Max The Boss

Reaction score
Is F-35 Stealth fighter jet Successful?

Name: F-35.
Role: Stealth Multi-role fighter.
Manufacturer: Lockheed Martin.
Introduction: 2011.
Unit cost: $80-100 Million.

The F-35 is a fifth-generation, single-seat, single-engine, stealth-capable military strike fighter, a multi-role aircraft that can perform close air support, tactical bombing, and air defense missions. The F-35 has three different models; one is the conventional takeoff and landing variant, the second is short takeoff and vertical-landing variant, and the third is a carrier-based variant.

F-35A - conventional takeoff and landing (CTOL) variant.
F-35B - short-takeoff and vertical-landing (STOVL) variant.
F-35C - carrier-based CATOBAR (CV) variant.

The F-35A is the conventional takeoff and landing (CTOL) variant intended for the air forces. It is the smallest, lightest F-35 version and is the only variant equipped with an internal cannon, the GAU-22/A. This 25 mm cannon is a development of the GAU-12 carried by the USMC's AV-8B Harrier II. It is designed for increased effectiveness compared to the 20 mm M61 Vulcan cannon carried by other USAF fighters.

The F-35B is the short takeoff and vertical landing (STOVL) variant of the aircraft. Similar in size to the A variant, the B sacrifices some fuel volume to make room for the vertical flight system. Takeoffs and landing with vertical flight system are by far the riskiest, and in the end, a decisive factor in design. Like the AV-8B Harrier II, the B's guns will be carried in a ventral pod.

The F-35C carrier variant will have a larger, folding wing and larger control surfaces for improved low-speed control, and stronger landing gear for the stresses of carrier landings. The larger wing area allows for decreased landing speed, increased range and payload, with twice the range on internal fuel.

F-35 – Specifications

General characteristics

Crew: 1
Length: A: 51.4 ft, B: 51.3 ft, C: 51.5 ft (A: 15.67 m, B: 15.6 m, C: 15.7 m).
Wingspan: A/B: 35 ft, C: 43 ft (A/B: 10.7 m, C: 13.1 m).
Height: A/B: 14.2 ft, C: 14.9 ft (A/B: 4.33 m, C: 4.54 m).
Wing area: A/B: 460 ft², C: 668 ft² (A/B: 42.7 m², C: 62.1 m²).
Empty weight: A: 29,300 lb, B: 32,000 lb, C: 34,800 lb (A: 13,300 kg, B: 14,500 kg, C: 15,800 kg).
Loaded weight: 44,400 lb (20,100 kg).
Max takeoff weight: A/C: 70,000 lb, B: 60,000 lb (A/C: 31,800 kg, B: 27,200 kg).
Power plant: 1× Pratt & Whitney F135 afterburning turbofan.
Dry thrust: 25,000 lbf (111 kN).
Thrust with afterburner: 42,000 lbf (178+ kN).
Lift fan (STOVL): 1× Rolls-Royce Lift System driven from main power plant, 18,000 lbf (80 kN).
Internal fuel: F-35A: 18,480 lb (8,382 kg); F-35B: 14,003 lb (6,352 kg); F-35C: 20,085 lb (9,110 kg).

Performance

Maximum speed: Mach 1.67 (1,283 mph, 2,065 km/h).
Range: A: 1,200 nmi; B: 900 nmi; C: 1,400 nmi (A: 2,220 km; B: 1,670 km; C: 2,520 km) on internal fuel.
Combat radius: A: 610 nmi; B: 500 nmi; C: 640 nmi (A: 1,110 km; B: 910 km; C: 1,150 km) on internal fuel.
Service ceiling: A/B/C: 60,000 ft (18,288 m).
Rate of climb: classified (not publicly available).
Wing loading: 91.4 lb/ft² (446 kg/m²).
Thrust/weight:
With full fuel: A: 0.89; B: 0.92; C: 0.81.
With 50% fuel: A: 1.12; B: 1.10; C: 1.01.
G-Limits: F-35A: 9 g, F-35B: 7.5 g, F-35C: 7.5 g.

Armament

Guns: 1 × GAU-22/A 25 mm (0.984 in) cannon — slated to be mounted internally with 180 rounds in the F-35A and fitted as an external pod with 220 rounds in the F-35B and F-35C.
Hard points: 6× external pylons on wings with a capacity of 15,000 lb (6,800 kg) and 2× internal bays with 2 pylons each.
Missiles:
Internal: 4 air-to-air missiles, or 2 air-to-air missiles and 2 air-to-ground weapons.
External: 6 air-to-air missiles, or 4 air-to-ground weapons and 2 air-to-air missiles with combinations for the following missiles.

Air-to-air missiles:
AIM-120 AMRAAM.
AIM-132 ASRAAM.
AIM-9X Sidewinder.

Air-to-ground weapons:
AGM-154 JSOW.
AGM-158 JASSM.

Bombs:
Mark 84 general purpose bombs.
Mark 83 GP bombs.
Mark 82 GP bombs.
Mk.20 Rockeye II cluster bomb.
Wind Corrected Munitions Dispenser capable.
Paveway-series laser-guided bombs.
Small Diameter Bomb (SDB).
JDAM-series.

friend this thread has nothing to do with PAF
kindly move to world military section

F-35 - Military Aviation

this is what is writthe next to Military Aviation

Discuss about the Pakistani Air Force capability, induction of fighters, changes in air force, comparison with other air forces of the world.

i hope you understand what sir fatman was trying to tell you. this thread named military aviation is meant to discuss PAF and army aviation topics as clearly explained in the statement!

thankyou!
regards!

It has not entered operational service with any military yet . Therefore, it is impossible to answer this question. Anything else is plain speculation, and success or failure should not be based on predictions. Ask again in a few years time, in the proper thread, and we shall discuss it in detail.

30-50 mil is a very good price for a stealth combat aircraft actually i take that back its a ridiculously cheap price(especially if its closer to 30 mil )

too expensive

I heard it is about 30---50M USD:what:

no dude, you got it completely wrong! 30 million even 50 million dollar is a nothing price for the F35, i wish you were right but this is not the case, it is much more expensive!
infact the 4.5 generation fighter planes like Rafale cost about 80 million dollar, Gripen costs at 60 million dollar, even the chines J10 is about 25 30 million dollar per plane! ! i dont know of any westren plane costing below 40 million dollar at present (talking about 4th and 4.5 generation planes) so i hope it is clear that F35 is not of the price range you have claimed it to be!!
the price of F35 is estimated to be at 120 million dollar but it is very likely to go up if it does not manage to win a good number of export orders. said all this, the price tag of 85 million seems to be cheap when we look at the 300+ million dollar price of the other 5th generation plane thats the F22!

i hope this helps you a bit!

regards!

Last edited:
F-35 Lightning II: $122 million
Lockheed Martin's 2001 deal to build these stealth, supersonic fighter jets was at the time the largest military contract ever. The F-35s, intended to replace an aging aircraft arsenal, were developed as part of a Joint Strike Fighter program between the U.S. and its allies and were criticized as underpowered and overweight — and therefore easy targets. Making matters worse, from 2007 to 2008, cyberspies infiltrated the 7.5 million lines of computer code that powered the Joint Strike Fighter, raising concerns that enemies could copy the F-35's design and exploit its weaknesses. In April 2009, Lockheed Martin said it did not believe the program had been compromised.

this is what is writthe next to Military Aviation

i hope you understand what sir fatman was trying to tell you. this thread named military aviation is meant to discuss PAF and army aviation topics as clearly explained in the statement!

thankyou!
regards!

Well he opened the thread and not seeming to move it

So only wa to make it fruitfull is that

we should discuss after how much decades PAF wil get these birds

And what implications they can create in SubContinent WAR scenario
ANd what would be counter measures
And may be How much JXX can be leathl compare to F35

Well he opened the thread and not seeming to move it

So only wa to make it fruitfull is that

we should discuss after how much decades PAF wil get these birds

And what implications they can create in SubContinent WAR scenario
ANd what would be counter measures
And may be How much JXX can be leathl compare to F35

perhaps when there will be some 8th generation fighter planes all around the globe and US will be retiring the F35!!

for me it is no use to go for 5th generation at the moment, i mean instead of spending billions of these planes why no invest in system able to counter stealty, once we get some radar which can counter these 5th generation stealth technology it will be an even money bet!

regards!

lol and i heard reports that its underpowered

i also read that report claiming the engine to be under power and some problems with avionics and computer codes!
perhaps there is something wrong with the engines or are not performing to there potential! also remember that the plane is a bit too heavy!
regards!

Back
Top Bottom