What's new

JF 17 Maximum Speed...1.6 Mach or 2.0 Mach ?

and what will this new bird be? do i see the j31 over the horizon coupled with some f16's? speaking of f16's they have just been halted.
F-16 sale delayed in US Congress - Newspaper - DAWN.COM

Its too early to guess at this point, seeing as the ground situation will probably have undergone a quantum shift by that time. Though yes, the J-X does seem like a potential candidate but once again, in ten years time we could have a completely different defense landscape.
The F-16 block is a regular occurrence, the Indian Lobby have to justify their dollars, it will eventually pass.

Its too early to guess at this point, seeing as the ground situation will probably have undergone a quantum shift by that time. Though yes, the J-X does seem like a potential candidate but once again, in ten years time we could have a completely different defense landscape.
The F-16 block is a regular occurrence, the Indian Lobby have to justify their dollars, it will eventually pass.
from what i know and what common sense tells me it would be 2020 before we see a major(new platform) order from paf. which is expected to be a 5th gen fighter. i have no doubt the indian lobby will overturn to pressure from the defense lobby which want the deal to go through to keep keep the money coming in and the production lines open for as long as possible. the defense lobby is the near enough the strongest lobby there is.

from what i know and what common sense tells me it would be 2020 before we see a major(new platform) order from paf. which is expected to be a 5th gen fighter. i have no doubt the indian lobby will overturn to pressure from the defense lobby which want the deal to go through to keep keep the money coming in and the production lines open for as long as possible. the defense lobby is the near enough the strongest lobby there is.

I am in agreement as well about the assembly line and possible development. Lockheed will never desire to shut down such profitable line like this so also the lobby working to stall the deal wouldn't be happy after all in coming days as this is not the first time the pro-Indian lobby has done something like this. Hopefully 16s will come however, worse come worst, if the deal is cancelled so then definitely it will open a new shopping window for PAF and more probably will going to be Chinese.

I am in agreement as well about the assembly line and possible development. Lockheed will never desire to shut down such profitable line like this so also the lobby working to stall the deal wouldn't be happy after all in coming days as this is not the first time the pro-Indian lobby has done something like this. Hopefully 16s will come however, worse come worst, if the deal is cancelled so then definitely it will open a new shopping window for PAF and more probably will going to be Chinese.
well its only a matter of time. besides pakistan is going chinese anyway

well its only a matter of time. besides pakistan is going chinese anyway

But not fully Chinese i would say as there is still one of the strings of relations attached like F-16s. However, a stop this time would preferably turn into full Chinese & Eastern. God knows.

I am looking for good information/source giving the Jf-17 maximum speed BUT ALSO SPECIFYING THE ALTITUDE FOR THAT SPEED.

I.e. Is 1.6 at sea level or at some other altitude?

Thanks

I am looking for good information/source giving the Jf-17 maximum speed BUT ALSO SPECIFYING THE ALTITUDE FOR THAT SPEED.

I.e. Is 1.6 at sea level or at some other altitude?

Thanks
Most fighter jets can't go above 1.3 at sea level

Rafale:
  • High altitude: Mach 1.8 (1,912 km/h, 1,032 knots)
  • Low altitude: Mach 1.1 (1,390 km/h, 750 knots)
F-16:
  • At sea level: Mach 1.2 (915 mph, 1,470 km/h)
  • At altitude: Mach 2 (1,320 mph, 2,120 km/h) clean configuration

1.4 with payload , tops at 1.6 without
I believe that you are wrong.
Payload is not what keeps the JFT's speed down.
Its the DSI.
And please don't drop one liners, without any sources or experience or knowing the specs of the Jet.

Lets get technical shall we.
Assuming the weight is 9.1 tonnes(fully loaded)
And the thrust regarded by most indians is 84.6kN
0 degrees off the center
Makes the JF-17 T/W ratio of 0.948

Now we all know that 84.6kN is not the true thrust of the JFT
Its 97kN
So that makes its T/W ratio of 1.087

Last edited:
Block 2 has more percentage of composites that has helped in reducing overall weight,thus it boasts slightly more speed at high altitude.
Even adding a few composites cannot increase the speed from 1.6 to mach 2 unless you change the thrust to weight ration considerably and that means powering it with a new engine!

Even adding a few composites cannot increase the speed from 1.6 to mach 2 unless you change the thrust to weight ration considerably and that means powering it with a new engine!

First off the JFT's block one speed was 1.6.
JFT Block 2, with increased composites and upgrades and a slight redesign, got 1.8.
And no one is saying the the Block 2 is Mach 2.
People are saying that Block 3 will be Mach 2, perhaps the design will be tweaked again.

most important is more weapons carrying capacity of aircraft speed MAC 2 is good enough to encage any type of threat

Most fighter jets can't go above 1.3 at sea level

Rafale:
  • High altitude: Mach 1.8 (1,912 km/h, 1,032 knots)
  • Low altitude: Mach 1.1 (1,390 km/h, 750 knots)
F-16:
  • At sea level: Mach 1.2 (915 mph, 1,470 km/h)
  • At altitude: Mach 2 (1,320 mph, 2,120 km/h) clean configuration

Hi,

Even though the F16 can fly mach 2----it does not because of distortion in the canopy----.

Hi,

Even though the F16 can fly mach 2----it does not because of distortion in the canopy----.
Hello MastanKhan
This data was from the wikipedia.
Not just the distortion in the canopy, there are many other things that come down broken or damaged, but its not like the plane is gonna fall off the sky, thats highly unlikely.
Point is that it can fly past Mach 2 if needed.

Back
Top Bottom