What's new

Khan Khwar project to come on line today

SHAMK9

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
LAHORE:
The Water and Power Development Authority (Wapda) has announced that the 72-megawatt (MW) Khan Khwar hydropower project, completed at a cost of Rs10.73 billion, will be formally inaugurated today (Saturday).
The high-head project will provide 306 million units of low-cost electricity per annum to the national grid with annual benefits estimated at more than Rs2.75 billion.
The project has been constructed on Khan Khwar (Nullah), a right bank tributary of Indus River near Besham town in Shangla district of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa. The main components of the project include a 46-metre high and 112-metre long dam, about 5km long tunnel, a power house and a switchyard.
According to Wapda, the cost includes foreign exchange component of Rs5.049 billion. The Islamic Development Bank (IDB) provided a loan of $30.8 million for the project.
Khan Khwar hydropower project is part of least-cost energy generation plan of Wapda being executed on priority in view of the increasing demand of electricity.
Of these, six projects with a combined production capacity of about 400MW will be completed this year. Prominent among the remaining 11 projects are 969MW Neelum Jhelum, 106MW Golen Gol, 4,500MW Diamer Bhasha, 1,410MW Tarbela 4th Extension, 84MW Kurram Tangi, 4,320MW Dasu, 740MW Munda and 7,100MW Bunji.
Published in The Express Tribune, July 14th, 2012.
Khan Khwar project to come on line today – The Express Tribune

WAPDA-27x4-LHR-Only.jpg

72 megawatts for 10.73 billion? what's the optimum bench mark, anyone?

I just like the name

Khan Khwar ho to 75 mega watts to baney ga

i just came back from my tour to khunjrab pass china border i passed by this projects site in besham at indus river , they should make more n more dams on indus river up in north side

i saw advertisement of this little dam and other proposed projects DASSU DAM is the best option for pakistan alternative of kala bagh Dam our govt should start the work on Dasu and Basha Dam these dams got huge sites and water flow is too much in summers

but sadly i havent seen any progress on Basha Dam just like last year :S

10.73 billion for 72 MW is too much
i think the report is wrong

construction of dam in one of the toughest terrain of world is not easy dear it costs more to construct on the site where there is not even basic infrastructure and facilities

Can somebody enlighten me as to why there is a picture of ZAB and BB there?

Is this a kingdom now that in every government ad there should be the huge teeth of Zardari and ZAB and BB?

You dont see it in UK, US or any other sane country.

BTW, today in the Sindh government ad, there was a little article which said 10,000 MW from thar coal by 2020. Optimistic???

Khan Khwar project in Bisham district expected to add 72MW to the national grid.
ISLAMABAD:
Prime Minister Raja Pervaiz Ashraf inaugurated on Saturday the Khan Khwar hydropower project in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa’s Bisham district.
In his address at the ceremony, the premier said that upon its completion the project would add 72MW to the national grid.
“(Power) generation through hydropower projects is our main focus in order to produce low-cost, environment-friendly electricity,” he added.
Talking about the government’s course of action to resolve the energy crisis, PM Ashraf said all hydropower projects, including Neelum, Jehlum, Dober, Kohal and Dasu, will be initiated soon while work on the Thar coal project had already started.
The premier was also given a detailed briefing on the project by the project’s head. He was informed that the Khan Khwar project, part of the Water and Power Development Authority’s (Wapda) energy generation plan, had been constructed at the Indus River’s right bank rivulet in the Shangla district. It had been completed at a cost of Rs11 billion, with the Islamic Development Bank contributing Rs5 billion as financial assistance.
The Khan Khwar project consists of a 46-metre high and 112-metre wide dam, a five-kilometre tunnel, a power house and a switchyard. It has been connected to the national grid via a 220/132kV transmission line.
Responding to demands presented by Wapda Chairman Shakil Durrani, Prime Minister Ashraf sanctioned a grid station, cadet college and passport office at Bisham and announced an extra month’s salary for the authority’s employees working on the project.

i just came back from my tour to khunjrab pass china border i passed by this projects site in besham at indus river , they should make more n more dams on indus river up in north side

i saw advertisement of this little dam and other proposed projects DASSU DAM is the best option for pakistan alternative of kala bagh Dam our govt should start the work on Dasu and Basha Dam these dams got huge sites and water flow is too much in summers

but sadly i havent seen any progress on Basha Dam just like last year :S

construction of dam in one of the toughest terrain of world is not easy dear it costs more to construct on the site where there is not even basic infrastructure and facilities

I don't think any location can be alternative to Kala Bagh, yes it can be additional location.

Back
Top Bottom