What's new

LOC Skirmishes: Updates & Discussions

Anybody seen the program on an Indian channel in which a Pak Army retired general walked out?

The host was really crazy IMO. He was talking as if he was present there and then and knew the whole story! Typifies the Indian media at this moment, they are hyping up the issue to nuclear proportions, advocating cutting all ties with Pak to starting a war or doing special ops inside Azad Kashmir! Thank God that the heads in Indian army are saner.

BTW, I was listening to radio, and as per the radio channel, it all started last week when a 80 year old woman crossed LoC unopposed form the Indian side into Pak to meet her children and migrate, the Indian army got furious at this and started erecting posts. Pak objected, the IA started some firing, things heated up. A Brig (??) of 19 Infantry division asked for permission to escalate (the Brig supposedly had a history of being aggressive) and now here we are.

Just something I heard today on radio (Indian BBC).

yes I have come across that news item too and I recall what my cousins told me as well when his unit was deployed in Bhimber sector near Mirpur Azad Kashmir when some Indian colonel ordered an attack on our company head quarters and wanted to abduct some soldiers/ officers. it was done during the ceasefire and when our leaderships were making visits.
so that was a surprise attack but was thwarted I am talking about 15 years ago.

every action has a reaction and there are hot bloods on both side and sometimes they act on their own initiative or sometimes they get a silent nod from the top brass. its been Indian ingression lately and they think they are in a better position to do so due to Pakistan army's engagement in WoT has it on a back foot.

Indians will keep up the hype and if they cant get a chance on any of our post or patrol then they will pick off some villagers on either side of the border and execute them claiming them to be Pakistani backed militants.
unlike Pakistani media, they have unqualified support from Indian print and electronic media outlets.
whereas our media is still cursing our army for its Lal masjid pest control operation.

News Report, Pakistani soldier killed in firing across LoC today

Pakistani Soldier Killed by Indian Gunfire - ABC News

What do members here make of this escalation and continuation by Indian army? Also what do you think the response should be and will be?

I think that this issue could get a bit escalated, and some more activity might be seen. It is already pretty hot in the India media and looking at their TV, it seems as if a war has already started!

But I believe that in the end, both the militaries will sit down and talk it down.

News Report, Pakistani soldier killed in firing across LoC today

What do members here make of this escalation and continuation by Indian army? Also what do you think the response should be and will be?

I make out of it that India has decided not to sit silently and believe on aggression rather than the proposed peace-talks. The reaction is going to be no different, Tensions will escalate.

Indians will keep up the hype and if they cant get a chance on any of our post or patrol then they will pick off some villagers on either side of the border and execute them claiming them to be Pakistani backed militants.
unlike Pakistani media, they have unqualified support from Indian print and electronic media outlets.
whereas our media is still cursing our army for its Lal masjid pest control operation.

I also think the same. And if somebody from the other side does try to raid a whole post on Pakistani side, things will get much worse.

As for the media issue, what the heck is our media doing? There is a huge propaganda going on in Indian TV regarding this issue, and our media remains mum.

Somebody needs to write a letter in the newspaper or something like that.

I think that this issue could get a bit escalated, and some more activity might be seen. It is already pretty hot in the India media and looking at their TV, it seems as if a war has already started!

But I believe that in the end, both the militaries will sit down and talk it down.

Don't worry about Indian media let them hype all they want what they say should not be any determinant in what Pakistan decides to do next. Though, I agree with you we will now see an escalation since this has been the third attack in five days. I think the less we say about Pakistan's coming retaliation the better.

I also think the same. And if somebody from the other side does try to raid a whole post on Pakistani side, things will get much worse.

As for the media issue, what the heck is our media doing? There is a huge propaganda going on in Indian TV regarding this issue, and our media remains mum.

Writing letters to media take too much time, best to call and inquire if you wish. At least ISPR is doing its job...

Don't worry about Indian media let them hype all they want what they say should not be any determinant in what Pakistan decides to do next. Though, I agree with you we will now see an escalation since this has been the third attack in five days. I think the less we say about Pakistan's coming retaliation the better.

Indian media might be irrelevant to us, but it remains a big factor within India. It can serve as a instigator and hype up the issue infront of the public, and public pressure can sometimes force governments to take drastic steps.

Calling Asma Jhangir or talking about Tahir Ul Qadri. What else can it do?

Indian media might be irrelevant to us, but it remains a big factor within India. It can serve as a instigator and hype up the issue infront of the public, and public pressure can sometimes force governments to take drastic steps.

In spite of any public pressure generated by Indian media, I don't think Indian Government will appease public pressure. The Government there knows that 90% of its people are "idiots" and many of them without sense. Singh nor his Congress Party cabinet and members don't want a war nor will initiate one. So any instigation by Indian media will be in the language of thermodynamics an endergonic reaction not exergonic reaction.

For all we know Pakistan has already planned for what's going to happen next.

In spite of any public pressure generated by Indian media, I don't think Indian Government will appease public pressure. The Government there knows that 90% of its people are "idiots" and many of them without sense. Singh nor his Congress Party cabinet and members don't want a war nor will initiate one. So any instigation by Indian media will be in the language of thermodynamics an endergonic reaction not exergonic reaction.
Dude, watch Indian news, I am tuned to NDTV since morning, Indian media gave more coverage to Cricket series, Oscar nominations, Rape cases, Delhi police weird release, Political outburst over internal issues.

No one in India wants war. They just want breaking ties. That's it.

I can say this for 90% people of India.

It isn't the government I am worried about, it is the army. Armies all over the world, and especially in an Indo-Pak scenario, tend to avenge for their fallen. Indian army's aggressive stance has become known now if media reports are true.

It isn't the government I am worried about, it is the army. Armies all over the world, and especially in an Indo-Pak scenario, tend to avenge for their fallen. Indian army's aggressive stance has become known now if media reports are true.

We will see an escalation for sure, until the Indian army on LoC decides to adhere to the ceasefire which they first violated January 7, 2012 when breaching the LoC attacking a PA outpost and killing and wounded one PA soldier.

Writing letters to media take too much time, best to call and inquire if you wish. At least ISPR is doing its job...

they are busy reporting bollywood love affairs and upcoming films some times as main news item.

Human mind is ingenious beyond limits. Why should India raise tensions on the Line of Control by attacking a Pakistani post and kill a soldier when after a long hiatus the cricket teams of the two countries were on the ground in New Delhi for the first time? Or, why is India beating the war drums when Pakistan is well into preparations for a critical general election? Quite a few answers come to the mind.

But let's first hear what the two sides have to say about the Sunday incursion by the Indian troops into AJK and the Indian government's claim of an attack by the Pakistani troops. On Sunday, the Indian forces attacked a Pakistani post along the LoC, killing a soldier and injuring two others. The attack was entirely unprovoked earning New Delhi a protest note and raising concerns all over the world including Washington and Beijing. Two days later, the Indian government made the counter-claim of an attack by the Pakistani troops. According to it, two Indian soldiers were killed as its patrol was ambushed. If the counter-claim was seemingly a cover-up and the Indian army spokesman was a bit professional in his take on the purported incident the Indian media was not; it went viral alleging that 'the raiding squad beheaded one of the dead Indian soldiers and took away his head' - as if the Pak Army was a terrorist outfit. Strangely but not entirely unexpectedly, Indian foreign minister Salman Khurshid went on air to dare Pakistan "this is unacceptable, ghastly ...and extremely short-sighted on their part". But his comment was a day ahead of "careful consideration of the details", betraying absence of discretion expected of the country's top diplomat.

As to what is cooking up; there is no definite conclusion, though some deductions can be made. Foreign Minister Khurshid won't rest until the Indian government takes "steps that are meaningful and effective". In a situation like the one on the Line of Control after years of relative peace, the sudden spurt in tension is certainly an abnormal and out of routine development. As to how the Pakistan military interprets the situation, there is no direct answer. But the latest Corps Commanders meeting in Rawalpindi and Army Chief General Kayani's address at Sialkot garrison do offer some clue. At the Corps Commanders moot the army high command confirmed validity of its concept that Pakistan today is faced with conventional and sub-conventional threats - simply stated threats of internal insecurity and foreign aggression. As to some elaboration of this concept General Kayani's Sialkot speech is quite relevant; he had underscored the need "to fully remain prepared to respond to full spectrum of threat, be it direct (read foreign aggression) or indirect (read low-intensity conflict)" - like the one envisaged by Indian military's doctrine of "cold start". In Rawalpindi, there's no taker of the proposition made as a basis for reasoning without any assumption of its truth that India would bleed Pakistan military by its low-intensity conflicts, like the one that has happened on the Line of Control in Kashmir (and thus take nuclear clash out of context) instead of a full-throttled confrontation. If you want a war then have it, the general is believed to have conveyed to his counterpart across the border.

Maybe as some people think the Manmohan Singh government, confronted as it is by a hawkish BJP, gives too docile a look that doesn't fit the self-conceived "emerging India" prowess and power and is out to refurbish that public image. Or, New Delhi is still taking too much time to shun its bellicose posturing vis-à-vis Pakistan. Whatever be on its mind the India's rulers should not muddy Pakistani waters when it is going for a crucial election. So if both the United Sates and China have expressed their concerns over escalation of tensions along the Line of Control one is not greatly surprised - perhaps they know as to what is cooking up in the Indian capital. Admitted, cricket diplomacy is working and there is tangible progress in areas like trade and cultural contacts. But you cannot have good business and bad politics with Pakistan at the same time. New Delhi has to work with Islamabad in tandem at all four planes - military, political, business and cultural - to ensure longer-term sustainability and usefulness of bilateralism.

Another soldier killed by Indian forces: Pakistan Army
pakistan_soldier_coffin_kashmir_file_670.jpg
ISLAMABAD: The Pakistani military said Indian troops shot and killed a Pakistani soldier on Thursday, the third deadly cross-border incident reported in five days in the disputed Kashmir region.

“Pakistan Army soldier, Havildar Mohyuddin, embraced shahadat (martyrdom) due to unprovoked firing by Indian troops at Hotspring sector in Battal at 2:40 pm (0940 GMT) today,” the military said in a text message to reporters.

“Today, India troops resorted to unprovoked firing at a Pakistani post named Kundi,” it added.

India alleged that two of its soldiers were killed by Pakistani troops on Tuesday, including one who was beheaded. Pakistan denied the accusation.

On Sunday, the Pakistani army claimed Indian forces killed one of its soldiers and wounded another.

A ceasefire has been in place since 2003 along the Line of Control (LoC), the heavily militarised border in disputed Kashmir region, but both sides accuse each other of periodically violating the agreement.

http://dawn.com/2013/01/10/another-pakistani-soldier-killed-by-indian-forces-army/

Back
Top Bottom