What's new

Kerala Corner

Malayalam thespian Thilakan dead

National award-winning Malayalam film actor Thilakan is dead. He was 77.

Thilakan, who had acted in around 200 films and had won the national award for the best actor in a supporting role, died at a private hospital in Thiruvananthapuram around 3.30 a.m. on Monday after battling with multiple organ failure over the last one month.

Thilkan's body would be kept for public viewing at the Victoria Jubilee Memorial Town Hall in Thiruvananthapuram from 11 a.m. and cremated at the electric crematorium around 4 p.m.

Thilakan was born at Ayroor (now in Pathanamthitta district) on July 15, 1938. And he was born to act. His tryst with acting began while he was still at school. Acting – or theatre, to be more precise – was his vocation. It did not take him too long to make a mark as an exceptional performer on stage. His mentor P.J. Antony was his biggest influence in his theatre days.

Though he made his debut in cinema in 1972 with Periyar, it was with K.G. George’s Kolangal (1981) that he truly arrived in the tinsel town. As a drunkard, he put in a superb performance in a brilliantly written and directed film. It was followed by Yavanika, another masterpiece from Geroge, in which Thilakan played a theatre manager.

The film went on to attain cult status in Malayalam cinema, and though it was Mammootty, as sub inspector Jacob Eraly, who gained most from its success, Thilakan too made a huge impact.

Films like Panchagni, Dhwani, Sanmanassullavarkku Samadhanam, Namukku Parkkan Munthirithoppukal, Rithubhedam, Jathakam and Nadodikkattu established him as a versatile actor.

Then came Kireedom, in 1989. As Achuthan Nair, an ageing police constable who sees the dream for his son getting shattered, his performance was critically acclaimed. Many of his scenes with Mohanlal from Kireedom shows his mastery in acting.

Now, roles were written for him. A luxury often only the superstars could boast of.

Like in 1980s, the golden age of Malayalam cinema, the 90s also saw Thilakan giving life to one memorable character after another. He was the hero in films such as Kattukuthira, Perunthachan, Santhangopalam, Gamanam and his performances were no less than the heroes in films such as Sandesam, Kilukkam, Georgekutty C/O Georgekutty, Radhamadhavam, Kauravar, Sphadikam and Veendum Chila Veettukaryangal.

Age did not wither him as the new millennium too witnessed masterpieces from the actor. Films like Ekantham and Achan and more recently Indian Rupee and Ustad Hotel reminded us, yet again, that he was in a class of his own.

Ekantham fetched him a special jury award in 2007. He had won the National award for the best supporting actor for Rithubhedam in 1988.

He won the State award for the best actor twice, for Perunthachan (1990) and Gamanam and Santhanagopalam (both released in1994). He was the recipient of the second State best actor on six occasions, beginning with Yavanika (1982); the last was for Kattathoru Penpoovu (1998).

He would be a strong contender for an award in Ustad Hotel, one of his last releases, too, as the jury meets to decide the State Awards next year.

Thilakan, of course, had dominated the headlines more for controversies than his films over the last four years. He took on the Association of Malayalam Movie Artists (AMMA), which expelled him and he also faced a ban. Politicians and cultural icons, including Sukumar Azhikode, batted for him, but he was not part of the mainstream cinema for a while. But these couldn't stop Thilakan from acting.

So, Thilakan returned to deliver an impressive performance with Indian Rupee, which fetched rave reviews.

“I have never got as many phone calls as I did for Indian Rupee and that made me happy,” he had admitted. “I think people loved to see my comeback also because I had fought against certain evil practices in Malayalam cinema.”

They would have loved to see him act, anyway. They always have.

The Hindu : Arts / Cinema : Malayalam thespian Thilakan dead

A great actor. Though he acted in some Tamil movies as well I felt Kerala corner would be the appropriate place for him to rest. RIP and Malayalam/Tamil movie fans will miss you.

A great actor. Though he acted in some Tamil movies as well I felt Kerala corner would be the appropriate place for him to rest. RIP and Malayalam/Tamil movie fans will miss you.

I remember him from Satriyan...:angel:..RIP.

നിനക്കൊന്നും വേറേ ഒരു പണിയും ഇല്ലെടാ പന്ന തയോളികളെ....:whistle:

Translation (Man who live in glass house should change clothes in basement.):whistle:

Ksheeramullorakidin chuvattilum chora thanne kothukinnu kouthukam!!!!! ( ithu njan lavane udheshichu paranjatha

RIP Sri Thilakan.... You are irreplacable... you will remember in our hearts and lives thru the characters you have done!!!!!

417299_279530085491694_71162988_n.jpg
:cry:

SNDP accuses Cong of desecrating Sri Narayana Guru

A Congress leader in Kerala is in the dock over charges of blasphemy against the highly revered Sri Narayana Guru. The office bearers of Sri Narayana Dharma Paripalana Yogam (SNDP) have alleged that Congress leader and Ernakulam District committee President V J Poulose has insulted the Guru with his offending remarks against him.

The controversy took off from a Gurusamdthi (85th death anniversary) ritual in Mulanthuruthy near Kochi. Since Women’s Congress had scheduled a programme in the same locality that day, SNDP Taluk office bearers contacted V.J. Poulose and requested him to change the time of Congress programme so that people who liked to attend both programmes could do so sans any hassle. But, his response was too absurd, says, SNDP Yogam Kanayannur Taluk Union General Secretary P. P. Rajan. Poulose reportedly said about the Guru, “How many years since Narayanan died ! Still you are mourning him”?. It was something SNDP leaders could not tolerate.

Naturally, SNDP units protested. They carried out protest marches all over Ernakulam district. Hindu Aikya Vedi, a Sangh parivar organization, organized protest marches too. Even though newspapers carried some sort of regrets by Poulose, SNDP and Hindu Aikya Vedi have not accepted it. P.P. Rajan told TSI that SNDP plans to carry out a protest march to Ernakulam DCC office on the 26th September. Their demand is the immediate resignation of the DCC President V.J. Poulose from the party post. Else SNDP threatens to boycott his programmes.

On Monday, state home minister and Chief Minister Oommen Chandy’s trusted lieutenant Thiruvanchoor Radhakrishnan was closeted with SNDP functionaries in Muvattupuzha, Ernakulam district. SNDP leaders told the minister that they had nothing against Congress party, but would not compromise until Poulose resigns from the post. Minister also spoke to SNDP Yogam General Secretary Vellappalli Nateshan. But, still white smoke is evasive. Radhakrishnan informed SNDP men that he would inform KPCC president Ramesh Chennithala about the latest development.

Talking to TSI Online, Yogam General Secretary Vellappalli Nateshan said that Poulose had admitted to the media persons what he had told SNDP men. Vellappalli also said that this is too crude a statement from the functionary of a mainstream political party. “It is about 2000 years since Jesus Christ left for his heavenly abode. Still Good Friday is being observed and nobody questions its relevance. Many members of Ezhava community (Backward Hindu OBC organized under SNDP banner) hang the pictures of Jesus in their house walls. Hindus generally decorate the houses with stars and crib in connection with X-mas days. That means, Hindus are respecting other religious sentiments. But, Poulose, a Christian, does not tolerate others’ faiths,” Vellappalli added.

Vellapalli asks if Poulose dares to say similar things about other community then it will lead to bloodbath. Vellappalli cited the example of US made blasphemous film “Innocence of Muslims” which was screened only in US and caused the killings of about two dozen people in Pakistan. The same film is not seen in Facebook or Youtube in India. Congressmen should understand the greatness of Sri Narayana Guru.

When TSI contacted V.J. Poulose, he said that he has never made any derogatory remarks against Sri Narayana Guru. “The Women’s Congress programme was scheduled much in advance. So, when SNDP men asked to postpone it, Congress had its own problems,” he said. Poulose added that he just tried to convince them but, then came this propaganda against him. He further said that even though he had expressed his regrets, if at all his words had hurt anyone’s feelings, still they are after him.

What will happen to the already strained relations between Congress and SNDP is yet to be watched and seen.

In the meantime, the state is already under the cloud of another controversy, again about Sri Narayana Guru. It is about CBSE textbook for 8th standard. It is alleged that it contains derogatory remarks against Sri Narayana Guru. State minister K. Babu has already came down heavily on it. Addressing a Guru Samdhi programme in Sivagiri, Babu said that any move to twist and distort Sri Narayana philosophy and history would be opposed tooth and nail.

SNDP accuses Cong of desecrating Sri Narayana Guru - T. Satisan - The Sunday Indian

another example of Christian intolerance ....Christian party (Congress) is now directly targeting Hindus ....

^^ Have you noticed the increase in desecration of Sree Narayana Guru Statues after NSS-SNDP announced that they will work together.

dcc president met vellappilli in his house and given written apology..

matter solved.

^^ Have you noticed the increase in desecration of Sree Narayana Guru Statues after NSS-SNDP announced that they will work together.

ya thats obvious ...their frustration is visible on this Christian poulose's statement ....i hope Hindu Unity will give them a Fitting reply

dcc president met vellappilli in his house and given written apology..

matter solved.

for Ezhava's like me matter is not solved ....

ya thats obvious ...their frustration is visible on this Christian poulose's statement ....i hope Hindu Unity will give them a Fitting reply

for Ezhava's like me matter is not solved ....

what more you want , it was a mistake , he apologised..what more do you want..?

mistake we dont think so ...he is a Christian and made that comment to hurt the sentiments of Ezhava community , ....Congress must remove him from DCC president position

It was a willfully made mistake. Being in a position of power, one should not make this type of dumb comment when almost all in Kerala knows how much importance that Ezhavas attach to Sree Narayana Guru.

mistake we dont think so ...he is a Christian and made that comment to hurt the sentiments of Ezhava community , ....Congress must remove him from DCC president position

I think you are asking a bit more than needed.. any way your choice.

Back
Top Bottom