What's new

KP buys medicines at prices lower than Punjab

Dawood Ibrahim

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
PESHAWAR: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa health department has purchased drugs at price lower than Punjab for the government hospitals in the current financial year, according to sources.

They said that health departments in both the provinces had certain mechanism for procurement of medicines but the manufacturers were able to sell the same preparations at different prices. A comparison drawn up by Punjab Pharmacists Association has pointed out huge differences in the prices of drugs purchased by the governments of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Punjab for the financial year 2016-17. It has enlisted 31 essential drugs with the minimum difference of 50 per cent in their rates.

Sources said that Diclofenac Sodium, a pain killer, was purchased at Rs0.31 per tablet by Khyber Pakhtunkhwa while the same preparation was sold to health department of Punjab at Rs3.94.

A pack of 14 Omeprazole 200mg was given to Khyber Pakhtunkhwa at Rs1.09 per capsule. The Punjab government got the same medicine from another manufacturer at Rs10.12, showing 828 per cent increase in its rate.

ADVERTISEMENT
Comparison shows 50pc higher rate in Punjab
The comparative list indicates that Punjab paid 806 per cent more in purchase of Cetirizine and bought it at Rs2.90 while Khyber Pakhtunkhwa bought at Rs0.32. The association said that Punjab government procured Maxifloxacin 250ml bottle at a rate of 403 per cent higher than that of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. It said that there was difference in prices of same medicines made by different manufacturers as well as the same companies.

“Latest example is oral hepatitis C tablet Sofosbuvir, which has been purchased at Rs54 and Rs49 per tablet by Punjab and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa respectively from the same company. The former is spending Rs500 million and the later Rs4.5 million for buying the same,” said the association.

It said that Punjab paid Rs10.42 for Tranexamic Acid 500mg while Khyber Pakhtunkhwa paid Rs6.65 per capsule to the same pharmaceutical company. Khyber Pakhtunkhwa spends about Rs5 billion on buying medicines and equipment every year while expenditures of Punjab are six times more in the same head.

“The companies, which get contract for a product in Punjab, demand lesser price in the other province for the same item because they know that competitors would give lower quotation than Punjab,” sources said.

They said that successful bidders in both the provinces were multinational and local firms. About 900 pharmaceutical companies operate in the country. They want to sell their products to the government in bulk.

“The governments make purchases once in a year, therefore, the companies make every effort to get contract for some products,” said sources.

They said that Punjab government purchased drugs first owing to which Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government got benefit of the competition among the bidders. The Medicine Coordination Council (MCC) has formed many committees for selection of rates and quality etc of the pharmaceutical companies, enabling the hospitals to purchase the same as per their need.

Sources said that they for the first time issued a centralised formulary to hospitals. In bidding process, it short-listed 54 of the 160 companies after technical and financial evaluation in accordance with Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Public Procurement of Goods, Works and Services Rule 2014.

The committees visited the site offices of the manufacturers and purchased drugs directly from them.

The bidders were given marks on the basis of their lowest rates and best quality.

“Recently, health department has also shared the whole procedure for drugs purchase with Balochistan and Sindh governments upon their request,” said sources.

Published in Dawn February 8th, 2017

the question is the reforms in KPK took almost 3+yrs and now they r coming in line and bearing fruits and one more thing is that the Pashtuns really care about their people and they did work very well for their province but what about others why other provinces and autonomous region dont work like them and think like them

The main issue which many are not even paying heed to is addressing the problems faced by the Pharmaceutical Industry. Untill and unless those are solved, we can not really ensure good health care and affordable yet potent medicines for common people. Here are the main problems the industry is facing:

http://dailytimes.com.pk/business/06-Jan-17/problems-faced-by-pakistans-pharma-industry

PS: Still damn good job by KPK Government.

So finally 3 plus years of reforms bearing fruits. and many was wondering what is PTI up to. why are not they "building" things. Well, They were building Institutes.

Way to Go KP. Still very behind in Health sector.

Not to forget the new high tech and well equipped general ICU in LRH Peshawar was ingurated just a day ago.

http://dunyanews.tv/en/Pakistan/374053-General-ICU-inaugurated-at-Peshawars-Lady-Reading

Indeed, a good news. i am following "naya KPK" thread for Updates of different projects. feeling like we are on right track. i will Pray Allah to make us elect PTI again. so that policies do not changes with change in government. at this stage we will be unable to bear the pain of Policy changes incase some other Party wins the election.

BTW what about that 800 bed under construction building in LRH ? kaam kahan tak pohncha ?

ndeed, a good news. i am following "naya KPK" thread for Updates of different projects. feeling like we are on right track. i will Pray Allah to make us elect PTI again. so that policies do not changes with change in government. at this stage we will be unable to bear the pain of Policy changes incase some other Party wins the election.

U have spoken my heart out. It would be damn unfortunate esp for KPK if next government also is not formed and led by by PTI.

U have spoken my heart out. It would be damn unfortunate esp for KPK if next government also is not formed and led by by PTI.

Exactly.

so this time, i am planning to take part in election campaign in my own district. will visit villages and try to interact with the youth. You should also do the same. as it won't take more then a month from us but will help us in many folds. need of the hour is to make youth of KP responsible for this task.

BTW what about that 800 bed under construction building in LRH ? kaam kahan tak pohncha ?

The work is in full swing and the way they are expediting I am pretty hopeful that IN SHA ALLAH it ll soon be completed and commissioned. Here are few recent glimpses of the project.

https://www.facebook.com/PTIKPOfficial/posts/1344062178947000

U can guess how speedy the work is going on when the project was announced quite short time back.

Not only that but many new facilities are being introduced in LRH

LRH to expand tertiary care services, boost IBP

When PML(n) government was in punjab province 2008 era , lahore metrobus was the only project . on the other hand PTI government in kpk making Peshawar Mass transit trade , Swat motorway , Independent police structure , education free for 5yrs to 16 yrs students , better hospitals with sehat insaf card where poor families will get free treatment upto 5 Lac Rupees , Sports complexes in Peshawar , Swabi , Charsadda , Mardan , kohat . Billion Tree Tsunami Project .

Exactly.

so this time, i am planning to take part in election campaign in my own district. will visit villages and try to interact with the youth. You should also do the same. as it won't take more then a month from us but will help us in many folds. need of the hour is to make youth of KP responsible for this task.

Actually when it comes to matter of voting for PTI then youth of the area had already rebelled against elders (ofcourse secretly :P). But ofcourse lot more is needed to be done.

Actually when it comes to matter of voting for PTI then youth of the area had already rebelled against elders (ofcourse secretly :P). But ofcourse lot more is needed to be done.

:rofl: .. true.

but Bro Propaganda barri kutti cheez hay. in 5 saalo me PTI kay khilaaf jitna propaganda ho chuka or ho raha hay na, apko kia lagta hay is ne thora b KP ki youth ko effect nahe kia hoga ? :azn:

So baad me pachtaane se behtar hay, thori mehnat karle. :P

better hospitals with sehat insaf card where poor families will get free treatment upto 5 Lac Rupees ,

The original Plan is to distribute sehat insaf card to Half of KP's Population. :D

:rofl: .. true.

but Bro Propaganda barri kutti cheez hay. in 5 saalo me PTI kay khilaaf jitna propaganda ho chuka or ho raha hay na, apko kia lagta hay is ne thora b KP ki youth ko effect nahe kia hoga ? :azn:

So baad me pachtaane se behtar hay, thori mehnat karle. :P

The original Plan is to distribute sehat insaf card to Half of KP's Population. :D

Its indeed a matter of concern but main problem is that KPK has never elected even once a party to continue ruling it for next 5 years too. Lets hope Naya KPK also brings in this change too. But still if with all these reforms KPK decides against PTI then it really deserves to be bashed hard.

Its indeed a matter of concern but main problem is that KPK has never elected even once a party to continue ruling it for next 5 years too. Lets hope Naya KPK also brings in this change too. But still if with all these reforms KPK decides against PTI then it really deserves to be bashed hard.

:lol:
Some times a good thing turns out to be a bad. "some times" . Just like this one. So you are right. lets hope this time People of KP "for a while" forget about "it's the same party man" . and elect them again. :pop:

So finally 3 plus years of reforms bearing fruits. and many was wondering what is PTI up to. why are not they "building" things. Well, They were building Institutes.

Way to Go KP. Still very behind in Health sector.

Indeed. Don't forget the reason why every Public Tender or Project in Punjab is more expensive is due to Sharif Brother Tax on everything. They are pakkay commission khor's.

Very unlikely that PTI will not form the next Government in KPK. In fact, expect PTI to get even more seats and form the simple majority. They dominate in the voter rich areas of KPK. It's a strategy by Khattak to dominate the areas that form majority of the seats, and PTI is likely to sweep those areas.

Back
Top Bottom