What's new

Lady Gaga cancels Indonesia concert after threats from Islamic hardliners

Lady Gaga is nice. I like Rihanna better though.

Indonesia has the track record of being secular. I hope the values are upheld

How about respecting cultures of others?

You cannot dance and sing naked in every nation.

Just because western people are loosing morals - does not means that people of other nations will follow suit or tolerate representatives of western profanity.

It's not much of a taboo in ID (I lived there for some time). In metro (and TV channels too) it is acceptable to wear very short skirts (though with the bit of "indonesian innocence" mixed). Lady Gaga's dresses shouldn't be much of a problem.

Imagine if the hardliners in india start complaining the congress party might hang her to appease them

Indonesia has the track record of being secular. I hope the values are upheld

It's not much of a taboo in ID (I lived there for some time). In metro (and TV channels too) it is acceptable to wear very short skirts (though with the bit of "indonesian innocence" mixed). Lady Gaga's dresses shouldn't be much of a problem.
Your experience of Indonesia is limited, as apparent from this report.

Being secular does not guarantees that vulgarity will be accepted with open arms.

Imagine if the hardliners in india start complaining the congress party might hang her to appease them
:lol:

Sir, I am not saying that evil does not exists in Islamic nations. However, you cannot put all muslims in same boat.

So, please practice the same -- lady GAGA or any performer/show person, put on a SHOW, if and when the show is not appealing to the audience, they don't buy tickets - if effect, they are giving a vote and seeking a change - all with out threats of violence --- please be mindful, Islamists are a minority, when they begin threatening people, the first people who will get hurt when these majority responds, is the Islamists.

Most people are confused, they say that Quran begin with God the Merciful and Compassionate - but it seems "Muslims" seem to hear and understand only violence, don't you think this perception needs to be changed??

The phots show women holding posters saying "Go to Hell" -- Is that the Muslim way? Honestly, Is that the Muslim way? -- I think I know that you know, it's not - so don't support silly hateful stuff.

You and many others are offended by some performers, some lyrics - instead of reacting with hostility, just avoid them, don't buy their music, don't go to their shows

Your experience of Indonesia is limited, as apparent from this report.

Being secular does not guarantees that vulgarity will be accepted with open arms.

Actually, quite extensive.

You can always not buy tickets. Nobody is forcing you to go and see her.

So, please practice the same -- lady GAGA or any performer/show person, put on a SHOW, if and when the show is not appealing to the audience, they don't buy tickets - if effect, they are giving a vote and seeking a change - all with out threats of violence --- please be mindful, Islamists are a minority, when they begin threatening people, the first people who will get hurt when these majority responds, is the Islamists.

Most people are confused, they say that Quran begin with God the Merciful and Compassionate - but it seems "Muslims" seem to hear and understand only violence, don't you think this perception needs to be changed??

The phots show women holding posters saying "Go to Hell" -- Is that the Muslim way? Honestly, Is that the Muslim way? -- I think I know that you know, it's not - so don't support silly hateful stuff.

You and many others are offended by some performers, some lyrics - instead of reacting with hostility, just avoid them, don't buy their music, don't go to their shows
Sir,

I do not encourage voilence in any way or form. However, you cannot combat extremism by promoting vulgarity. I hope that you understand this point.

Actually, quite extensive.

You can always not buy tickets. Nobody is forcing you to go and see her.
Western people, in no way or form, are in the position to decide for others on how to handle the matters of vulgarity.

Western societies are sliding away from all forms of morality due to this kind of attitude.

Just ignore every wrong. Slowly but surely, it will reach your home and tempt you to embrace it.

Atleast indonesians are lucky the matter is over.
If it was in India the Congress and SP would turn it into an election issue saying lady gaga is "communal" and will be arrested/hanged.

Western people, in no way or form, are in the position to decide for others on how to handle the matters of vulgarity.

Western societies are sliding away from all forms of morality due to this kind of attitude.

Just ignore every wrong. Slowly but surely, it will reach your home and tempt you to embrace it.

The point here is: She is being threatened by extremists, quoting she is a devil. The one who has stopped her is not the government (which is secular, so I was correct the govt won't stop her) but threats from extremists.

Do you support unofficially threatening someone like this to stop "vulgarity"?

P.S. She could be a victim of terrorism if she had proceeded, which could have, God forbid, significantly damaged Indonesia's reputation.

Did anyone ask the most important question: Why the sold out shows?

Their choice.

I assume she dresses like that for the shock value anyway.

It is a part of her marketing strategy.

There are decency laws everywhere. Why is it ok for a woman to sun bathe topless in public park Sweden/Denmark and not in USA. How the public is being served in USA by having these laws ?

These laws or order issued are arbitrary in nature based on individual nation or culture. There are blue laws in USA. You can't buy beer in Florida Sunday before 12:00 pm. Whats the point of that ?

You can get prosecuted in places in India for possession of beef. How does that make sense ?

Apparently some folks are promising chaos, that certainly does not translate into violence.

Even Christians from S. Korea to Phillipines have protested apparently. Ofcourse, it didn't make as much news as "Islamists" protesting against Lady Gaga

Filipino Christians denounce Lady Gaga | ENTERTAINMENT News

Conservative Christian groups in the Philippines on Saturday marched near a shopping mall to demand the cancellation of Lady Gaga's two concerts next week, saying her songs carried "demonic" undertones.

The protests in the heavily Catholic Philippines followed a decision this week by authorities in Indonesia, a secular state but with the world's largest Muslim population, to refuse her a permit to perform in Jakarta next month.

In Manila, dozens of anti-riot police stopped hundreds of protesters from two groups from marching to the concert venue with placards reading "Stop Lady Gaga concert" and "Don't support Lady Gaga".

A much larger group prayed and sang hymns as the performer arrived in the evening in the city. Protesters planned to hold a prayer vigil on Sunday ahead of the performances.

Concert organisers said they were aware of no plans to cancel the concerts, with fans prepared to pay up to 15,000 pesos (NZD$461) for tickets - in a country where the average monthly wage is about 10,000 pesos.

"We're hoping that if they will continue the concert, they should tone it down," Benny Abante, a Christian pastor, told reporters.

"She should not sing songs that could offend our spiritual senses or wear bikinis in front of the crowd."

Other group members described her songs as "grossly blasphemous, immoral, lewd and carrying demonic and occultic undertones".

Protests in South Korea, which has Asia's second largest population of Christians after the Philippines, prompted authorities to bar under-18s from Lady Gaga's concert.

For those that have a little trouble with their identification, a quick reference chart.

This is a singer:total risk that young men may do things in their room they dont want their mothers walking in on.
lady-gaga-300.jpg

This is a terrorist:Killed 202people injured 260
2352639_medium.jpg

Which one does the work of the devil?

I saw her live performance in India when the F1 crap were taking place .
Did anyone noticed the mike she was holding ? :lol:
Man.......she was holding a plastic penis and sometimes while singing she kissed it .

All hail lady wah-wah

Back
Top Bottom