What's new

JF17 AESA radar

What makes you think the member is here for ANYTHING else? Knowledge and information sharing is last of the concerns of the self-declared analysts.

I wasn't dick measuring when I brought it up.:p:

Or do you dare suggest otherwise?:mad:

Yaar aik tu is time roza laga hua hota ha uper sa ya discussions :(

Anyways, i guess it is high time we return to the topic of JF-17 AESA
and,, on topic,
It is pretty obvious that BLK-II in current configuration in not going to have an AESA so the topic is also pretty much dead.
By the developments and whispers coming out of PAC and PAF it seem that BLK-III will have a Chinese made AESA along with most probably a new engine.
It makes sense that we discuss the capabilities of that radar once it is confirmed. :) I hope you agree with at least the last line :P

You are not the quoted one. Plus, dont measure.. seriously its just weird.
its not the size of it, its how you use it :p:

AND the girth, the girth is also important.

Nah, I just saw that you'd posted recently, thought I'd check it out.

Btw, have you been keeping up with the progress in the back-end software for the 35's radar, apparently it will still take 3 years under a revised schedule to get it to speed and complete all the lines, what are the muricans trying to get that radar to do exactly?:o:

Yaar aik tu is time roza laga hua hota ha uper sa ya discussions :(

Anyways, i guess it is high time we return to the topic of JF-17 AESA
and,, on topic,
It is pretty obvious that BLK-II in current configuration in not going to have an AESA so the topic is also pretty much dead.
By the developments and whispers coming out of PAC and PAF it seem that BLK-III will have a Chinese made AESA along with most probably a new engine.
It makes sense that we discuss the capabilities of that radar once it is confirmed. :) I hope you agree with at least the last line :P

Actually the only conclusion that I reached was that even if there are technological challenges involved the real reason for the absence of an AESA sensor is that the PAF does not deem it to be an "aar ya paar" issue. I mean we didn't start jumping around for a similar upgrade on the navy fulcrums despite the offers from the Russians, priorities, its all about priorities.

Btw, have you been keeping up with the progress in the back-end software for the 35's radar, apparently it will still take 3 years under a revised schedule to get it to speed and complete all the lines, what are the muricans trying to get that radar to do exactly?:o:.

In the words of a visiting PAF officer who got to get the "frenemie" tour of the F-35 and other things. The USAF is a hundred years ahead of what the airforces of this region have.

In the words of a visiting PAF officer who got to get the "frenemie" tour of the F-35 and other things. The USAF is a hundred years ahead of what the airforces of this region have.

Although I am skeptical about their idea of radar based smart jamming, the raw power needed is just not there when you're operating in various simultaneous modes. Even the on board self protection jammers are generally good against active seekers and the lot, generally you need a dedicated jamming pod (next gen jammer in the case of the 35) for taking on bigger and badder sensors (unless one is to completely buy the idea of the Rafale "completely disappearing" from the radar operator's screens in Libya just by the virtue of SPECTRA).

Although I am skeptical about their idea of radar based smart jamming, the raw power needed is just not there when you're operating in various simultaneous modes. Even the on board self protection jammers are generally good against active seekers and the lot, generally you need a dedicated jamming pod (next gen jammer in the case of the 35) for taking on bigger and badder sensors (unless one is to completely buy the idea of the Rafale "completely disappearing" from the radar operator's screens in Libya just by the virtue of SPECTRA).

The Libya attack could have been done equally well by any 4th Gen Multirole aircraft. I wouldn't really want to keep that as a benchmark.

About jamming, you can have all the jamming you can have, but the missiles are getting smarter too. They all come with home-in-on jam capability, so jamming would be a big no no. Yes, you can do jamming to prevent a lock in the first place, but we need real combat scenarios for such discussions. There hasn't been any.

The Libya attack could have been done equally well by any 4th Gen Multirole aircraft. I wouldn't really want to keep that as a benchmark.

About jamming, you can have all the jamming you can have, but the missiles are getting smarter too. They all come with home-in-on jam capability, so jamming would be a big no no. Yes, you can do jamming to prevent a lock in the first place, but we need real combat scenarios for such discussions. There hasn't been any.

Ergo the skepticism, although, mind you a proper jamming pod will make life particularly difficult, specially the latest generation which make "home on jamming" quite difficult with frequency hopping and through generation of complicated "shadows and reflections", those have the output required to go toe to toe with the larger sensors populating an ADGE.

I do not have to do any extensive research to find that it is the first that IAF is not interested in and the second one is no where in sight!
However, i am not looking for another D**k measuring contest that our AWACS are better then yours or that stuff, all i can say is that there is a reason that PAF rather then going for off the shelve options went for a customized ZDK platform that have been repeatedly confirmed to have significant contribution on Pakistan's part.
Also i do not feel that it is appropriate to discuss how ZDK is compared to what DROD is trying to build as, again, this is JF-17 AESA thread!

I'm not complaining if you choose to remain ignorant even after IAF placed firm orders
for the first. Please go ahead with the topic, you won't hear from me about
this side-topic again.

Nah, @gambit had a very nice writeup somewhere on why that is just a flight of fancy

There are cases where RAW power may be offset by smarter DSP..but as such, the F-135 is a REALLY powerful engine.

AESA radar should be top priority for JF17 thunder I think , rather then adding another 150 planes with no such radar

By the way have our JF17 program has made a century yet ?

14th August is coming so was wondering if we will be inducting a new squadron this year ?

Yes, we know, how about space issues that would fit AESA later?

It is smaller and lighter. The only issue is cooling. But if F16 can get it without any modification what makes you unsure about JF17?

It is smaller and lighter. The only issue is cooling. But if F16 can get it without any modification what makes you unsure about JF17?

For starters, the age old issue of $$$$$. Since funds being diverted to IDP's and Zarb e Azab.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom