What's new

Japan to Build Modern Mass Transit System in Karachi

Pakistan getting Japan's help and is China's close ally. How is China taking Pakistan-Japan relations? And I am surprised Pakistan did not take China's help in trains?

Pakistan getting Japan's help and is China's close ally. How is China taking Pakistan-Japan relations? And I am surprised Pakistan did not take China's help in trains?
What? Are we getting nuclear capable train to hit china with 50Kt japani malfunctioned crap bomb ....:undecided::undecided:

BB, look the price of metro train project. More than 100 Lahore type metro bus project is possible in this price. BB, do some calculation.

We karachiites don't need those cr@ppy buses. We want and deserve the metro train project.

karachi is kachra ... i hate karachi ... horrific trafuck jamn all the time :sarcastic:

Good. Then never come here.

What, if Metro buses are crappy then what about buses of Karachi..... .:confused::confused:
Anyway, best of luck for metro train. ;)

They are cr@ppier. Anyways you can be happy with the metro buses. We being the largest and the only true metropolitan city of Pakistan deserve metro trains like these one.

They are cr@ppier. Anyways you can be happy with the metro buses. We being the largest and the only true metropolitan city of Pakistan deserve metro trains like these one.
I hope that during daily strikes of MQM, they will not do aerial firing and stop metro train and track .
Unions of MQM, they will do anything for their call.
Japan is well experienced in train sectors. I hope that they will complete this project in time. No doubt, Quality is inevitable. We should provide enough security for Japanese engineer.

I hope that during daily strikes of MQM, they will not do aerial firing and stop metro train and track .
Unions of MQM, they will do anything for their call.

Japan is well experienced in train sectors. I hope that they will complete this project in time. No doubt, Quality is inevitable. We should provide enough security for Japanese engineer.

You have some MQM phobia or what?

Every loan that comes from Japan comes with conditions and biggest conditions is that atleast 30-50% of the project equipment must be sourced from Japanese companies. I think Japan would bag this project. Good for Karachites. City needs this metro more than anything else right now.

If Japan is willing to take the contract than it is better for Pakistan to give it in toto. Its like building a house: 1) you can buy all the material and then hire workers who would build it on daily bases.
2) Hire a construction firm, they would ask you some questions and arrange all the requirements within the specified time frame and also give warranty at the end.

As you mentioned 30-50% of japanese companies equipment would be required, in my opinion if it was 100% as long as after sales services and training were part of the contract would still be a win win situation for both.

Is it even feasible? How much is the ticket going to be? 300 Rs? Why can't they just build a system like we have in Lahore. Its cheaper and low on maintenance. If you want to maintain these metro trains, you have to bring tools and engineers from abroad, also, you have to set up a maintenance facility. THough I would love to see a metro train, I just think its not realistic unless the ticket price is told without subsidy

The question regarding the price of the ticket is concerned normally depends on the time the project is supposed to operate. In this case atleast 40 years, now it will be calculated with the number of seats per day that are being offered divided by the expenses plus seats sold.

In the second part why not a metro bus system like Lahore.
1) Karachi's topography is different then Lahore.
2) Roads are not as wide as Lahore.
3) If we do build multiple layers of roads over the existing network they would still face another legal suit which would require that the height of the bridges do not exceed the Civil Aviation height limitations as Karachi host 3 Airports where the air traffic is far more than Lahore. (I know that Lahore hosts 2 airports Allama Iqbal International and Walton)

Bus is cheaper initially but expensive later as the amount of mechanical issues increase due to accidents and daily usage. Trains on the other hand are expensive at the start but maintenance is cheaper because of stringent checks and lesser accidents.

Pakistan is a trusted friend of China and Japan so it is trying not to take sides on the China-Japan relations. As far as Pakistan asking for trains from China is concerned China is revamping Pakistan's national railway system. On the other hand Japan is going to provide city wise rail system. This way the time required to get both the projects completed would be reduced.

Rawalpindi voted for Imran Khan and sheikh Rashid but still government is starting metro bus project in Rawalpindi. BB, why don't you open mind and use your brain instead of political rant? :confused::confused:

It is not who you have voted for period. Rawalpindi is very small in comparison to Lahore and Karachi. People of Rawalpindi were happy when Waran used to serve. Now there are some new areas and roads constructed still it is not as congested as Lahore. Major routes that are needed in Rawalpindi are from Faizabad to Islamabad. Faizabad to Saddar & katchari. Gt road toll to Moterway toll.

You have some MQM phobia or what?
MQM is a terrorist and bhatta khor party, that's why i said about security of Japanese engineer. Anyway, we should not derail this thread....don't ask questions to derail this thread ..... Thank you .

Is it even feasible? How much is the ticket going to be? 300 Rs? Why can't they just build a system like we have in Lahore. Its cheaper and low on maintenance. If you want to maintain these metro trains, you have to bring tools and engineers from abroad, also, you have to set up a maintenance facility. THough I would love to see a metro train, I just think its not realistic unless the ticket price is told without subsidy
I don't know how ticket is less than metro bus ... Whole project costs 2.5 billion dollar. For stop to stop, 20 Rs fare or even 30 rupees is not possible... This project is not for students but may be very good for businessmen and middle class families.

This "help" is a business relationship in which both benefit.

Japan's commercial interest in Pakistan has recently been validated by JETRO survey of Japanese companies doing business in the country. It indicated that Japanese companies have "strong intentions to expand their business for the reasons of “sales increase” and “high growth potential.” in Pakistan. Clearly, the Japanese see significant future potential in Pakistan to increase their economic footprint in the emerging growth market.

Haq's Musings: Japan Multinationals Rank Pakistan Among Top Growth Markets

I don't know how ticket is less than metro bus ... Whole project costs 2.5 billion dollar. For stop to stop, 20 Rs fare or even 30 rupees is not possible... This project is not for students but may be very good for businessmen and middle class families.

Without high quality feeder buses connecting the station to nearby areas, businessmen and middle-class families will not use this.

@RiazHaq - Any idea what the timeline for this is after the bidding process?

Heard Nawaz Sharif's meeting with Japanese counterpart was fruitful...

The loan would be almost be a grant as Pakistan is supposed to return it in 40 years after a grace period of 10 years with a negligible interest rate.

Work could be started as soon as August or September this year and would be completed by 2019

Without high quality feeder buses connecting the station to nearby areas, businessmen and middle-class families will not use this.

A BRT Project is also in the Pipeline. Shahbaz Sharif is pushing it but at the end of the day, PPP regime will give final decisions.

@RiazHaq - Any idea what the timeline for this is after the bidding process?

Asian Development Bank is ready to finance a Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system in Karachi.

Timeline is anyone's guess but the reports indicate Govt of Sindh has already started to remove squatters from the KCR track to start construction. There are plans to resettle them.

Back
Top Bottom