What's new

Lack of trainers makes IAF pilot shortage acute

LiberalAtheist

Reaction score
Confronting problems of obsolete fighter jets as highlighted by army chief Gen VK Singh, the Indian Air Force is now also facing shortage of pilots for want of training facilities.

While the government is finalising a multi-billion dollar deal for procuring 126 fighter aircraft, Parliament’s public accounts committee (PAC) has raised a pertinent question as who will fly these aircraft.

The PAC noted 15 per cent to 31 per cent shortfall in the number of pilots trained as against the IAF’s target of having 220 new pilots every year. In fact, while the IAF told the committee that it plans to increase the number of trainees from 260 to 350 every year by 2017, the defence ministry was silent on addressing the additional infrastructure needed to meet the increased induction.
Defence ministry representatives also told the committee that modern simulator technology was not readily available for adaptation.

“Indian Air Force has failed to procure/upgrade simulators for trainer aircraft for more than a decade thus depriving the trainees of safe and non-hazardous means of learning to fly aircraft,” concludes the PAC. The panel headed by BJP’s Murli Manohar Joshichided the IAF for not having any long-term training plan for pilots of fighter and other streams for developing a long-term strategic objective.

“The committee is seriously concerned that training establishments are imparting training mostly with outdated and ageing aircraft... Surprisingly, the ministry claimed that the long-term training plan was not formulated mainly due to shortage or non-availability of trainer aircraft and delay in procurement of advanced jet trainer,” says the report.It lambasted the IAF for failing to have a comprehensive long-term plan covering not only the projected needs of trained pilots, but also the infrastructure required for their training.

Lack of trainers makes IAF pilot shortage acute - India - DNA

I don't know the IAF's faults in this, but the ministry too has to take the blame. They are now frowning over a 1 billion dollar acquisition for the pilatus trainers. Earmarking 30 billion for 5th gen fighters is fine, but a billion to train the people to fly them has to be blocked. Idiots.

World class Training faculties are being set up trust me, Bidar AFS home of the IAF's training school is simply unmatched in all of Asia. And the deal for the basic trainers will be signed by June/July, I don't know why everyone was getting their panties in a twist over this deal, the winner was announced last year and now proper checks are taking place before signing can take place. It is the work of a few ignorant defence bloggers who keep wrongly stipulating the date of signing and when the date passes they blame the MoD instead for failures on their part and question the process instead of taking the blame themselves.

World class Training faculties are being set up trust me, Bidar AFS home of the IAF's training school is simply unmatched in all of Asia. And the deal for the basic trainers will be signed by June/July, I don't know why everyone was getting their panties in a twist over this deal, the winner was announced last year and now proper checks are taking place before signing can take place. It is the work of a few ignorant defence bloggers who keep wrongly stipulating the date of signing and when the date passes they blame the MoD instead for failures on their part and question the process instead of taking the blame themselves.

I said the ministry is frowning upon the costs of the deal. I did not say anything about there being signing delays. And this information, of the ministry (to be precise, the CCS) being wary of the deal, was obtained when most major newspapers reported it, not through "a few ignorant defence bloggers".

CCS nips IAF’s training plan - Bangalore - DNA
Indian Air Force's crucial trainer jet deal fails to take off : North News - India Today
Indian Air Force trainer jet deal in a limbo : North News - India Today
India Pilatus trainer announcement delayed by protests
Delayed decision on new ab initio trainer - SP's Aviation
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/1bn-basic-trainer-deal-stuck-as-iaf-awaits-nod/905477/

I wouldn't dismiss india today and the indian express as "ignorant defence bloggers".

Its quite ironical that due to financial recession countries around the world are cutting their defense budgets and their size of armies, here we have Indian Armed Forces with the nation firmly behind them ready to spend money on whatever they need but still they are short on things for reasons unknown.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom