What's new

Islamic scholar attacks Pakistan's blasphemy laws

A law being abused by people who think they are above God and can be judge jury and executioner is not one that we need in our law books

My own view

Many will agree and many will disagree.

A simple common sense will tell you what is right and what is wrong in those circumstances, Like jailing a mentally ill christian girl(accused by by an old Pervert :angry:).

People and Govt blindly followed this law in the name of religion.

To tell you Blasphemy Law was started by British not by any Islamic Caliphate or any one related to Islam in British India.

People are blinded in the recent Blasphemy accused cases and failed to judge based on their common senses. Humanity is the first thing that should come in mind rather than some misinterpreted laws, which is not a rocket science to understand.

To my thinking the problem with this law is the law itself - it is enemy seeking and enemy making -- why is it even necessary?? See, as much as there are people who are thinking of Pakistan as some sort of exclusive polity, then these people have a problem with reality - it is a multi denominational, multi-ethnic, country -- that is to say that it is a home for an who would make it their home - so why seek enemies why make enemies?? to serve what purpose other thato make trouble and to demand an exclusive polity?

To my thinking the problem with this law is the law itself - it is enemy seeking and enemy making -- why is it even necessary?? See, as much as there are people who are thinking of Pakistan as some sort of exclusive polity, then these people have a problem with reality - it is a multi demoniational, multi-ethnic, country -- that is to say that it is a home for an who would make it their home - so why seek enemies why make enemies?? to serve what purpose other thato make trouble and to demand an exclusive polity?

"It is a multi demoniational, multi-ethnic, country". Well, that certainly explains a lot. Pakistan currently does have many demons to exorcise.

I dont get it- problem is with the blasphemy laws or the misuse of it?-

Oh please mate! The premise of this law was that it's some sort of "divine-islamic-commandment".... why are you deflecting the main point here? When prominent scholars are saying that the justification itself was wrong for the law, then doesn't it need to be repealed?

It's an archaic law, made by the bedouins for the bedouins of a bygone era. What is happening right now is that we are regressing back to "Bedouistan" thanks to it. Don't blame it's implementation by the masses... If you can't impose simple laws in a lawless country for decades, then why not be done with it?

I have heard hundreds of styles of deflection, yours was not that unique.

A law being abused by people who think they are above God and can be judge jury and executioner is not one that we need in our law books

My own view

Many will agree and many will disagree.

Oh please mate! The premise of this law was that it's some sort of "divine-islamic-commandment".... why are you deflecting the main point here? When prominent scholars are saying that the justification itself was wrong for the law, then doesn't it need to be repealed?

It's an archaic law, made by the bedouins for the bedouins of a bygone era. What is happening right now is that we are regressing back to "Bedouistan" thanks to it. Don't blame it's implementation by the masses... If you can't impose simple laws in a lawless country for decades, then why not be done with it?

You know such bedioun law is also practiced by a very modern model society- Israel

In Israel, blasphemy is covered by Articles 170 and 173 of the penal code.[29][30]
Insult to religion
170. If a person destroys, damages or desecrates a place of worship or any object which is held sacred by a group of persons, with the intention of reviling their religion, or in the knowledge that they are liable to deem that act an insult to their religion, then the one is liable to three years imprisonment.
Injury to religious sentiment
173. If a person does any of the following, then the one is liable to one year imprisonment:
(1) One publishes a publication that is liable to crudely offend the religious faith or sentiment of others;
(2) One voices in a public place and in the hearing of another person any word or sound that is liable to crudely offend the religious faith or sentiment of others.

Only difference is they dont misuse or take unfair advantage of that law-
So i will reiterate- the problem lies with the implementation not the law itself-

Its not just deflection yaara, its symbolic of the fact that for many it is nigh impossible to separate religious tenets from the law. I never understood what the problem is to begin with, an obviously discriminatory law which makes it punishable for a certain class of citizens to criticize a religion with an unlimited scope of abuse- the solution should already be evident to the judiciary and the masses. People are going to have to chose as to whether they want to regress back to the times of our bedouin cousins or whether they want to march into the current age.

Its not just deflection yaara, its symbolic of the fact that for many it is nigh impossible to separate religious tenets from the law. I never understood what the problem is to begin with, an obviously discriminatory law which makes it punishable for a certain class of citizens to criticize a religion with an unlimited scope of abuse- the solution should already be evident to the judiciary and the masses. People are going to have to chose as to whether they want to regress back to the times of our bedouin cousins or whether they want to march into the current age.

well i do not know how much you know about islamic law but just to make it clear that it is very impossible to de-link law and islam in an islamic country unless you simply get rid of islam and become totally secular. islam or any abrahamic religion have laws which are both personal and communal in nature. while state intervention in the personal laws can be decried, it is necessary for the state to devise laws in a way which does not contradict islamic communal laws at the very least.

Now there are only two major scenarios which create problem and we can find an example of each in the muslim world. In the first case, it is the state intervening in the laws governing personal religious obligations eg. Saudia etc. Second case is when individuals intervene in the laws governing communal conduct eg. Pakistan.

In short, if you separate religious tenants (which include communal laws as well) from the national law, it simply means turning your country into a secular one. I hope you can now see the impossibility of this in an islamic republic.

Stupid fellow , look like he forget Salman Taseer and Taseer's son...

Stupid fellow , look like he forget Salman Taseer and Taseer's son...

Back
Top Bottom