Is alcohol legal in Pakistan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vsdoc

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Was going through the website of Murree Brewery. Since 1860 - they have something on us!

Used to think of them only as beer makers. But apparently they have some good single malts, scotches, and brandies too.

So it set me thinking?

How can you have an alcohol maker in an Islamic Republic?

Is the stuff only exported or does some of it get sold in Pakistan as well?

Can a Pakistani have alcohol in a public place other than his/her home?

Do you have pubs and wine shops in Pakistan?

Do you need to prove that you are not Muslim for any of the above?

Was going through the website of Murree Brewery. Since 1860 - they have something on us!

Used to think of them only as beer makers. But apparently they have some good single malts, scotches, and brandies too.

So it set me thinking?

the good old 'connections' does everything.

we have wine shops. some 5-stars have converted 'suites' into pubs for foreign PP holders. there is a 'pub' in the international enclave in ISLD. the old 'bootlegger' is alive and well. there is the 'cantonment' bootlegger and then there is the normal bootlegger.

cheers!

Thanks Fatman!

Dug a little further - this is what the website says:

Under the laws of Pakistan Muslims are prohibited from consuming alcoholic drinks. Non-Muslims and foreigners require consumption permit issued by Provincial Governments and Islamabad (Capital Territory). However in most cases a Liquor retailer will assist you in obtaining a permit. If you are a foreign tourist; feel free to call our Customer department for assistance on
Telephone Phone No. +92 051-5567041-7 (Extension: 311, 392)
or our Customer Care Officer Mr. Ramesh Kumar on Mobile Phone No.:0300-5384142

“ In province of Punjab, liquor can be purchased only from authorized dealers as under:

Lahore

i. Pearl Continental Hotel, Mall Road. 042-36360210
ii. Holiday Inn, Egerton Road. 042-6310077
iii. Ambassador Hotel, Davis Road. 042-6316820-32
iv. Avari Hotel, Mall Road. 042-6366366

Rawalpindi

i. Pearl Continental Hotel, Mall Road. 051-5566011

Multan

i. Ramada Hotel, Abdali Road. 061-4587777-95

Faisalabad

i. Serena Hotel, Club Road. 041-2600428

Murree

i. Pearl Continental Hotel, Bhurban. 051-3355651

In Capital Territory Liquor can be purchased from

i. Marriot Hotel, Islamabad. 051-2826121
ii. Serena Hotel, Islamabad. 051-2874000
iii. Best Western Hotel, Islamabad. 051-2277460-8

In province of Sindh and Baluchistan liquor can be purchased from designated shops in addition to five star hotels.

Cheers!

They have a good amount of non-alcoholic stuff as well.

Alcohol is not banned, just restricted to a non-Muslim buyer.

Both and it gets illegally purchased by Muslims as well. There is no computerized system tracking purchases of Alcohol, sellers are required to check for a card that allows the purchase of Alcohol, if they don't no one would care. Government doesn't do sting ops against them either.

Legal.

In designated areas with liquor selling licenses.

Pubs yes, but semi-underground. Everyone knows where they are. They are also semi-permanent, prop up, then vanish over time. Wine shops, none that I know of, but I think there may be. Or you can buy them from hotels.

You need to have a purchase license that is only given to non-Muslims and they have to prove it at the time of issuance.

Personally I discourage the use of alcohol, but believe its the freedom of the drinker and controls must be maintained on age groups that drink.

Thanks Asim.

I am hoping these single malts and scotches are some of the first Pakistani products that come across with the new trade ties.

There is a bit of history too here, which adds to the curiosity.

I used to smoke and quit more than 3 years ago. Even ceremonial cigars since I had to do it cold turkey once and for all.

A good whisky once in a way is what I enjoy now. :)

Also the amount of alcohol I know the youth in Pakistan is drinking today is very discomforting. Parents need to do more to impart better values and judgment to their children.

In our younger days, which I think wasn't too long ago :P, it wasn't something as acceptable as it is today, now you go to some people's place and they will very proudly show off their secret stash. Their children are less averse to drinking as a result too.

Thanks Asim.

I am hoping these single malts and scotches are some of the first Pakistani products that come across with the new trade ties.

There is a bit of history too here, which adds to the curiosity.

I used to smoke and quit more than 3 years ago. Even ceremonial cigars since I had to do it cold turkey once and for all.

A good whisky once in a way is what I enjoy now. :)

Murree doesn't already sell in India? I have heard a few Indians speak of having tasted it now and then. They say it has a very different and acquired taste as it maintains its colonial era taste - whatever that means.

Enjoy it in moderation. Bottoms up!

Its here too man. Disposable income amongst the 20 somethings and indiscriminate papa's paisa for those in their late teens. I cannot imagine how someone can go to a pub so regularly when he or she is not earning or is just starting off. Its costly! But they seem to be managing just fine. Some of the blame goes to the BPO industry I guess. No offense to anyone here, I worked briefly in there as well for a US process, but its going to make our youth brain dead.

Murree doesn't already sell in India? I have heard a few Indians speak of having tasted it now and then. They say it has a very different and acquired taste as it maintains its colonial era taste - whatever that means.

I didn't know that. Haven't seen it in most of our fancy departmental store wine shops (where we get the imports) or I probably haven't looked specifically. Will for sure next! :)

I hope its not like the English beer man - that's a taste I could never get used to.

Cheers!

Also the amount of alcohol I know the youth in Pakistan is drinking today is very discomforting. Parents need to do more to impart better values and judgment to their children.

In our younger days, which I think wasn't too long ago :P, it wasn't something as acceptable as it is today, now you go to some people's place and they will very proudly show off their secret stash. Their children are less averse to drinking as a result too.

Murree doesn't already sell in India? I have heard a few Indians speak of having tasted it now and then. They say it has a very different and acquired taste as it maintains its colonial era taste - whatever that means.Enjoy it in moderation. Bottoms up!

Not that I know of. Though I got sample it in Pakistan. Of course most times, my hosts in their generous hospitality offered me BD (Fatman17s favorite tipple, if I'm not mistaken). Most surprisng (to me) was the offer of Old Monk and even Hercules (by Khoday). But that is not my first choice. I'd always prefer a single malt like the Glens or Shetlands. Apologies to Fatman.

That was quite a while ago (the 90s). There may be changes now.

Acceptable?

Man what's even worse is that desi they make around villages and some cities. They put god damn sleeping pills in it.

Hell, Pakistanis are such animals I recently found out from a friend that Pakistanis are bootlegging in KSA.

I was like wow, what a great thing to be known for.

If something is crooked, you better believe a Pakistani is behind it.

Murree is not available in BD. Otherwise I would like to taste. Pk can allow selling it to any lisenced muslim and non-muslim by imposing higher tax on liquor. Here anyone can drink, he just needs lisence.

Acceptable?

Man what's even worse is that desi they make around villages and some cities. They put god damn sleeping pills in it.

Hell, Pakistanis are such animals I recently found out from a friend that Pakistanis are bootlegging in KSA.

If something is crooked, you better believe a Pakistani is behind it.[/
QUOTE]

hmmmm...below the belt mate!

3 kinds of murree beer are available - lager, ale and dark beer. %alcohol is between 4-6%. so quite strong.

Acceptable?

If something is crooked, you better believe a Pakistani is behind it.[/
QUOTE]

hmmmm...below the belt mate!

I guess, but come on, look at our country.

Within fifteen minutes of meeting this arab guy, I had found this out. He even said the word "desi".

I was like wow our people across the globe are really making the crescent moon shine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom