What's new

Italy marines will not return to India: Foreign Ministry

Guynextdoor2

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME JUST WTF THESE IDIOTS WERE ALLOWED TO GO BACK TO ITALY?

ROME: Two Italian marines charged in India with killing two fishermen while on anti-piracy duty will not return from a special home visit granted to allow them to vote in last month's general election, the Italian foreign ministry said on Monday.

The ministry said that India had not responded to Italian requests to seek a diplomatic solution to the case and there was now a formal dispute between the two countries over the terms of the United Nations Convention of the Law of the Sea.

"Italy has informed the Indian government that, given the formal initiation of an international dispute between the two states, the marines Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone will not return to India at the end of their home leave."

The Supreme Court last month allowed the two Italian marines to return home to vote in a parliamentary election.

The sailors, members of a military security team protecting a cargo ship from pirate attacks, are accused of shooting the fishermen they say they mistook for pirates off the southern state of Kerala in February 2012, sparking a diplomatic row between New Delhi and Rome.

"The judges were sympathetic to the marines' request to exercise their democratic right of casting their votes," in the Feb. 24-25 poll, Diljeet Titus, one of the lawyers representing the Italians, told Reuters.

In January, the Supreme Court said in a long-awaited ruling that India had jurisdiction to try marines Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone, setting the stage for a criminal trial that could further sour ties between India and Italy.

Italy had challenged India's right to try the two, arguing that the shooting had taken place in international waters. "It is a very positive development and I feel great satisfaction," Italian Foreign Minister Giulio Terzi said in a statement.

"It allows our two boys to exercise their right to vote and to spend four weeks with their family in Italy, and the decision confirms a spirit of trust and cooperation with the Indian authorities that gives us hope for a positive outcome."

The Italians spent Christmas in Italy, after a Kerala court allowed them to join their families for the holiday, on condition they returned to India by Jan. 10, which they did.

The marines were held at the Italian embassy in New Delhi and used to report to a police station once a week.

Because India is an Italian colony ruled by an Italian governor!

W5BY.jpg

Seriously what can India do against the most weakest and screwed up country of Europe?

W5BY.jpg

Seriously what can India do against the most weakest and screwed up country of Europe?

Let's see how it pans out, it seems there will be a long drawn diplomatic row because of this.

W5BY.jpg

Oh she'd BETTER get them back, else the fate of the Congress will be worse than that of the Italian Economy.

I think a deal has been reached by the CBI team in Italy with Italian officials to stop the investigations into the helicopter bribe deal............ in exchange - the 2 Italian marines gets away....... :D

Let's see how it pans out, it seems there will be a long drawn diplomatic row because of this.

No- no more tolerance. pain their businessmen visiting here, put their shipping docked without permission to leave for months, make it EXTRREEEMEEELYYYY expensive for them.

No- no more tolerance. pain their businessmen visiting here, put their shipping docked without permission to leave for months, make it EXTRREEEMEEELYYYY expensive for them.

I see you are angry - knee jerk reactions have adverse affects, let's see what New Delhi does - it's not over till it's over.

Oh she'd BETTER get them back, else the fate of the Congress will be worse than that of the Italian Economy.

Who cares man.......do u think the congress will not get votes bcoz of this...... :lol:

I bet u that 98% of ppl doesn't even know of this case of killing Indian fisherman....let alone the absconding.

I see you are angry - knee jerk reactions have adverse affects, let's see what New Delhi does - it's not over till it's over.

No- this is different dude. This is not like the usual Congress/ BJP stuff- we've known the sort of stuff the italians have tried- bring the church inside, try to give 'indemnity' to the families and wiggle out. And yet we let such a situation arise. they dare defy the SUPREME COURT??? If the government doesn't teahc them a strict and harsh lesson, it doesn't deserve to be in power. I WILL swiitch over to the other side if this is not resolved in our favor.

It's over man.....terms have been agreed...an unofficial settlement reached....... :D

If u r old enough....I'll ask u to remember past such incidents where foreign accused escaped the country.....and if u r not....I'll suggest u to ask ur dad.... ;)

It's over man.....terms have been agreed...an unofficial settlement reached....... :D

If u r old enough....I'll ask u to remember past such incidents where foreign accused escaped the country.....and if u r not....I'll suggest u to ask ur dad.... ;)

I am old enough.

The Italian mafia intimidated India and India folded.

about today's meet with Italian Ambassador..

Government of India states firmly that it does not agree with the position conveyed by the Italian Government on the return of the two Marines to India. The Italian Ambassador was summoned by the Foreign Secretary today and Government of India's position on this matter was conveyed to him in the strongest of terms. It was conveyed to him that India expects Republic of Italy as a country that is committed to the rule of law to fulfil the sovereign undertaking given by it to the Supreme Court of India. It was only following this undertaking that the Supreme Court allowed the two Marines to travel to and remain in Italy for a period of four weeks and return to India under the care, supervision and control of the Italian Republic. It was conveyed to the Italian Ambassador that the Italian Government was obliged to ensure their return to India within the stipulated period as per the terms of the Supreme Court Order.

Italy obliged to ensure marines return as per their assurance: Foreign Secretary tells Italy envoy | NDTV.com

another report...

India demands marines be sent back, says Italy should 'honour commitment made to SC' - India - IBNLive

Back
Top Bottom