What's new

Japanese Airforce versus Chinese Airforce

Which Airforce will be victorious?

• Japan's

• China's

Results are only viewable after voting.
@atatwolf what's wrong between you and China? Why do you try to bash them in every thread you start?

Japan is a pacifist country for years by it's constitution. Japan's military budget is relatively tiny compared to it's GDP (around 0.7% as far as I remember). Japan did not involve any war after WW2. Only objective of Japanese military is to look intimidating against it's neighbours. However China is aiming to be comparable with US. China also proved itself in the last decade that it can rapidly transform itself to a high tech economy. Adopting new technologies is easy for both it's military and it's private sector.

Japan has the qualitative edge that's for sure being on the top of the value addition chain in the industry. It's industrial know how can be easily transformed into a vast military industrial complex and combined with bushido culture it will be a toxic mixture for it's enemies. But -and that's a big but- Japan has no intention like that.

However there is no point in this discussion. Both countries have different aims. Japan tries to protect it's dignity while negotiating with it's neighbours. But China aims for becoming a global power. Constructive threads that aims Japanese and Chinese friendship would be much suitable IMHO.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm not bashing China. I just made a fact sheet and started a poll. There are other threads on PDF comparing air forces of countries. If you don't like the fact sheet I made. You can make your own fact sheet and post it here. I'm interested in the East-Asia disputes so I'm entitled to have interests and do my research.

Japan won't be getting F-35 till after 2020. Even the US air force won't be getting F-35 will 2017 at the earliest. J-20 last prototype 2016 flies this year and serial production starts next year.
By 2017 Japan's F-35 will be battle ready. By this time J-20 and J-31 (F-35 copies) won't be battle ready since it is missing most of the subsystems that the F-35 has. Also these planes have major flaws with staying off-radar. J-31 is known for releasing to much smoke making it too detectable.
Why would we want to 'exterminate' any country ?

Very well said @Lure ! While I can understand our brother @atatwolf 's passion and drive, right now, its best to understand the geopolicy of the region. Both Japan and China do not aim for conflict, but rather, are participating in international processes to secure trade and resources, but to help in minimizing instability by contributing humanitarian aid, sharing the burden in fleet convoy support et al.

Japan has no plans in becoming a 'super power' , but merely maintaining stability in our effective region and also contributing military aid to our allies -- if it needs to -- and when our national strategic interests are threatened. Right now, as it stands, China and Japan's interests overlap -- be it in economics (greatly so, as our combined bilateral trade is now close to $400 Billion per annum), politics, to energy and environmental security.

In respect of Chinese-Japanese friendship, I must abstain from voting.
I don't think comparing Japan's and China's air forces will destroy current relations because it is a defence forum here. There are threads on PDF comparing China''s air force to Israeli air force. I don't think their relations got ruined after that. Either way, interesting stuff happening in Japan. Constitution is changing and Japan is building up its armies again. There is nothing wrong with that because everybody knows Japan is pacifist country but will strike if its safety and trading routes are threatened. It is self-defensive measures. Not aggressive expansionist like other actors in the region. Japan is acting from precaution and that is why I like about them. They are also helping their allies in the region which I support.

Last edited:
I vote for the 3rd option:

Xinjiang will never be "East Turkestan" and Uighurs will live with their Han brothers in China. Forever. Atatwolf will continue to pay lip service to "freeing" his Uighur fellows while never doing anything besides trolling PDF because he's too scared. :agree:

Edit: And even if the PLAAF were composed purely of WW2 era propeller planes, that would still be more than enough to bomb Uighur terrorists to hell. :rofl: @atatwolf

Last edited:
By 2017 Japan's F-35 will be battle ready. By this time J-20 and J-31 (F-35 copies) won't be battle ready since it is missing most of the subsystems that the F-35 has. Also these planes have major flaws with staying off-radar. J-31 is known for releasing to much smoke making it too detectable.

We shall see. J-20 has 1 more proto left before serial production.

Lets see how many projects China is running for its navy and air force..............
J10b
J11b
J13
J15
J20
J31
too many ''J'' series air craft
and some times I wonder Chinese make the ''copy'' of Japanese Shin SHin too and name it like J40 or what ever........ But definitely PLAAF is improving and improving very fast........... and even if Japan will get few (42) F35s no prominant difference will be made.
Right now here are the plans for 2020 by PLAAF
76 Su27
100 Su30 MKK
200 J10b
210 J11b
and I am not sure about Su35 deals but it will add huge boast if added........ Japanese rely too much in USA and this is the weak point

I didn't choose neither one of them since both countries are freind to us.

But any way it's interesting thread.

I don't imagine any conflict between the two nations they are wise enough to go to war where the destruction of both countries inevitable.

If they are controled by sick person like erdogan who support terrorism for a dream of ressurecting ottoman empire! yes they may go to war but luckily for them they are not controlled by that kind of mentality.

i reckon that a gorilla would thrash a pack of of Atatwolves.

A gorilla vs black bear - gorilla will win.

Gorilla vs lion - gorilla will win (grab mane and hurl into air)

Gorilla vs tiger - gorilla will win (grab balls till it dies)

Gorilla vs 2 bengal tigers - gorilla...

wait, what are we talking about?

I don't know but I want to see the rest of your "gorilla v random animal" battle list. :lol:

Why would we want to 'exterminate' any country ?

Very well said @Lure ! While I can understand our brother @atatwolf 's passion and drive, right now, its best to understand the geopolicy of the region. Both Japan and China do not aim for conflict, but rather, are participating in international processes to secure trade and resources, but to help in minimizing instability by contributing humanitarian aid, sharing the burden in fleet convoy support et al.

Japan has no plans in becoming a 'super power' , but merely maintaining stability in our effective region and also contributing military aid to our allies -- if it needs to -- and when our national strategic interests are threatened. Right now, as it stands, China and Japan's interests overlap -- be it in economics (greatly so, as our combined bilateral trade is now close to $400 Billion per annum), politics, to energy and environmental security.

In respect of Chinese-Japanese friendship, I must abstain from voting.

Definitely true and one more thing. Economic relations of Japan and China today complement each other. There is not much direct competition, more of a cooperation. Unlike South Korea or Taiwan which Chinese companies start to make fierce competition with them in the key national economic sectors that they have.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm not bashing China. I just made a fact sheet and started a poll. There are other threads on PDF comparing air forces of countries. If you don't like the fact sheet I made. You can make your own fact sheet and post it here. I'm interested in the East-Asia disputes so I'm entitled to have interests and do my research.

Fair enough.
However "Who has a better airforce" and who will win in a "sustained and full fledged air conflict" are two different questions. If i were to pick then Japan for former and China the latter. China will simply overwhelm the Japs with numbers. But if its a short burst of hostility in air; Japan holds the edge.

This some kind of joke?

While the Japanese navy and ground force is mostly up to date with the latest technologies the Japanese air force has remained almost completely un-upgraded since the 90s in terms of fighter aircraft.

The japanese air force is composed of only around 300 4th gen fighters of which 213 are F15Js which have been untouched since 1981. A whopping 10 of them are planned to be modernised. This is what happens when you have a country thats incapable of truly making a modern fighter jet by itself. This aircraft would have trouble vs a upgraded j 8 not to mention anything remotely 4th gen in the Chinese inventory

The other 82 are F 2s which are basically enlarged f16s which cost a whopping 127 million per copy. It had the worlds first fighter born AESA radar but at first it could only scan 20 kms in front of it due to poor quality . Whether its much better today is questionable but comparitively the are something between a F16 A/B and F16 C/D in performance which puts them only around the level of early J10 variants.

The Chinese Airforce operates around 300 Flankers which compose of around 70 un-upgraded su27ubks, 165 modern J11As and J11Bs, and 24 4.5 Gen J16s.

It also operates over 250 J10 variants of which the the latest J10B has just been inducted which is more capable than anything the Japanese have.

Another 100 mixed 4th gen jets are in the Chinese naval branch including SU 30MK2s ,and J 10As.

Only around 70 4th gen jets in the Chinese inventory is over 15 years old which are the SU 27UBKs.

So in conclusion of the 300 combat jets in the Japanese inventory only around 82 are comparable the 550 modern 4th gen jets that the PLAAF has. The japanese airforce also does not produce any new 4 gen jets while the PLAAF produces around 3 squdrons around 72 jets every year.

This one makes better sense than the IAF vs PLAAF one. If not for the restrictions and containment from the U.S. , Japan would have a formidable armed force. Even with these restrictions, their Air Force is still one of the strongest in the world, far better than e.g. Indian Air Force.

Eh no the Indian air force is stronger than the Japanese airforce as well.
Don't just judge the strength on the paper. It means nothing. Look at the broader picture. Or simply you can compare Mitsubishi with HAL.

Strength on paper is the only thing you can judge objectively. Otherwise we would be talking about what ifs and i hate those kind of discussions.

Most Importantly Japan does not has DSI :p:

I sure do love the one liners that have no real value to them. Maybe make a real response that has anything constuctive to the thread instead of the drivel with emoticons eh

Seriously ???
Same as above

Back
Top Bottom