What's new

JIO - India just might have become the largest mobile data consuming country.

Quibbler

Reaction score
Country
India
Mukesh Ambani in a press conference has claimed that India has become the largest Mobile data consumer in the world. He backed it up by stats from the JIO network. According to the release - JIO subscribers( 100 Million ) are consuming 330 Peta Byte of data every month.
I.e 10 GB per month per user for the subscriber base and 1 GB per month per capita for the entire country.

Global average is around 819 MB per subsriber. China comes in around 400MB per subsrciber. US around 1GB. European countries outperform the average.( These figures are based on quick google searches. I will be happy to edit them if contradicted).

I have quote a TOI article detailing the press conference.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...0-days-mukesh-ambani/articleshow/57269396.cms

NEW DELHI: Reliance Industries' Jio telecom unit hit 100 million subscribers in 170 days, chairman Mukesh Ambani announced today.

That means, Jio added seven customers every second, Ambani added at a video conference today. He further announced that once Jio starts charging customers in April, all domestic voice calls to any network will always remain free.

"Jio users consumed more than 100cr GB of data per month on the Jio network. That's more than 3.3Cr GB a day," Ambani said, adding that it has more than double the number of 4G base stations when compared to all the other Indian operators put together.

Reliance Jio Infocomm Ltd opened for business in September and shook up the country's competitive telecoms market+ with its free voice and cheap data plans that are slated to run through the end of March.

Ambani had already hinted last week that Jio surpassed the 100 million subscriber mark+ , in comments he made at a tech industry conference.

"When we started Jio and we set a target for ourselves in terms of saying that we will acquire a 100 million customers in the shortest time, even we didn't imagine that we will do it in months in terms of that," Ambani said at the time.

Jio's launch came after years of delay. Reliance Industries has already invested more than $20 billion into the venture.

Shares of some of Jio's rivals fell ahead of Ambani's speech, with Bharti Airtel down 2.2 percent. Idea Cellular fell as much as 1.1 percent but recovered to gain 0.41 percent later in the day.

Bharti Airtel and Idea are India's largest and third-largest telecoms network operators, respectively.

10gb/month/subscriber? I don't believe it. Nor does JIO have the infrastructure to support that sort of data flow.

if available free of cost then even Poison will have higher consumption . . . and this is free data we are talking about :P
If true, the point that is of most importance is that- Jio has the necessary infra to support that kind of traffic. And in the end Jio will try to monetise the entire network capacity.

10gb/month/subscriber? I don't believe it. Nor does JIO have the infrastructure to support that sort of data flow.
Its hard to believe. But there was a release from Cisco that claims that it does have the capacity. Lemme see if i can tag it along. But one thing is sure 22 Billion $ infra capex has already been made and more is on its way. So there is a real possibility that this is true.

Jio has got India hooked with the aggressive plans and freebies, people have enjoyed Calls,Data, movies, music, Tv etc all in one device, that too with minimal or free rates so far, if they are able to retain even 80% what the have now as user base, we are going to see world largest communication company in making.

and I am not doubting his claim, just before HNY offer which restricted 1GB high speed data per day, it had earlier allowed 4GB data, and before that unlimited, and I have seen people downloading/using 1TB of bandwidth in just weeks.

Jeez you people should switch to BSNL
I used to download 8 GB data per day with 200-220 GB data per month for 800 rupees .
Private companies are scaming Indians .
Data they provide is peanut compared to BSNL .

When its comes to customer care , they all are cr@p .
They only have money care that's all .

Am i the only one who doesnt use a JIO sim ? 8-)8-)8-)

grouphug.gif

Jeez you people should switch to BSNL
I used to download 8 GB data per day with 200-220 GB data per month for 800 rupees .
Private companies are scaming Indians .
Data they provide is peanut compared to BSNL .

When its comes to customer care , they all are cr@p .
They only have money care that's all .

View attachment 379014
bsnl has worst customer service.. the operators are rude...

bsnl has worst customer service.. the operators are rude...

6 years in a row , they provided good services and care .
In turn I downloaded 10,000 Gigabytes of uninterrupted Data for 6 years .
Last few months I had issues , so we stopped/cancelled our BSNL services .
Few days ago Brother bought JIO-Fi for us . Still I am using 2G Airtel with Nokia PC Suite for my PC :D

Customer care is pretty bad for Airtel and Aircel .
Airtel-I demanded 500 MB data that wasn't provided to me . But got 200 MB
Aircel-I demanded my money which was being cut due to various services which i never subscribed to . Never got that money .

6 years in a row , they provided good services and care .
In turn I downloaded 10,000 Gigabytes of uninterrupted Data for 6 years .
Last few months I had issues , so we stopped/cancelled our BSNL services .
Few days ago Brother bought JIO-Fi for us . Still I am using 2G Airtel with Nokia PC Suite for my PC :D

Customer care is pretty bad for Airtel and Aircel .
Airtel-I demanded 500 MB data that wasn't provided to me . But got 200 MB
Aircel-I demanded my money which was being cut due to various services which i never subscribed to . Never got that money .
thats the problem with bsnl.. till it works, no issue... plus they dont give a sh*t about data cap or anything.. desh ka maal... who cares...
but when it stops working then you will have to run around...
airtel and aircel are slow too.. but jio is going to severly affect them.. it might be good for consumer in short term but bad for telecom sector in long term... is not vodafone already exiting India...
if nobody makes money in a price war, then the one with deepest pocket wins just by being last man standing.. and then its monopoly.. TRAI should do something about it(free data or call should be illegal).

thats the problem with bsnl.. till it works, no issue... plus they dont give a sh*t about data cap or anything.. desh ka maal... who cares...
but when it stops working then you will have to run around...
airtel and aircel are slow too.. but jio is going to severly affect them.. it might be good for consumer in short term but bad for telecom sector in long term... is not vodafone already exiting India...
if nobody makes money in a price war, then the one with deepest pocket wins just by being last man standing.. and then its monopoly.. TRAI should do something about it(free data or call should be illegal).

That is a reality of every Government department :D
After 100's of compliant , My dad met with them in person and their advice was to get JIO as Telephone lines laid were decades old and fault is their , So Internet will not work until push comes from top .

I thought Vodafone is merging with some other :undecided:
Airtel is bringing same Jio scheme , Should I go with Airtel or buy myself a JIO .
JIO as of now will provide 60 GB per month for free .
After payment , it will be 2500 rupees for 70 GB .
Still a far cry .

Fast data means nothing if their is a cap on data and that too in a poor country .
But I also understand the reason behind capping :rolleyes:

Actually i didn't bought Jio b'cuz of welcome plan & will wait to see its service after march. For past months i'm having network loss with Airtel so i'm waiting for Vodafone & Idea merger for next month.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom