What's new

Is this a good time to say good bye to PAF old fleet?

MZUBAIR

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Is this a good time to say good bye to old fleet (F-7, Mirage III and A5/Q5)?

PAF have approx 100 Mirage III, 100 old F-7 and 30 A5. We are already going to ground them within next 3 years.

I think PAF should getrid with these 230 old generation jets ASAP......n it would be far batter, if they sell them to fill pockets for new and modren aircrafts and avonics.

Its not a bad time to sell Mirage III, A5, F7 to potential countries like BD, Srilanka, Myanmar , Iran or Sudan along with old generation avoinics like R550 Magic, AIM-9 and other old avoinics in package.

The process of selling them will take 3 to 4 years and in that time we will be able to get 18 new and old upgraded F-16, 100 JF-17 and hopefully few J-10B. Beside that we would already have 50 + F-7PG and 80+ Mirage ROSE jets in fleet.

The deal with multiple countries for these 230 aircrafts along avoinics package (R550 Magic, AIM-9 , PL-2, PL-5, PL-7, PL-8, PL-9, Sidwinder) can fill PAF pockets more then 1 billion.

1 billion is not enough but its good to make add in new procurements.

In their replacment we can get more J-10B (approx 100) and new western avonics for JF-17 like IRIS-T, Mectron MAA-1 Piranha (Brazil), MBDA Meteor (long range), MBDA MICA (Short range).
These avonics are batter then any avonics in PAF. We are already getting 500+ AMRAAM.

There is a question in my mind, What would PAF do with these old horses after few years....would they put them as memorandom, or parts would be sold to Peshawar scrap market as they did before.

Y not get some money by selling them to other nations and add more money on new and modren aircrafts and avonics!!!!

Last edited:
MZUBAIR i really appriciate your idea but can you explain the following.
How would we fill the Gap ( new aircrafts would not be comming soon such as 100 Fc20's as you said i may take alot of time)

Who will buy old F/7's,A/5's/Mirages : list possible countries.

would there be any ristrictions involved:

And how would we cope with Refurbishing costs because no one will by them as they are now.

Regards::smitten:

I don’t think so that any country would be interested in buying them, after all every machine has a life (flying hours). If by chance any country would be interested PAF will definitely sell those old birds.

MZUBAIR i really appriciate your idea but can you explain the following.

Thankyou

How would we fill the Gap ( new aircrafts would not be comming soon such as 100 Fc20's as you said i may take alot of time)

We are getting 100 Jf-17 + 18 F-16 within next to 3 to 4 years according to PAF plan. This makes less quantity compare to 230 old jets but will improve quality. So the process of Gap will be covered, coz the processing of selling these old horses will also take 3 to 4 years.

Who will buy old F/7's,A/5's/Mirages : list possible countries.

There are number of countries already flying F-7/ A-5/ Mirage III and can be attracted with good marketing if PAF and GOP intrested like

F-7

Albania
Bangladesh (using similar birds as PAF)
Cambodia
Cambodian Air Force
Iran already 24 F-7 in service
Myanmar already 24 F-7 in service
Namibia already 12 F7 in service
Sri Lanka F-7BS and F-7G in service (13 received, 1 crashed)
Sudan 22 F-7 in service
Tanzania 16 F-7 in service
Yemen 18 F-7 in service
Zimbabwe 24 F-7 in service

F-5

BD Srilanka and Sudan.

Mirage III

It can be sold to Iran, BD srilanka coz they are near to Pakistan and PAF can offer them technical support.

Any ways its all idea, and only based on my thinking may be it would be very difficult......but atleast not impossible

would there be any ristrictions involved:

And how would we cope with Refurbishing costs because no one will by them as they are now.

Regards::smitten:

I dont think there be any ristriction, these are not American birds.
F-7 and F5/Q5 would need refurbishing costs, as simlar birds with simlar specs are already in use in above mentiond countries.

Is this a good time to say good bye to old fleet (F-7, Mirage III and A5/Q5)?

PAF have approx 100 Mirage III, 100 old F-7 and 30 A5. We are already going to ground them within next 3 years.

I think PAF should getrid with these 230 old generation jets ASAP......n it would be far batter, if they sell them to fill pockets for new and modren aircrafts and avonics.

Its not a bad time to sell Mirage III, A5, F7 to potential countries like BD, Srilanka, Myanmar , Iran or Sudan along with old generation avoinics like R550 Magic, AIM-9 and other old avoinics in package.

The process of selling them will take 3 to 4 years and in that time we will be able to get 18 new and old upgraded F-16, 100 JF-17 and hopefully few J-10B. Beside that we would already have 50 + F-7PG and 80+ Mirage ROSE jets in fleet.

The deal with multiple countries for these 230 aircrafts along avoinics package (R550 Magic, AIM-9 , PL-2, PL-5, PL-7, PL-8, PL-9, Sidwinder) can fill PAF pockets more then 1 billion.

1 billion is not enough but its good to make add in new procurements.

In their replacment we can get more J-10B (approx 100) and new western avonics for JF-17 like IRIS-T, Mectron MAA-1 Piranha (Brazil), MBDA Meteor (long range), MBDA MICA (Short range).
These avonics are batter then any avonics in PAF. We are already getting 500+ AMRAAM.

There is a question in my mind, What would PAF do with these old horses after few years....would they put them as memorandom, or parts would be sold to Peshawar scrap market as they did before.

Y not get some money by selling them to other nations and add more money on new and modren aircrafts and avonics!!!!

Well a sudden change will create a void.
A Phase wise replacement by the F16s and Jf17/J10s will be quite appropriate, n which PAF will likely do.

this is a routine procedure when things get old they need to be changed
so this is not a fruitfull discussion
we may thing instead how to change old with new one
A5 to JF
F7 to J10 as F16 are in there position already

You expect Iran to Fight Israel with mirage 3 from PAF which are 50 years old.

When they have twice the budget and money of Pakistan wats stopping them buying Flankers from Russia or indeed J10 from China which is pushing the J10 to iran China to Sell J-10 Fighter Jets to Iran

Well a sudden change will create a void.
A Phase wise replacement by the F16s and Jf17/J10s will be quite appropriate, n which PAF will likely do.

Yes, this would be the most likely way.
I think PAF would be more interested in the induction of new planes rather than trying to find the ways of selling the old ones.

618f3d4645bd1f080abb6daa958a3077.jpg

When first i saw f 7 pic..i thought its in museum..but then i came to know its still in service....

There is nothing like having brand new state of the art aircraft. However there is a lot of difference between a wish and what is practicable. Pakistan is desperately short on cash, we need US aid to help meet our budget deficit!!

Remember that having an old aircraft is better than having ‘NO’ aircraft. Therefore PAF high command is doing a fine job in planning a phased replacement of F-7, Mirage-III and A-5.

618f3d4645bd1f080abb6daa958a3077.jpg

When first i saw f 7 pic..i thought its in museum..but then i came to know its still in service....

F-7s are still in service in large numbers in China. It's easy to produce a plane, but not easy to train a pilot.

Besides, later types of F-7 is good enough to face F-4s/Mig-21s who are still in service in India, Korea, Japan, Taiwan and many other countries.

Back
Top Bottom