What's new

Japan Just Held A First-Of-Its-Kind Live Fire Exercise On Mount Fuji [PHOTOS]

Aepsilons

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Japan
In the shadow of rising tensions in the East China Sea, Japan is holding live fire exercise in the foothills of Mount Fuji until Sunday. Japan has held annual military exercises aimed at protecting its northern territories along its maritime frontier with Russia, although present realities have led to Japan shifting its priorities to island defense.

The exercises, called Fire Power, are aimed at defending outlying Japanese islands from a hypothetical invasion. Fire Power is a first-of-its-kind exercise and follows new national defense guidelines.

The exercise included battle tanks, helicopters, and elite soldiers displaying tactics that could be used if Japan needs to defend, or retake, its island territory in the East China Sea. Altogether, the exerciseincluded 2,300 troops, 20 aircraft, and 80 tanks and other armored vehicles.

Tensions have been steadily increasing in East Asia as China has flexed its muscle, laying claim to places like the Senkaku Islands, which Japan currently views as sovereign territory. The strained relationship between the nations has raised the specter of modern-day great power conflict, and led to direct military competition between Japan and China.

We have included some of the most striking images from the Japanese military exercise below.

In the decades after World War II, the Japanese military played a small role within the country.

ap606829217939.jpg

rtr42vzn.jpg

rtr42w3b.jpg

rtr42xx2.jpg

ap414863415841.jpg

rtr42w4v.jpg

rtr42w71.jpg

ewr4eew.jpg

6_zps04d954b6.jpg

2342343.jpg

The Emperor's Imperial Guard, surprisingly, took part in the exercise:

800_lnw1ltemxrdk2tdspi8gdbj727oksxsz.jpg

These are the elite of the elite, and are responsible for the protection of the Imperial Family, the Japanese Prime Minister, and all key members of the Japanese Government. Including governors, Ministers et al.

These are the elite of the elite, and are responsible for the protection of the Imperial Family, the Japanese Prime Minister, and all key members of the Japanese Government. Including governors, Ministers et al.

what does their participation signify?

and elite in what sense ? sofs like navy seals ?

mozaheb20130113171310533.jpg

6932df9aad992515fb084801879e333b922d3864.jpg

16819625.JPG

17527465.JPG

800px-thumbnail.jpg

japan_military_exercise_ksx101.jpg

japan.jpg

what does their participation signify?

They are the personal body guard of The Emperor, Himself. Their participation indicates The Emperor's personal approval of the military exercises.

The are chosen from the best of all 3 branches of the SDF. Their devotion and loyalty to the Emperor is unquestionable.

These are the closest you can get to seeing the Imperial Soldiers of the olden days, who would die without hesitation for the Emperor.

GOTEMBA, Japan — Japan's military showcased its ability to defend remote islands Tuesday, as its role expands at home and abroad under new defense policies instituted by Prime Minister Shinzo Abe that have divided the nation.

The military began large-scale annual "Fire Power" exercises at the foot of Mount Fuji aimed at repelling a hypothetical invasion of far-off Japanese islands, defense officials said.

Lt. Kunikazu Takahashi, spokesman for Japan Ground Self-Defense Force, said the exercises, which last until Sunday, follow new defense guidelines that emphasize island defense.

The defense plans, approved in December, reflect a shift in Japan's defense priorities from its northern reaches near Russia to the East China Sea, where Tokyo and Beijing are locked in a dispute over a chain of uninhabited islands. Under the guidelines, Japan is setting up an amphibious unit similar to the U.S. Marines to respond quickly to any invasion of those islands.

"We believe such arrangements can discourage any foreign invasion," Takahashi said in an interview during the exercise. "It would be best if we can defend our land without fighting."

Abe's Cabinet approved in July a reinterpretation of Japan's war-renouncing constitution, which was drafted under U.S. direction after World War II, to allow the military to defend foreign countries. The endorsement of what is known as the right to collective self-defense has sharply divided public opinion, mainly due to sensitivity over Japan's wartime past.

Air force veteran Toshiya Hamada, 80, welcomed the decision. "It doesn't mean we want to wage war, but we need to gain strength because we don't want to go to war," he said. "I know soldiers feel most strongly about that because they are the first ones to go to the front line."

But Naomi Uchida, 36, who came to see the exercise with her husband and two children, said she doesn't think Japan needs to expand its military role.

"Japan is safe as it is," she said. "I'm worried if my boy says he wants to join the army."

Fighter jets, attack helicopters and tanks, guided missile systems and artillery fired Tuesday at targets at the base of Mount Fuji, where soldiers demonstrated tactics to fight off foreign invaders.

The live-fire exercises involve 2,300 troops, 20 aircraft and 80 tanks and armored vehicles, among other equipment.

Japan military holds drill as its role expands | Deseret News

There is a soldier with glasses in the pic. Is he an officer or a regular troops?

Ah, I wonder if you can tell me what critteria your army base on to choose their soldier. I mean like in VN, we conscript young men from 18 to 25, with exception of those who go to colleges, those have work with stable income, those with physical inability (like missing an arm or leg) and pyscholocial diseases (like mad, brain damage), those with diseases and some other speacial exceptions.

There is a soldier with glasses in the pic. Is he an officer or a regular troops?

They are in ceremonial uniform, and thus explains some wearing eyeglasses. Normally, they are ordered to wear military goggles in the event the have eye glasses. Most of the Imperial Guard are trained and seasoned and chosen from amongst the 3 branches of the SDF : 1) JGSDF, 2) JMSDF and 3) JASDF. Many are junior grade officers. I happen to personally know some of associates who are in the Imperial Guard; these are fanatical men.

Ah, I wonder if you can tell me what critteria your army base on to choose their soldier. I mean like in VN, we conscript young men from 18 to 25, with exception of those who go to colleges, those have work with stable income, those with physical inability (like missing an arm or leg) and pyscholocial diseases (like mad, brain damage), those with diseases and some other speacial exceptions.

Japan does not have a conscription based military. Our Forces are All-volunteers. This is what differentiates the quality of soldiers, in my opinion.

Japan also has a policy similar to the United States' in regards to government loans for soldiers who served in the services. For example, I served in the JMSDF immediately after high school, afterwards, I then went on to do my collegiate schooling in Japan and then graduate studies here in the USA. The benefits of military service is that Japan provides academic financial aide. Besides, it provides young men to "explore the world" so to say.

As for selection criterium, applicants who want to join the military service are required to take an examination, one must pass this in order to be considered. In addition to this, one has to take intelligence scales tests, maturity tests, and also is required to pass these. In addition to this, one has to pass all the physical health requirements.

They are in ceremonial uniform, and thus explains some wearing eyeglasses. Normally, they are ordered to wear military goggles in the event the have eye glasses. Most of the Imperial Guard are trained and seasoned and chosen from amongst the 3 branches of the SDF : 1) JGSDF, 2) JMSDF and 3) JASDF. Many are junior grade officers. I happen to personally know some of associates who are in the Imperial Guard; these are fanatical men.

Japan does not have a conscription based military. Our Forces are All-volunteers. This is what differentiates the quality of soldiers, in my opinion.

Japan also has a policy similar to the United States' in regards to government loans for soldiers who served in the services. For example, I served in the JMSDF immediately after high school, afterwards, I then went on to do my collegiate schooling in Japan and then graduate studies here in the USA. The benefits of military service is that Japan provides academic financial aide. Besides, it provides young men to "explore the world" so to say.

As for selection criterium, applicants who want to join the military service are required to take an examination, one must pass this in order to be considered. In addition to this, one has to take intelligence scales tests, maturity tests, and also is required to pass these. In addition to this, one has to pass all the physical health requirements.
I just remember a ridiculous critteria in our conscript policy: the army doesn't recruit people with 1/3 of their exposed skin covered with tattoos. I want to know if JSDF has any funny critteria like that.

Back
Top Bottom