What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

That would be going towards more of a bubble type canopy---is that what you are saying.

It would be nice to have that---but wouldn't that require some structural changes in the front---as the top back part of the canopy is pretty much flush with the frame of the aircraft as of now----.

The canopy should have been a bubble type from the begining---I think it would require some major engineering changes becase it would completely change the current geometry of ther aircraft.

I think it is too late to make these changes----it would be better to go for more J 10 B's---.
Not bubble...that would be too much, but something similar to the Super Hornet or even Gripen. Something that can give better visual awareness to the pilot.

I hope JF-17 uses an integrated IRST pod - just like FC-20. Its been at least 7 years since AWC rolled out the wing-based IRST, so I'd imagine we would see considerable improvements in terms of performance & weight in the system for JF-17. Ideally it could be situated under the nose-cone or in front of the canopy...but for the latter, I think the canopy will need some form of visual improvement. A good reference point might be to see how the F/A-18 Hornet and JAS-39 Gripen series addressed it...may need elevated seating & a slightly bigger canopy.

Not necessarily the canopy would need redesigning. Here see this picture by enlarging it, you will find sufficient space on the nose cone around the front glass of canopy for an IRST to be mounted without hindering the pilot's view in the front, see the distance between the place where the front side of the canopy ends to the location of the HUD. This place can be taken up by the IRST without giving any problem to the pilot view.

jf17thunderdw6.jpg

Compare it to the IRST mounting on the J-10B, its on the side without giving any problem to the pilot, and by looking at the first picture of JF-17's nose, it can get the same arrangement also without giving problem to the pilot's view.

39_66_9b955bf88c7a56f.jpg

the main point of concern will be what exactly will be the active range of IRST that we will be getting on JF17.
infact we even do not know much about the range of the one on FC-20 which is supposed to be 70Km appx!
i hope JF can get something of the same league!!.

the main advantage of the IRST will be to detec and track enemy targets even with off radar! thus this will only be used tto full potential if they have good range.

regards!

Azerbaijan interested in purchase of JF-17 Thunder fighters

http://www.centurychina.com/plaboard/posts/3873242.shtml

Pakistani fighter Catic JF-17 Thunder has been demonstrated at an airshow in Farnborough.

It has attracted the interest of a number of countries including Azerbaijan.

JF-17 Thunder fighter was initially developed by Chinese engineers for the needs of the Pakistani airforce. First fighters JF-17 Thunder (Chinese FC-1 Saolun) were supplied to the Pakistani armed forces in 2007.

Now the project is entering a new level and the Chinese-Pakistani producers are searching ways to the international market.

Among potential customers who demonstrated interest to the innovation are Azerbaijan, Iran, Egypt, Turkey, Venezuela and a number of other countries.

Earlier, the press spread information about an agreement with Azerbaijan regarding the purchase of at least 24 JF-17 fighters estimated at about $17m each, which envisions the volumes of supply at about $500,000,000.

Pakistani fighter Catic JF-17 Thunder has been demonstrated at an airshow in Farnborough.

It has attracted the interest of a number of countries including Azerbaijan.

JF-17 Thunder fighter was initially developed by Chinese engineers for the needs of the Pakistani airforce. First fighters JF-17 Thunder (Chinese FC-1 Saolun) were supplied to the Pakistani armed forces in 2007.

Now the project is entering a new level and the Chinese-Pakistani producers are searching ways to the international market.

Among potential customers who demonstrated interest to the innovation are Azerbaijan, Iran, Egypt, Turkey, Venezuela and a number of other countries.

Earlier, the press spread information about an agreement with Azerbaijan regarding the purchase of at least 24 JF-17 fighters estimated at about $17m each, which envisions the volumes of supply at about $500,000,000.

There is some correction needed for no of AC or its price. 24 AC by $17m each will cost $408,000,000 unless there are some other components also included with deal.

Compare it to the IRST mounting on the J-10B, its on the side without giving any problem to the pilot, and by looking at the first picture of JF-17's nose, it can get the same arrangement also without giving problem to the pilot's view.
In J10-B the nose cone is tilted downwards due to factors largely, air intake and view, so IRST location cannot be placed more appropirately than above the nose cone.
while in JF-17 due to side air intakes the nose cone is different (more pessed fom sides) hence IRST can be installed under the nose cone or in front of belly drop tank.
IMO, considering the modular design nature of JF-17 it is more feasable to use external IRST podes instead of integrated IRST as in J10-B.
images

best would be to design a belly drop tank that can be mounted beneath IRST pode.

Last edited:
In J10-B the nose cone is tilted downwards due to factors largely, air intake and view, so IRST location cannot be placed more appropirately than above the nose cone.
while in JF-17 due to side air intakes the nose cone is different (more pessed fom sides) hence IRST can be installed under the nose cone or in front of belly drop tank.
IMO, considering the modular design nature of JF-17 it is more feasable to use external IRST podes instead of integrated IRST as in J10-B.
images

best would be to design a belly drop tank that can be mounted beneath IRST pode.

External IRST will take up a hard point, which can be used for a targeting pod more efficiently, while the internal IRST will be ever available, no need to get the plane readied with an external IRST.

Very doable in the current nose design of the JF-17, provided there is space for adjusting the IRST equipment inside somewhere.

There is some correction needed for no of AC or its price. 24 AC by $17m each will cost $408,000,000 unless there are some other components also included with deal.

I think missiles and other goodies that JFT has developed as an "Add On" would cost the remaining sum.

Just a glimpse of its agility followed by translation by a Chinese friend.......

Test Pilot: Lei Qiang (LQ)

LQ: when I got to the plane, I looked down and noticed many officials had tears in

their eyes, my heart twisted. I have been flying for so many years, but never once

had the feeling that I might not come back.

LQ: When I calm down, the commander told me to turn on the engine. My mind immediately focus

on all the tecnical sides. I followed the instructions step by step and completely

focused on the aircraft itself.

LQ: At the moment the aircraft took off, right at that moment, I felt the aircraft is very good,

when it turns, it is very agile.

LQ: the commander asked me how it was going, I replied that the plane is excellent. It was

actually beyond my imagination. It felt quite different from the simulation on the ground.

I was very happy, very excited. and felt this is what a good fighter jet should be like.

LQ: I still have gas left, so I asked the commander: can I fly some more..

Last edited by a moderator:
Project 33

Around 1980, the Mikoyan OKB design bureau began working on a very light “strike fighter” that was intended to be a direct competitor to the F-16 Fighting Falcon. This new Mikoyan design, designated Izdeliye 33 (Izd 33) (and variously translated as “Article 33”, “Project 33”, “Product 33”, or “Project R-33”), was of conventional layout and similar in appearance to the F-16. It was powered by a single Klimov RD-33 afterburning turbofan engine – the same engine used by the twin-engined MiG-29. While extensive wind-tunnel testing was conducted on the design, no prototypes were built since the Soviet Air Force (VVS) dropped its support for concept about 1986. The program was one of several victims of the VVS’ changing operational needs, financial constraints, and a growing preference for multirole designs.
[edit] Influence on the Chengdu FC-1 "Xiao Long"

Following the cancellation of U.S. and European companies’ participation in the development of the Westernized Chengdu J-7 variant known as the “Super-7”, China launched a program in 1991 to develop an indigenous evolution of this MiG-21-based design, which it designated the FC-1 (“Fighter China 1”). To expedite its development, officials of the Chengdu Aircraft Industries Corporation (CAC) or the China National Aero-Technology Import and Export Corporation (CATIC) – or perhaps both – approached Mikoyan for technical support. In 1998, CATIC purchased Izd 33 design and test information from the Mikoyan design bureau, along with other research and development assistance. These designs were used in development of JF-17 / FC-1 by Pakistan and China.

Thunder project has nothing to do with Mig-33 and this has been discussed in detail in past.

Hi,

In the end---it doesnot make any difference who's design was used and who's was not used.

You got to look at your end product and see if it does the job that it was designed to.

It is smart engineering to use an existing design----it is better to ride piggy back on a proven item from a proven manufacturer than to dive into the realm of the unknown on your own.

If you look at the engineering history of chinese weapons production---there is nothing that they have which they can claim to be ORIGINAL. Everything is a copy of something---.

So---is JF 17 a copy of something---. There is every chance that it is----because the very short time period from production to flight to operational status----these miracles don't happen just like that---.

Bottomline---I would say that I am proud that someone at catic and paf had the common sense to pick up on an existing design and take it further.

Even the B 2 bomber is a copy of something that was designed two generations ago---and nobody is hiding that fact---as a matter of fact they take it as a sense of pride to acknowledge something good that existed so long ago to be produced now.

So---I think the design issue should not be any issue at all.

Well i think we (Pakistan) should follow the same route copy stuff n make it better!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom