What's new

Lenovo's smartphone, tablet sales rise over 100%

MohitV

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
BEIJING: Lenovo, the biggest personal computer maker, said its latest quarterly profit rose 36% as sales of smartphones and tablet computers more than doubled.

Lenovo earned $220 million, or $2.12 per share, in the three months ending September 30, the company announced. Revenue rose 13% from a year earlier to $9.8 billion.

The results reflect the dramatic shift underway as people switch to going online wirelessly and manufacturers that got the bulk of revenues from desktop PCs scramble to keep up.

Lenovo said its sales of smartphones, tablet computers and other mobile devices rose 106% over a year earlier to $1.5 billion. Mobile's share of revenue expanded to 15% from the previous quarter's 9%.

Sales of traditional desktop PCs fell 3% to $2.7 billion while laptop sales rose 8% to $5 billion.

"'We are optimistic about the industry's outlook," said chairman Yang Yuanqing in an earnings announcement.

"The PC market is recovering and tablet growth continues shifting to mainstream and entry-level segments, as well as emerging markets. These are Lenovo's strength areas," said Yang. "We are confident that we will capture these opportunities and continue our strong growth."

Lenovo, which is based in Beijing and in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, has said it expects mobile devices to become the bulk of its business in coming years.

In its home China market, Lenovo's revenue rose just 1 percent to $3.8 billion, reflecting a steady decline in economic growth. It said smartphone and tablet sales in China rose 45%.

Lenovo was declared the No. 1 personal computer maker in the previous quarter by research firms Gartner and IDC, finally surpassing rival Hewlett Packard. But that success was tempered by data that show sales of desktop computers steadily declining.

Lenovo's smartphone, tablet sales rise over 100% - The Times of India

... :coffee:
I like HuaWei smart phone, but my girlfriend using Iphone4S.
My laptop one is Acer another is HP, a old & retired is OEM made in DongGuan (even unknow the Brand)
My table PC also made in DongGuan i like its Duel-Core + 9.8' touch screen (LePai), my girlfriend using Ipad mini.
I also have a Sony PSP-2000.

I know Lenovo but few chance to use it, in China there'r too many Brand u can choose.

BTW ...
If buy table PC from China, i personally think TECLAST(台电) and Onda(昂达)'s table PC better than Lenovo and more cheaper.Their Quad-Core + 9.8' touch screen < ¥1000

If buy smart phone from China, i personally think MIUI(小米)'s MI2S is the best smartphone now.

Last edited:
Lenovo should fully use Thinkpad's R&D's potentials. I bet Lenovo has great future.

I am talking about revenues but also innovation . in terms of innovation i do not see lenovo matching up to Samsung , at least not in the smartphone section.

So according to you, Lenovo became the #1 PC maker in the world, not by innovation but by something else?

We started late, so it is going to take a while to build up big private companies like the Developed world has already done. But Lenovo is a start, and it is already #1.

Why no?

Lenovo is already the #1 PC maker on the planet.

Forbes - World's top PC maker Lenovo posts 36% profit hike

If you're talking about the fact that Samsung's revenues make up 20% of South Korea's entire GDP, I don't think any company in the world can beat that.

Lenovo sells because people don't associate Lenovo to China. Even now IBM comes to mind when people think of Lenovo.

Though I have to say Lenovo does good marketing in hiding 'China'.

Lenovo sells because people don't associate Lenovo to China. Even now IBM comes to mind when people think of Lenovo.

Though I have to say Lenovo does good marketing in hiding 'China'.

Give me a break, in every single article posted about Lenovo, they mention it is a Chinese company. :lol:

And did you know the two biggest companies in the world are Chinese banks?

The Guardian - Chinese banks top Forbes Global 2000 list of world's biggest companies

Did you know that Haier is the world's largest domestic appliances company?

Give me a break, in every single article posted about Lenovo, they mention it is a Chinese company. :lol:

And did you know the two biggest companies in the world are Chinese banks?

The Guardian - Chinese banks top Forbes Global 2000 list of world's biggest companies

Did you know that Haier is the world's largest domestic appliances company?

Now what does India have? Oh right, a growth rate of 3.2%. :rofl:

Not at all...Lenovo runs from North Carolina and not from Beijing.

Back
Top Bottom