What's new

Islam outgrows Catholicism

asaad-ul-islam

Reaction score
Muslims more numerous than Catholics
By ALESSANDRA RIZZO, Associated Press Writer

VATICAN CITY - Islam has surpassed Roman Catholicism as the world's largest religion, the Vatican newspaper said Sunday.

"For the first time in history, we are no longer at the top: Muslims have overtaken us," Monsignor Vittorio Formenti said in an interview with the Vatican newspaper L'Osservatore Romano. Formenti compiles the Vatican's yearbook.

He said that Catholics accounted for 17.4 percent of the world population — a stable percentage — while Muslims were at 19.2 percent.

"It is true that while Muslim families, as is well known, continue to make a lot of children, Christian ones on the contrary tend to have fewer and fewer," the monsignor said.

Formenti said that the data refer to 2006. The figures on Muslims were put together by Muslim countries and then provided to the United Nations, he said, adding that the Vatican could only vouch for its own data.

When considering all Christians and not just Catholics, Christians make up 33 percent of the world population, Formenti said.

Spokesmen for the Vatican and the United Nations did not immediately return phone calls seeking comment Sunday.

Muslims more numerous than Catholics - Yahoo! News

Islam will only continue to grow. Their fake propaganda against Islam will fail.

Arab nations have always disputed this saying that Islam is already the largest religion in the world

Arab nations have always disputed this saying that Islam is already the largest religion in the world

Catholicism is fading because Christians are moving away from rigid catholicism to either liberal Protestant ideology or state church and so Christians are still the largest religious group .

Vatican is sweating because they are loosing their empire .

no, catholicism still thrives and has favouring from among their usual regions even with the storm of evangelicals. south america, africa, phillipines, etc, i think you get the picture.

christianity as a whole, is still the largest religion according to statistics. but then again, these are all only estimates. we don't know exactly how many christians are in china or africa. we don't even know how many muslims are in china or africa.

no, catholicism still thrives and has favouring from among their usual regions even with the storm of evangelicals. south america, africa, phillipines, etc, i think you get the picture.

christianity as a whole, is still the largest religion according to statistics. but then again, these are all only estimates. we don't know exactly how many christians are in china or africa. we don't even know how many muslims are in china or africa.

Proselytization is a worldwide phenomenon used by all the sects of Christianity . its not only Catholic evangelicals but even Protestants and other local churches are spreading .
but lot of catholics are shifting to these other sects and atheism in large numbers
and number of church going christians are falling down drastically .

i'm not considering christian converts to athiesm. however, even to easy-going, liberal chrisitians, catholicism is appealing. catholicism in amount of followers is vast compared to the other denominations of christianity.

"number of church going christians are following down drastically", i don't think i anyone doubts that. most christians, regardless of what denomination, do not practice anymore. they don't classify themselves as athiests even if they have the mindset.

How many true Christians are there anyway? At least 40% of them must be Atheists and are only Christians through their lineage.

Back
Top Bottom