What's new

Kelvin Hughes To Supply I-Band SharpEye Submarine Radar Systems To Pakistan

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
doppler_r_1487670699.jpg

I-band SharpEye Submarine Radar (Image: Kelvin Hughes)
- A +
Kelvin Hughes has won a contract to supply the I-band SharpEye Doppler submarine radar system as part of a mid-life upgrade program for the Pakistan Navy’s Agosta 90B-class submarines (also known as the Khalid class diesel electric attack submarine).

Working with Turkish defence contractor STM, the main contractor for the refurbishment programme, Kelvin Hughes will supply the SharpEye system to the first submarine in 2018, the company said in a statement Tuesday.

Traditionally, submarines only tend to use radar for navigation when entering or leaving port, because high-power RF transmissions can compromise their ability to remain undetected when used in more open waters. However, with its low power, pulse Doppler transmission technology, SharpEye can provide a reduced probability of intercept which significantly lowers the risk of the submarine being detected but without compromising the target detection performance of the radar.

The SharpEye™ transceiver can be located within the pressure hull, making use of the existing bulkhead infrastructure, antenna rotational drive and waveguide connections.

Doppler processing of the radar returns means that more targets can be detected, earlier and at a longer range. Delivering improvements in sub-clutter visibility of approximately 30dB, SharpEye™ can identify small, low RCS (Radar Cross Section) targets, even in adverse weather conditions.

A series of electronic filters enables SharpEye™ to distinguish between targets of interest and unwanted sea and rain clutter.

Earlier this year, Karachi Shipyard & Engineering launched the Pakistan Navy’s 17,000 tonne fleet tanker and Kelvin Hughes can also now announce that it has been contracted to supply the ship with SharpEyeI and E/F frequency band Doppler radar as well tactical radar software and widescreen displays.

The combined systems will equip the vessel with warship navigation and tactical situational awareness capabilities, including helicopter tracking, recovery and control.

http://www.defenseworld.net/news/18...marine_Radar_Systems_To_Pakistan#.WK1i8FV97IU

SHARPEYE™ SOLID STATE PULSE DOPPLER RADAR
The SharpEye™ I-Band (X-Band) radar transceiver for submarines is based on a downmast transceiver housed in an enclosure measuring only 743 x 487 x 300mm located witin the pressure hull and provides submarines both in-service as a retrofit and new classes, a high performance solid state radar with similar capabilities to SharpEye™ radars installed on naval surface ships.

This downmast submarine radar solution makes use of the existing bulkhead infrastructure in the pressure hull, removing the need to the replace antenna mast system with a non-hull penetrating mast system and utilising the existing external antenna, rotational drive and waveguide connections. Kelvin Hughes also manufactures and supplies a pressure resistant 'AZL' submarine antenna.

Solid state radar ensures extremely high reliability and low through life costs:

• No magnetron - minimal routine maintenance requirements
  • No fault-finding training required
  • Line replaceable unit - does not require radar trained technician to replace
  • Low Mean Time To Repair (MTTR)
sharpeye-transceiver.jpg

SharpEye™ transmits a low power patented pulse sequence, which enables short, medium and long range radar returns to be detected simultaneously, allowing the radar operator to maintain situational awareness regardless of the range scale setting of the radar display. Other users of the radar can select their own radar display range scale. A low peak transmission power (less than 300W) equivalent to a 25kW magnetron reduces the probability of intercept by ESM systems.

Doppler processing of radar returns provides coherent information concerning target velocity (radial) and enable the detection of very small and slow moving objects and targets with a low Radar Cross Section (RCS) and through a series of electronic filters is able to distinguish between the targets of interest and sea, rain and land clutter.

Other differentiating technologies include Moving Target Detection (MTD), providing enhanced clutter suppression at the Doppler processing stage and pulse compression of the return signal enabling a low transmit power providing efficient use of the radar and reducing the probability of detection by ESM equipment. Other Doppler radars may employ less advanced techniques such as Moving Target Indication (MTI), which does not take full advantage of the radial velocity information.

SharpEye™ is a truly multipurpose naval radar transceiver:

• Navigation
  • Surface search
  • Bi-directional links to combat management system
  • Uniform transmission on all ranges so that multiple users on different range scales all see the optimum picture
  • Frequency diversity, user selectable frequencies to ensure interoperability

news-sharpeye-type-approval.jpg

A product of pure evil. It will not only seek out submarines but its signals will make everyone in PN illuminati :D
May be with this eye marked radar installed they can take over the controls of our sub and use it against us.

On a serious note, i am not sure what additional advantages it will have over the Sonar systems that we have (they are also be upgraded as far as i know)
@Quwa @Bilal Khan 777

:raise::raise::raise:

Just a noobish question how good this radar is if you rate from 1-10??

and how much will it enhance the capabilities of our subs

On a serious note, i am not sure what additional advantages it will have over the Sonar systems that we have (they are also be upgraded as far as i know)

It's not supposed to compete with sonar for detection. It's a navigation radar for maneuvering in confined spaces or congested waters where sonar usage is either restricted (active) or becomes mired in the clutter of coastal waters (passive). Many smaller boats have equally small RCS, hence why the SharpEye's pitch makes note of its ability to detect low RCS vessels, this will help ensure the submarine can safely transit in bottled-up waters or waters with high traffic when on the surface.

Launched in 2006, more than 25 navies now use SharpEye™ radars and displays, which delivers improvements in sub-clutter visibility by approximately 30dB, enabling targets with a low Radar Cross Section (RCS), typically 0.5m2, to be detected even in heavy rain and high sea states. Doppler processing enables clutter removal without picture degradation. This combined with a host of other unique and special features in the radar sensor, provides an unprecedented level of situational awareness.

Note: this does not equal counter-stealth capabilities. The low-RCS detection capability are meant to track small boats like coastal fishing vessels in adverse conditions, not stealthy warships at standoff ranges.

20160326_094642.jpg

You'll find them on larger vessels too, but again, they don't replace the larger radars like SPY-1F (look atop the SPY-1 mast and below the forward SPG-62)
FNAN_F310_Brendefur_RIMPAC%2014_120714_06.t541005ec.m1600.x2f002ed9.jpg

Smaller boats like RHIBs also have such radars, although in this case the array is static and does not rotate.
mjk3.t51c80aa0.m2400.x83458dec.jpg

Just a noobish question how good this radar is if you rate from 1-10??

and how much will it enhance the capabilities of our subs

It'll make them safer when transiting near-shore waters or moving for sea-to-port or port-to-sea, but it's nothing overly special. Rating it kind of seems unnecessary. It does its job.

The type is already in use on the RN's Type 45 destroyers (look directly above the bridge, almost half-way up the mast).
HMS_Daring-1.jpg

Last edited:
May be with this eye marked radar installed they can take over the controls of our sub and use it against us.

@Quwa @Bilal Khan 777
Seems like the Navy is just standardizing on the SharpEye platform. It is used on the PN Fleet Tanker and would probably show up on a few other naval ships in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom