designation for the rifle is XM107 Long Range Sniper Rifle. The max effective ranges are listed as 1500 meters at materiel targets, and 1000 meters at personnel.

so this think will be used to take out BMP's of the indian army. Can this thing take on the MI-27 hind. in other words is this gun a hind killer.

It would cause some damage to the MI-24/35s (Hinds) but these Russians gunships are pretty heavily armoured underbelly. But who knows. The main problem for these rifles is the excessive weight. Too much to carry for a sniper over long distances etc. This is one of the major problems for .50 Cal rifles. They are good for use in CT situations and from static positions, but if you have to move around a lot and carry these and their .50 Cal ammo then you are going to get tired pretty quick.

As a quick comparison, Pakistan Army's primary Sniper rifle (Steyr SSG 69) has a MoA of .25 - .5 compared with a "claimed" MoA of 1 for the M-82. So you can clearly see the accuracy levels of the two rifles designed for different tasks (SSG 69 being a true sniper rifle, and M-82 being a AMR).

For those unaware of the MoA (Minute of Arc) concept, here is little blurb and you can see that PA picked an awesome sub-MOA piece of hardware in the SSG69 (may be getting close to being replaced now in the PA service):

Contrary to popular belief, sniper rifles are not necessarily characterised by exceptional accuracy, especially when compared to civilian sporting rifles, though they nearly always match or exceed the capabilities of other rifles in the military and police categories. A military-issue battle rifle or assault rifle is usually capable of between 3 and 6 minute of arc (MOA) accuracy.[/U] A standard-issue military sniper rifle is typically capable of 0.5 to 2 MOA accuracy, with a police sniper rifle capable of 0.25 to 1.5 MOA accuracy. For comparison, a competition target rifle may be capable of accuracy levels up to 0.1 MOA.
Wiki Ref: E.g.: a "1 MOA rifle" should be capable, under ideal conditions, of shooting a 1-inch group at 100 yards, a "2 MOA rifle" a 2-inch group at 100 yards, etc.)

it seems to be a very nice Rifle which one is much better then M107 and was used by which country what are the basic diffrence can any one shares ?

Ahussain,

It will be easier f you checked out some web sites about sniper rifles----one of them was mentioned in my previous post.

cheytac sniper rifle is a complete sniper system which has its own computer system which even measure earth rotation. Its bullet size is smaller than 50 cal but still bigger than other sniper bullets. Which is better m107 or cheytac in terms of long operations, reliability in the battle field? Does Pakistan army have cheytac?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom