eastwatch

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
UNBconnect... - Khaleda urged to raise hilsa supply to Kolkata

Khaleda urged to raise hilsa supply to Kolkata Reported by: UNBConnect
Reported on: October 30, 2012 11:08 AM
Reported in: National

New Delhi, Oct 30 (UNB) - Scarcity of Padma Hilsa in Kolkata found a mention at the luncheon meeting hosted by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for Bangladesh opposition leader Khaleda Zia on Monday.

This type of fish, which had been catering to the substantial demand of Bengal capital, is now short in supply and the fish reaching Kolkata are smaller ones, reports The Times of India.

"I mentioned about the major decline in their availability in our state capital. We were told that the catch from Bangladesh is exported to other parts of the world, including Delhi, because prices are high there. The leader also told us that there has been a major decline in Hilsa catch this year because of draught like situation," Raiganj MP Deepa Das Munshi said. She was one of those few who attended the luncheon meeting on Monday afternoon.

The Congress leader said they were informed that even in Bangladesh the price of the fish has increased and one fish weighing around 1.5kg now costs Rs 1,500. "I have requested that the supply in Kolkata should be increased," she added.

Earlier, this year, the Bangladesh government had imposed a temporary ban on export of Hilsa fish because of deficit rainfall in the region and since the quantity of Hilsa fish was less. Though Hilsa from Ganga is considered of superior quality, in the past 10-15 years catch from Indian waters has decreased significantly. This is due to rapid industrialization along the river and high level of pollution.

The situation is not so gloomy in Bangladesh, which produces more than half the global hilsa yield. Hilsa generates revenues that account for 1.3% of Bangladesh's GDP.

Khaleda Zia is now in New Delhi on a weeklong tour of India at the invitation of the Indian government.

Since after India built and commissioned Farakka Barrage production of Hilsha has declined drastically. It is declining every year. So, If Calcutta hosewives want to get more Hilsha from BD they should force their Union govt to destroy that useless barrage.

Hahaha this is the most stupidest crap I have ever seen. Want Hilsha stop destroying the ecosystem with dams. BD has not blocked Hilsha supply.... It's falling every year.... Come and pay for it like everyone else.... For sustainable Hilsha supply fisheries needs to be managed.... But it a sea fish that spawns in freshwater.... Their spawning ground is being destroyed by Indian dams... The result is predictable ..... Theres nothing that Bangladesh can do as lower riparian country....

It's Kolkata. I thought only Urdu speakers confuse the pronunciation.

LOLL. Has Khalida Begum taken over the Hilsha whole-sale business?
Why raise this with her?

Please click the link with the news to read that Rajganj MP Deepa Das Munshi raised the issue in the Lunch Party thrown by MMS of India. It is very natural that being from Bangla she would be interested to raise it with the BD opposition leader. Our exporters cannot just ship the fish across the border. They require special govt permission to export. The opposition leader has certainly taken note of the issue and may try to solve it a bit if the situation changes so as there is a good catche in the future.

However, until the GoI keeps on taking advice from PDF Indian posters and builds dams, the supply of this fish will go down. Sp, demolish Farakka and get more Holsha. Good for both the countries. So, how about a trading? Demolish farakka and we double the supply.

Since after India built and commissioned Farakka Barrage production of Hilsha has declined drastically. It is declining every year. So, If Calcutta hosewives want to get more Hilsha from BD they should force their Union govt to destroy that useless barrage.

How? :cheesy:

No Hilsha Ilisha for Culcutta. Bangladesh itself got insufficient supplies and should Never import. Khaleda will lose Vote banks if she continues to talk like stupid.

Please click the link with the news to read that Rajganj MP Deepa Das Munshi raised the issue in the Lunch Party thrown by MMS of India. It is very natural that being from Bangla she would be interested to raise it with the BD opposition leader. Our exporters cannot just ship the fish across the border. They require special govt permission to export. The opposition leader has certainly taken note of the issue and may try to solve it a bit if the situation changes so as there is a good catche in the future.

However, until the GoI keeps on taking advice from PDF Indian posters and builds dams, the supply of this fish will go down. Sp, demolish Farakka and get more Holsha. Good for both the countries. So, how about a trading? Demolish farakka and we double the supply.

Thats a great idea; though I never liked Hilsha (or most river fish)--too many bones.
On second thoughts I'll go for the estuarine lobster; now what do they call them: Golda chingri?
About blowing up Farakka, I'l have to convince LaBong and Momotadi to agree.
LaBong maybe, Momotadi--------no chance. She can defy anything! Logic................. or even the Laws of Gravity! :lol:

lollll tell her to send some tomatoes and fish curry masala also...:rofl:

this is a diplomatic meet....or marketing meet

PS:- Next time Obama comes ask him to bring IPOD for me as its cheap over there then in India

Back
Top Bottom