What's new

J&K assembly polls: Voters defy militants, over 70% turnout recorded so far

anything for the greater good.. even if it means less of a chance for BJP due to high turnout in the valley! Classic catch-22 situation for the separatists.... to call for a boycott or not to?
& even Pakistani analysts are realising this fact....

By that logic throughout the Indian Independence movement just because the People and the Parties involved were taking part in the Elections they had abrogated their stance on the Independence of India as opposed to maintaining it in simultaneity because the both are mutually exclusive of each other !

One voting for social and economic considerations does not override one's political stance on a disputed or contentious issue; otherwise every Independence Movement where the People initially took part in the Elections (e.g the Irish Free State) while calling for Separatism would be misconstrued to be hypocritical, opportunistic and selfish.

Honestly these are just execuses...It is not only about social and economic consideration..The good part is they did not listen to those separatist who has asked for boycott....The voting % would not have an issue if Hurriyat has not issues a boycott call...

Aah.. great news! Sounds like BJP is really desperate to grab power in J & K.. no wonder they are using their trump card! :woot:
Rahul Gandhi should visit more to Kashmir for BJP and its success...

By that logic throughout the Indian Independence movement just because the People and the Parties involved were taking part in the Elections they had abrogated their stance on the Independence of India as opposed to maintaining it in simultaneity because the both are mutually exclusive of each other !

One voting for social and economic considerations does not override one's political stance on a disputed or contentious issue; otherwise every Independence Movement where the People initially took part in the Elections (e.g the Irish Free State) while calling for Separatism would be misconstrued to be hypocritical, opportunistic and selfish.
Because majority of Indian people didn't boycott polls, and south Asian continent wanted autonomy, not freedom initially.

If hindu become CM of IoK then i warn hindus in foreign countries to be prepared for backclash. I my self will beat 4-5 hindus who live near me.

I love to see and really enjoyed the way you like people get frusrated and come out of this statements...Carry on...

Did you have a patent of Urdu Language?...Urdu is being spoken by more than 20 million people in India...What is wrong if we use it in our states...
The proof of IoK being Pakistani land is even hinudtva muslim killer like Modi have to write in urdu

Articel-Image.jpg

I will translate this for my hindu friends.

jammu kashmir ke badle halat
chalo chale modi ke sath

So much vote rigging in IOKashmir lol... Indian government really pulled this good even with electronic vote rigging. Shows BJP came through vote rigging and not free and fair elections
Remember It's not Pakistan, Settle your score with Nawaza first!

Did you have a patent of Urdu Language?...Urdu is being spoken by more than 20 million people in India...What is wrong if we use it in our states...

In which of your ''state'' Modi had to run ads in urdu? Kashmiris refuse to learn hindi, urdu is only language they know. Urdu is alien language for hindus because its muslim language invented by muslim invaders.

In which of your ''state'' Modi had to run ads in urdu? Kashmiris refuse to learn hindi, urdu is only language they know. Urdu is alien language for hindus because its muslim language invented by muslim invaders.

Dude...India is not Pakistan okay...We have more than 100 laguage which is spoken through out my country...There is nothing called Hindu language...Did you ever read any neutral histroy book or you read only from your religious institution...
Discuss the subject with some logical reason rather than just showing your own frustration.

A picture speaks a thousand words. And this picture from today's Dawn.com aptly symbolizes the collective finger shown to Pakistan and Pakistan backed separatists and terrorists in Kashmir by the Kashmiri people :)

54744d4d98fe0.jpg

A picture speaks a thousand words. And this picture from today's Dawn.com aptly symbolizes the collective finger shown to Pakistan and Pakistan backed separatists and terrorists in Kashmir by the Kashmiri people :)

54744d4d98fe0.jpg

Obviously Hindus or Kashmiris that have been brainwashed by the elite Brahmin govt in IOK
ImageUploadedByDefence.pk1416975911.463545.jpg

Here is what happened finally

J&K assembly election: Kashmiris reject poll boycott calls with record 71% turnout
SRINAGAR: In a strong rebuff to separatists, Kashmiris and residents of Jammu lined up in thousands outside polling booths, declaring their support for democracy and posting the highest turnout in the 15 seats that polled on Tuesday since the last delimitation in 1995.

The turnout of 71.3% was much higher than in 2008 when the same seats had polled 65%. The seats had registered 52.6% voting in the Lok Sabha polls earlier this year. Some seats in the valley recorded more votes than Jammu and Ladakh . A heavy 75% turnout was recorded in three Bandipora constituencies in north Kashmir.

Describing the elections as "flawless", deputy election commissioner Vinod Zutshi said there wasn't a single "vitiating" incident save minor clashes. He attributed the turnout to "the combined efforts of everyone".

Hailing successful polling in 15 seats of Jammu & Kashmir, deputy election commissioner Vinod Zutshi said there were no untoward incidents. "There were a few incidents of bursting of fire crackers in Bandipora, nothing else," he said.

Zutshi attributed the high turnout to "the combined efforts of everyone, along with good security and voter awareness efforts of the Election Commission". There were at least 43 chopper sorties to airlift personnel and security to remote areas, Zutshi said. Voter enthusiasm was best showcased when a centenarian, Noor Bin, voted in Ramban, he said.

45277010.jpg

Voters wait in a long queue during first phase of assembly elections at a polling station at Sumbal in Bandipora district on Tuesday. (PTI photo)

Independent sources, however, said an explosive went off minutes after voting began at a polling station in Bandipora. Another blast was reported at Naidkhi in Sonawari, north Kashmir, with eyewitnesses saying it was a petrol bomb thrown by miscreants to scare away voters. But that did not deter them, they said.

The sense in some quarters that the Omar government would get washed away in the elections because of mishandling of September floods gained traction as the turnout rose through the day.

Kashmiri separatists said the turnout was a result of large security presence but political analysts believed they were soft on election boycott given BJP's presence, particularly in the Valley. Rejecting this, hardliner Syed Ali Geelani said, "The government conducted these elections on the strength of security forces," adding that the police had said they would crush anybody trying to disrupt polling and they proved it.

45277021.jpg

A youth carries his grandmother after casting vote for assembly elections at a polling station in Bandipora district. (PTI photo)

However, 88-year-old Sanaullah Dar of Theru village in Ganderbal said, "We consciously chose to remain with India in 1947. Voting is our right and I voted for my candidate and so did my family."

There was perceptible anti-incumbency mood with many voters angry about the floods and the general drift in the Omar Abdullah government which, voters said, also failed to generate employment and growth.

Twenty-year-old Altaf Ahmed of Kangan said, "I am not scared of militants or separatists. I am not bothered by their boycott calls. I am disgusted with joblessness and I voted for employment."

45277030.jpg

Women queue up to cast their votes at a polling station in Kargil. (PTI photo)

Saying she was satisfied with a peaceful first round, PDP president Mehbooba Mufti said the trends showed an overwhelming desire for change with PDP emerging as the favourite across Jammu, Kashmir and Ladakh. "The people are participating in this election to write a new script in the state's political history and the trends show they are enthusiastically voting for change," Mehbooba told an election rally in Langate.

"I also appreciate the EC and the administration for the smooth conduct of the first phase," Mehbooba said, adding that such turnout would not only vote out the "anarchist NC-Congress coalition" but also keep divisive forces at bay. "On behalf of the party leadership, I assure the people that we won't let them down and do justice with their mandate," Mehbooba said, adding that the voting pattern also showed that new age voters voted for real issues.

J&K assembly election: Kashmiris reject poll boycott calls with record 71% turnout - The Times of India

Back
Top Bottom