What's new

JF-17 Fighter: China's Weird MiG-21 and F-16 Hybrid

Buddy, it wasn't and still isn't a secret. We (PAF) were the ones who contracted Grumman for the SABRE II project. We took their teams to China and we were the ones who dealt with them. What is wrong with you guys?

Here, from the horse's mouth. Do us all a favour.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=beJ8DAAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=inauthor:"A.+Siddiqa-Agha"&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwicpNOV5oDcAhUuFjQIHVO0CnkQ6AEIKTAA#v=onepage&q&f=false
https://books.google.ca/books?id=3GZaDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA16&lpg=PA16&dq=sabre+II+project&source=bl&ots=fRSAl9n7eh&sig=usK6kG_2qu9pmzGt_0wHXo1Ir5c&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiW89nZ44DcAhWlGTQIHWm5DSAQ6AEIczAN#v=onepage&q=sabre II project&f=false

And then some.

https://www.revolvy.com/main/index.php?s=Project+Sabre+II
https://www.betterworldbooks.com/product/detail/project-sabre-ii-6134600644
https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/china/j-7p.htm

The article never said that they helped in JF-17's production. The article says that the US was involved with the two precursor projects of the JF-17 (Project Sabre II and Super-7) which did then result into the JF-17. Both of these claims are fact. If the US later on did not want to help or even impeded the process it still does not nullify their previous help.

I don't even understand why you guys are so touchy on the matter.

You have no clue about history, do you? Pakistan opened the doors for Chinese/US relations. We literally took the US diplomats to China to thaw out their cold-war relationship. These relations were blossoming until the Tienanmen incident. The Chinese even bought military hardware from the US in those days. There were reports that they were even in the process of procuring F-16s.

You are clueless.

Lol. When the Sabre II project was conceived (1984) there were no embargoes, in fact we were still in the process of receiving our first order of F-16s. Please refrain from producing history out of nothing.

He likes you. Remember that fat, greasy girl from 5th grade who'd punch you because she had a crush on you? Pretty sure she never grew up.
Thank you for the little treasure trove you have attached to your post. I appreciated the read greatly.
I think it is safe to say that for the PAF it has been a Journey which has seen its evolution from the Sabre2 programme to the super 7 programme leading to the JFT/ FC1. To say that the 3 are related is true only as far as the historical aspect goes. Sure there may have been design elements of all the programmes which were incorporated but then to infer that JFT is an upgraded Mig 21 is like saying that because USA made the F104, the F16 is an upgraded F104. Designs and requirements have moved immensely since the late 80 to the 2000 and perhaps even now(something which the Chinese have also complained about as well). So the Block 2 has evolved into what block 1 was not, and block 3 will evolve further.
A side point to all this testosterone release is that this discussion could have been carried out in a more amicable manner. That is the sad aspect of the board.
A

All this article should just be taken as just that. Dont put too much faith in taking it apart word for word.

Whatever you're smoking must be really good Aunt Nancy.

JF-17 never received help from the Americans, no matter what "Aunt Nancy" thinks. Is that your alter-ego? You need serious help.
Never smoked (I'm the boring type)......plus it reduces G tolerance.

If I did, I would ask for it. I apologise if I offended you. JF-17 program received no help, and the initial flight dynamics and aerodynamics calculations were helped through American consultants. No official participation from US government.

He likes you. Remember that fat, greasy girl from 5th grade who'd punch you because she had a crush on you? Pretty sure she never grew up.
I don't recall. Boys and girls were not put together in the PAF schooling system in Class 5....

Cheers !!!

LOL a fighter which was borne out of necessity as an insurance policy against US sanctions has somehow received input from the Americans? That is like saying that the Americans undermined their own sanctions against Pakistan.

These Americans never cease to amaze. They are falling to Indian standards and that is very low.

Hi,

There is a lots of stuff that happens behind closed doors---.

Never assume that all americans are against Pakistan---.

Never smoked (I'm the boring type)......plus it reduces G tolerance.

If I did, I would ask for it. I apologise if I offended you. JF-17 program received no help, and the initial flight dynamics and aerodynamics calculations were helped through American consultants. No official participation from US government.

I don't recall. Boys and girls were not put together in the PAF schooling system in Class 5....

Cheers !!!

Hi,

Why do they have to argue with you---? With your background---there is 'fairly' a good chance that you would know a 'little' more than others---.:enjoy::enjoy::enjoy:

Hi,

There is a lots of stuff that happens behind closed doors---.

Never assume that all americans are against Pakistan---.

Hi,

Why do they have to argue with you---? With your background---there is 'fairly' a good chance that you would know a 'little' more than others---.:enjoy::enjoy::enjoy:

Unless there is some really solid proof to back up the claim that Americans have directly assisted in the JF-17 project I can simply not buy this argument.

PAF has always maintained that JF-17 was designed to counter US sanctions. That much is a given.

Remember how difficult it is for the PAF to invest in another plane apart from the F-16.

Unless there is some really solid proof to back up the claim that Americans have directly assisted in the JF-17 project I can simply not buy this argument.

PAF has always maintained that JF-17 was designed to counter US sanctions. That much is a given.

Remember how difficult it is for the PAF to invest in another plane apart from the F-16.

Hi,

Yeah---help in weapons building---and they will announce it on world wide web---yes I did it---.

Did you think that all americans wanted sanctions on the US---it was only a minority that used a certain cluase to its advantage---.

Youngman---a very poor understanding of how the system works----very very poor I would say again---.

Hi I hope in near future we will read or may be revealed by some inside man job kind of thing
USA help out Pakistan to secure the nuclear umbrella against India
Hopefully this will also come out soon or somebody will write on their behalf
Thank you

LOL what a BS article.

America has zero input in the JF-17 project. If anything the Americans are on the record in opposing this project between China and Pakistan.

Historically correct article as Grumman was involved with project until Tianenmen Square. It was not going to come back into project after Pressler amendment kicked in.

Hi I hope in near future we will read or may be revealed by some inside man job kind of thing
USA help out Pakistan to secure the nuclear umbrella against India
Hopefully this will also come out soon or somebody will write on their behalf
Thank you

Hi,

We already know that---. Those in position to do something---looked the other way for as long as they could---.

Where do you think those PhD's in nuclear physics got their education and training from---USA---cxanada---France---Germany---Holland---UK---.

How about the jobs that they had abroad---did the employer not know where that training was headed---.

Sometimes we don't see what is staring at us right in front of our faces---the F16---.

Does anyone not think that there is any influence of this aircraft on the JF17 design---!!!

Is US F-35 based on JF-17

stock-photo-outline-drawing-of-military-aircraft-on-white-background-top-side-front-views-fighter-jet-621269927.jpg

plaaf-chengdu-jf-17-thunder.png

Thank you for the little treasure trove you have attached to your post. I appreciated the read greatly.
I think it is safe to say that for the PAF it has been a Journey which has seen its evolution from the Sabre2 programme to the super 7 programme leading to the JFT/ FC1. To say that the 3 are related is true only as far as the historical aspect goes. Sure there may have been design elements of all the programmes which were incorporated

And that is what is being contended for, at least on my part. Apparently, for some of us, it can't be because they can't "see it". Doesn't matter what the people involved in the process have to say or the fact that examples of a lot more radical evolutionary iterations are present in the world. The Porsche 918 is well documented to have come from the VW Beetle but then it does not since our friends such as @ziaulislam can't "see it". Others such as @Dalit are still stuck on whether the US was involved with the SABRE II and the Super-7 projects after everyone in the world, i.e. the Pakistanis, the Chinese, the Americans have stated the same thing. He still demands proof. I believe it doesn't matter any more how it is but rather how one wants it to have been.

but then to infer that JFT is an upgraded Mig 21 is like saying that because USA made the F104, the F16 is an upgraded F104. Designs and requirements have moved immensely since the late 80 to the 2000 and perhaps even now(something which the Chinese have also complained about as well). So the Block 2 has evolved into what block 1 was not, and block 3 will evolve further.
A side point to all this testosterone release is that this discussion could have been carried out in a more amicable manner. That is the sad aspect of the board.
A

I don't think the ongoing debate is about the JF-17 being an upgraded Mig-21, none of the articles/posts posted stated anything remotely as such. That would be ludicrous.

The argument at first was about the US' involvement with the SABRE II and Super-7 projects. Now, apparently, it's about whether the SABRE II and Super-7 projects grandfathered the JF-17 project or not.

Cheers !!!

Well, now you know what its like.

thanks for posting something that has been posted repeatedly,

No it wasn't. I mashed those pictures together myself.

as you can see there is absolutely no resembles between saber 2 and jf-17...jf-17 is externally more similar to f-16 and f-18 rather than the saber 2..
but saber 2 looks very similar to mig21, which it was actually before USA walked away

That is exactly what evolution is. That is how it works.

payload, role, engine specification nothing matches or even closely resemble

Why would they? Do you understand the process of evolution? Do you understand what "being based upon" or "evolved from" or "has roots in" means?

The Porsche 918 being based on the Beetle example was ignored by you. How about these two?

F-86

F86F_Sabres_-_Chino_Airshow_2014_%28cropped%29.jpg

F-100
F-100_Rogers_Dry_Lake.jpg

or these two,

T-90,

Indian_Army_T-90.jpg

T-72,

ParkPatriot2015part2-19.jpg

After you're done reasoning whether "you see it or not" please compare the specifications in both these examples as well.

as i said before may be j-10 comes from lavi with similar design and engine though enlarged but arguing jf-17 comes from mig21/saber 2 is saying like camry and mazda 5 are same car, heck than just have four wheels and are sedans..

What you have to actually say isn't as important as you might think it is. Rhetoric doesn't really fly, arguments do.

Anyway, I've given you statements from people who were actually involved in the projects, examples of a lot more radical examples of evolution than the JF-17 and some that might help you understand how design evolution works. But in the end, the horse and water and what not.

Last edited:
Here is the what "Mig21" looks like.

View attachment 484081

This is how JF17 looks like:

View attachment 484082

LOL. its not even funny. even pathetic to compare the two jets from different era and league.

JF17 is more of combo between f18 (front), f16 (mid to behind).
No need to waste energy on fools. Let them believe what they want to believe, doesn't change a thing for JF-17 Thunder project. Better ask them to enlighten us about what specifics are shared between JF-17 Thunder and Mig 21 and let them put their brain at work.
Here is how you need to deal with spammers :D enjoy!

No need to waste energy on fools. Let them believe what they want to believe, doesn't change a thing for JF-17 Thunder project. Better ask them to enlighten us about what specifics are shared between JF-17 Thunder and Mig 21 and let them put their brain at work.
Here is how you need to deal with spammers :D enjoy!

:D

They are relentless in their ignorance and jealousy, we have to be relentless in sorting them out.

Back
Top Bottom