What's new

Lockheed's New Laser Super Turret Could Change Air Combat Forever

Chinese cyber spy cell must have gone on hyperactive. .don't be surprised if they come up with a copy.

Um..Mr jihadi..

the point here is that the sniper on top of the mosque would not endanger the mosque itself by his actions.
With new technology, the sniper would be killed without hurting those inside the mosque.

Comprehension - you get full marks :lol:

Additionally - your post is reported for using abusive language.
Run and file your reports or whatever...
Why would there be a sniper on a mosque ?
Why name Hammas in the article ?
These things don't really offend me but my point is that such cavalier use of nouns serves no purpose other than to further cement existing stereotypes.
And thank you for honoring me by calling me after one of the greatest deeds in our religion.

These things don't really offend me but my point is that such cavalier use of nouns serves no purpose other than to further cement existing stereotypes.
And thank you for honoring me by calling me after one of the greatest deeds in our religion.

Calm down and think more clearly, the answer isn't hard to come by. No, the article doesn't perpetuate stereotypes, especially as the examples are based in reality considering Hamas and Israel's tensions and the applicability of laser weapons to missile defense and that collateral damage is a concern for the US military and there were incidence in Iraq of militants using mosques to attack US soldiers knowing the US won't attack them back... it's the same thinking the sees militants hide in hospitals. Laser weapons would reduce collateral damage while ensuring the US military personal are able to deal with threats. These examples are very relevant and have occurred recently.

Rather then inflaming tensions or perpetuating stereotypes, these examples resonate with the viewers of Foxtrotalpha (the source of the article) who are predominantly American citizens. Relax, take a deep breath and don't get worked up, especially as everyone else was able to overlook those paragraphs. If you have a problem, ask @Horus or one of the other mods like @waz or @Jungibaaz if they are offensive and need to be removed. I think they are good examples, I left them the way they were written in the article and will continue to do so unless told otherwise by a member of the PDF staff.

Last edited:
k1vxlvfocofx2uigd53x-jpg.182640

:D

Sven got all points covered in his post.

Carry on like this in other countries and others will also start honouring you by "calling you after one of the greatest deeds of your religion" :tup:

Laser weapons certainly look like a game changer. Will they make the world a safer and better place ? Certainly not. It has only given other nations incentive to develop similar weapons to stay safe.

Put solar panels on plane to generate electricity for laser.

they dont teach you in first grade physics that the mirror should have the ability to handle power concentrated on t it without melting. glad that you are trying to get to first grade physics though.

the reflection from a mirror is only part of the light. the other part is absorbed as energy and is converted to heat.

also, good luck making planes made of mirrors.

for defense will mirror work is last resort ?

Mirror works best. Also white paint works. Also, spray some water vapor condense into cloud would scatter incoming laser beam.

An F-22 sized fighter jet can only carry enough battery to shoot at most a few shots of laser, not enough to burn an enemy plane.

Mirror reflects light. 1st grade physics.
Guess first grade physics is the extent of your education. It is clear that your understanding of lasers came from B-grade science fiction movies. In the movies, the reason they make visible energy based weapons is purely for audience guidance, not because all energy weapons are -- and must be -- in the visible spectrum.

Mirrors reflects certain range of frequencies, not all.

Laser wavelength charts - Lexel Laser

Can a laser be any spectrum of light? - The Naked Scientists
The very first laser that was produced worked in the near infrared. It was really, really bright, so you could probably see it, but only just about. Gradually, as time went on, more and more lasers were developed with a wider range of available colours – a wider range of available wavelengths. And these days, the range is spectacular. Just last year, a group of scientists in America demonstrated a really high power laser that’s actually working in the x-ray region.
A laser weapon that is outside of the visible spectrum and immune to mirror defense is not science fiction but science fact. We do not need a visible color line from our laser gun to the target for entertainment. When the enemy's missiles and jet fighters starts burning up, that will be entertainment for US.

I hope the PLA is infested with doofus like you.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!! We have stuff in the pipe that the Chinese and Russians can't even comprehend. HAHAHAHAHAHA !!!:usflag:
To be fair, they can comprehend. But just because they can understand on the theoretical level, that does not mean they can engineer the theory into a working device. :D

So if this thing shoots down AAMs- then could we say in the future the age of BVR is over?As missiles will be shot down by lasers?Then its back to dogfighting with guns?
No. Because the laser beam travels in a straight line, it means the fighter will need to directly face his opponent. A guided missile can be launched from a lower altitude -- radar clutter cover -- for example. The missile will still have a valued place in the larger scheme.

An F-22 sized fighter jet can only carry enough battery to shoot at most a few shots of laser, not enough to burn an enemy plane.

Geez, I posted on this a while back already on this thread. Jet engines generate megawatts of power. The laser in the test is in the 100kW class - e.g. <1/40th the power of a single F404 generates without afterburner. No battery required. The US has been doing tests for YEARS already with a 747 (lots of space, 4 powerful engines). It was one of the alternatives for a laser-based ICBM defense system. The system under discussion in this thread would be much smaller and lower power than those required for 100 mile intercepts of ICBMs.

If you're not going to read responses, why should any of us bother reading your posts.

It does away with dogfighting too - there are no problems with any angle of shot, since it's on a turret and it effectively instantaneous (no dodging possible). No maneuver matters, no position matters, the laser will kill you no matter what you do. Whoever shoots first wins. Agility is wasted engineering time and money.
A turret is a workable solution for off angle engagements, but it involves more complicated mechanical contraptions. Replace the current cannon with a laser version is a quicker deployment solution for fighters. Install the turret with more powerful lasers on the B-1, B-52, or even the still amazingly versatile C-130 for missions that involves long duration and loitering capabilities.

Mirror works best. Also white paint works. Also, spray some water vapor condense into cloud would scatter incoming laser beam.

Thanks for the reply. But Ground based have higher battery capacity. and having a defensive system with Speed of light weapon. can take any enemy out at any range. or the beam dims as it goes further ?

they dont teach you in first grade physics that the mirror should have the ability to handle power concentrated on t it without melting. glad that you are trying to get to first grade physics though.

the reflection from a mirror is only part of the light. the other part is absorbed as energy and is converted to heat.

also, good luck making planes made of mirrors.
Back when I was active duty, Raygun proposed SDI using lasers as the method of defense. The Soviets countered by saying spinning the descending warhead would dissipate energy deposited by the attacking laser. The Americans responded by saying increased power enough and spinning the warhead would be useless based upon the amount of available surface area, spin rate, and level of energy deposited by the attacking laser. Given the general knowledge of warhead dimensions, the Soviets lost that argument.

SDI was truly an ambitious program but the Soviets knew that if the Americans said they could increase the laser's power enough to achieve surface burn through of the target, we could make that happen. Once warhead surface integrity is breached, and the laser's power can be enough to make that happen in milliseconds, aerodynamics will take over and the descending warhead would tumble out of control.

http://media.hoover.org/sites/default/files/documents/0817948429_45.pdf
7) Why it is necessary for the USSR to keep the 1972 ABM Treaty in effect for no less than 10 years?

Ever since it entered into force in 1972, the ABM Treaty has been considered by us to be the foundation of the system of international agreements on arms limitation and reduction. Only mutual restraint in the area of BMD makes it possible to make progress in restraining the race in strategic offensive arms. The treaty is of unlimited duration (art. XV). In that regard, our position remains unchanged: to maintain the ABM Treaty regime. This is necessary for us as we seek to delay the creation by the US of a multi-echeloned missile defense system, to gain time to conduct analogous work in our own country, and to develop counter-measures against the US BMD.
The Soviets had no ideas on the extent of US technical progress on SDI and Raygun continued to trumpet consistent program progress, as vague as the steps were claimed to be. The Soviets not only felt but also knew they were scientifically and technically far behind the US in many fronts. If the American scientists said they could create a laser powerful enough to penetrate the atmosphere with no significant loss to potential energy deposit on the descending warhead, and the math are in the public domain, the Americans could make SDI workable. They had to force the Americans to abide by the ABM Treaty.

Back
Top Bottom