What's new

Lt. Gen. Haroon Aslam Resigns.

Gen. Haroon did not attend ganjas dinner gathering.

Gen. Haroon did not attend ganjas dinner gathering.

Why is he so upset? PM has the right to choose whichever person. He can retire if he is selfish, and it shows.

Why should designations matter? It should be about the country.

In no country in the world top Army commanders chosen on seniority alone. Merit on the other hand is always subjective. I can give hundreds of examples where the choice of the chief was based solely on the personal preferences.

Two glaring examples are selection of Lt Gen Montgomery to lead the British 8th Army in Africa by Winston Churchill. Montgomery was promoted to acting Lt General in July 1941, but by August 1942 he was commander of British Army facing Rommel.

And choice of Eisenhower over hundreds of senior commanders during the WW2 because George Marshall liked him. For the record Eisenhower was only promoted to Brigadier on Oct 3, 1941 and on June 23, 1942 he was a 4-star General commanding all the US forces in Europe. By Nov 1942 he was Supreme Commander of the Allied Forces in North Africa.

Above are facts, and in my humble opinion whining of some members over by passing Lt Gen Haroon is unfair. COAS is always chosen at the discretion of the Prime Minister. As a nation we should accept the decision with good grace and the support new COAS to the full.

The decision has been made and finalized ... good luck with resign sir ..

Even while making such decision these things are being thought ... when army gave the list of 5 top people for the position it was clear in terms with all possibilities about the selection. At the top level meetings it was raised and thoroughly analyzed by Army ... This resignation is in line with the analysis been made that day ...

It was not alone NS decision altogether , There are more than 10s of consultation with Army chief and top level army personals , General Haroon need to get retire next year anyway so that was one -ive factor for him , you never know whats coming next with TTP and in the middle of something final next year (Hope you get what i am saying here) Pakistan cannot go back into the selection process again. we need someone to stay longer and making final shots to TTP if negotiations are not resumed or in case of NATO leaving afghanistan and afterwards ...

Why is he so upset? PM has the right to choose whichever person. He can retire if he is selfish, and it shows.

Why should designations matter? It should be about the country.
its not abut selfish its abut right he was most senior so it was his right . do you ever worked in gov office ? what if your junior become your boss ? this BS law must be changed now and seniors automatically took over PM can polish their boot can't select them .

I have been told that he is also a relative of Azeez bhatti shaheed. His first-cousin is my mom's old friend and they live just 2 houses away from my home. They all grew up together so I was talking to her today... Her father is also serving in GHQ and her entire family is based in Lahore & Rawalpindi and working in GHQ. The relatives of Raheel Sharif are all serving in the Army from Major to Higher ranks. So he holds a very strong military background a part from two Nishan-e-Haiders belonging to the same family.
But we are still going to bitch & moan, bcoz its our fav past time ... :coffee::suicide:

Lt Gen Haroon Aslam resigns after he fails to become Pakistan Army chief.

Lt Gen Haroon Aslam of the Pakistan Army today resigned a day after he was superseded by his two juniors who were made the new Army chief and the Chairman Joint Chief of Staff Committee.

Aslam has sent his resignation letter to Defence Ministry from the GHQ, Geo News reported.

Lt Gen Aslam had also skipped the farewell dinner hosted by Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif last night for the outgoing Army chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani.

He was the senior most General after Kayani. However, Sharif yesterday appointed Lt Gen Raheel Sharif as the 15th Chief of the Army Staff and Lt Gen Rashad Mahmood as the new CJCSC.

Since, Aslam was superseded, many were expecting his resignation.

Sharif had earlier said he would go by seniority to elect the new Army Chief but he chose the third most senior ranking General.

Some analysts say that appointing Gen Mahmood as the CJCSC, a largely ceremonial post, is an attempt by the Prime Minister to sideline Gen Kayani's preferred candidate and reassert his authority over the military.

It is believed that Lt Gen Aslam did not enjoy Kayani's support.

The News reported that one of the reason for his non-selection was his "key role" as Director of Military Operations on October 12, 1999 alongwith the-then DGMO Major General Shahid Aziz to oust Sharif from power.

Then, Brigadier Aslam led the team to arrest all the cabinet members, including Sharif.

Another possible reason cited by the daily was that he was a Special Services Group commando and Sharif does not like commandos, particularly after his experience with Gen Pervez Musharraf.

It reported that Aslam had yesterday phoned both his junior colleagues congratulating and greeting them on their promotions.

Lt Gen Aslam has served as Director General of Military Operations, commanded the Elite Force Division of the Special Services Group and headed the Bahawalpur-based XXXI Corps.

He also led the successful anti-Taliban operation in Swat Valley in 2009 and was due to retire on April 9 next year.

Source: Lt Gen Haroon Aslam resigns after he fails to become Pakistan Army chief.

Lt Gen Haroon Aslam resigns after he fails to become Pakistan Army chief - The Economic Times

People that are supporting the seniority based decision, please consider this
what would you do if you had the choice
1) A senior officer who was actively involved in ousting the democratically elected government and personally involved in arresting parliament members.
2) Another officer who has a rich history of serving in the military with many awards as well as his brother who is a recipient of nishan-e-haider and his uncle is also a recipient of nishan-e-haider.

People that are supporting the seniority based decision, please consider this
what would you do if you had the choice
1) A senior officer who was actively involved in ousting the democratically elected government and personally involved in arresting parliament members.
2) Another officer who has a rich history of serving in the military with many awards as well as his brother who is a recipient of nishan-e-haider and his uncle is also a recipient of nishan-e-haider.
let me put it that way....

1. An army chief who is combat tested proven soldier, Who is aware of the ground realities of battlefield in fata as he himself was on ground.

OR

2. A Gen Znani to Replace Gen Kiyani

News coming in that Lt. Gen. Haroon Aslam resigns. :( so sad & a big loss to Pak Army.

Lanat on ganja BC.

@tarrar, this is normal procedure in Pakistan Armed Forces.

If general is bypassed and a Junior is promoted to be Chief of Army Staff, the seniors have a choice to work under the Junior or RESIGN. As it is General Haroon would have retired in few months anyway.

Normal Procedure - No surprises here.

Gen Haroon was being bitter for no reason, there is no history of making a COAS from non fighting arms.
one has to be from armor, infantry or artillery.
being in SSG doesnt cut it, anyone from Engineers, Ordinance, signals or even AMC can join SSG

Gen Haroon had his hopes high for wrong reasons and I am relieved that he didnt make it because in one of his speeches he expressed his desire to become a "shaheed" an expression that I strongly despise.. army is trained and equipped to Kill ... NOT die...
I know I am going to choke some born again evangelists but just think over it, why waste public money and time and then see our top soldier itching to die at the hands of the enemies?

let me put it that way....

1. An army chief who is combat tested proven soldier, Who is aware of the ground realities of battlefield in fata as he himself was on ground.

OR

2. A Gen Znani to Replace Gen Kiyani
babu saab
Gen Haroon didnt belong to the fighting corps. your idea of "combat tested ground realities" is very cute. COAS has a very strategic and macro level experience and is not restricted to a low intensity COIN ops. Gen Raheel is an infantry man . please avoid emotes and rhetoric on something you have no clue about.

Gen Haroon was being bitter for no reason, there is no history of making a COAS from non fighting arms.
one has to be from armor, infantry or artillery.
being in SSG doesnt cut it, anyone from Engineers, Ordinance, signals or even AMC can join SSG

Gen Haroon had his hopes high for wrong reasons and I am relieved that he didnt make it because in one of his speeches he expressed his desire to become a "shaheed" an expression that I strongly despise.. army is trained and equipped to Kill ... NOT die...
I know I am going to choke some born again evangelists but just think over it, why waste public money and time and then see our top soldier itching to die at the hands of the enemies?

babu saab
Gen Haroon didnt belong to the fighting corps. your idea of "combat tested ground realities" is very cute. COAS has a very strategic and macro level experience and is not restricted to a low intensity COIN ops. Gen Raheel is an infantry man . please avoid emotes and rhetoric on something you have no clue about.

What else is the Azad Kashmir Regiment then ? :what:

4 Kings & the Wild Card | The Express Tribune Labs

Click on Lt.Gen Haroon Aslam & right below his name it reads 'Infantry, Azad Kashmir Regiment'
oh please , I wont accept Express tribune, :) I was quoting his course mate.. I will confirm back but what I said was a general consensus in one particular gathering in Pindi. they said it was a wishful thinking but when I get time I will report back they might have been talking about someone else lol.

I respect his decision to resign but he played too much bitter by not attending the ceremony and dinner invitation from PM.

Back
Top Bottom