What's new

Iron Fist active protection system

well have you guys seen the Iron Fist vedio, it really explains the system and its mechanism to a great deal. if you are facing any problems in viewing it here better get it on youtube by clicking the title of vedio. i hope you will like them!

regards!

well have you guys seen the Iron Fist vedio, it really explains the system and its mechanism to a great deal. if you are facing any problems in viewing it here better get it on youtube by clicking the title of vedio. i hope you will like them!

regards!

Sir its really helpfull , but what do you think about defeating the Iron fist , because this video falls apart many concepts we have discussed earlier in this thread.

:lol:
yes it seem that it did,
but remeber it was a documentry from westren and dont expect them to discuss its weak points,,
well for jamming as far as i can think it is the same old story. a missile with anti jamming abilities will get through the soft kill protection suite and a decoy will take on the hard kill.
infact if you know about ERA, its fuction is to explde when the RPG comes near and destry the RPG. but missiles have been develpoed that defet ERA so developing one that can defeat the Iron Fist by using similar sort of technique wont be very hard!
actually i am not a big fan of anti missile system, they cost a lot and are not efficient,

regards!

:lol:
yes it seem that it did,
but remeber it was a documentry from westren and dont expect them to discuss its weak points,,
well for jamming as far as i can think it is the same old story. a missile with anti jamming abilities will get through the soft kill protection suite and a decoy will take on the hard kill.
infact if you know about ERA, its fuction is to explde when the RPG comes near and destry the RPG. but missiles have been develpoed that defet ERA so developing one that can defeat the Iron Fist by using similar sort of technique wont be very hard!
actually i am not a big fan of anti missile system, they cost a lot and are not efficient,

regards!

Agree with that and specially what clicked me was 360o protection ...

Sir lemme laugh :rofl::rofl:
360o means all around the vehicle rite? but the Iron fist would'nt take out something from beneath , do u knw wht i mean the land mine !!

so how would they call it 360o? effective , to me its 180o hahaha

Agree with that and specially what clicked me was 360o protection ...

Sir lemme laugh :rofl::rofl:
360o means all around the vehicle rite? but the Iron fist would'nt take out something from beneath , do u knw wht i mean the land mine !!

so how would they call it 360o? effective , to me its 180o hahaha

yes you are right to state that it wont be active against land mines but brother it is not what it is made for, it is a protection system against RPGs adn Missiles.
moreover it is 360 degree, the coverage is mentioned in single plane and not in 3D! i guess you got confused with the vedio that shows a semicircle image all around the vehicle to describe Iron fists kinnilg range.

regards!

yes you are right to state that it wont be active against land mines but brother it is not what it is made for, it is a protection system against RPGs adn Missiles.
moreover it is 360 degree, the coverage is mentioned in single plane and not in 3D! i guess you got confused with the vedio that shows a semicircle image all around the vehicle to describe Iron fists kinnilg range.

regards!

Yeah that rite , i got confused !

Anyhow its an impressive invention its good to keep looking outside the wall isnt' it ?:smitten:

LEDS-150 which has been selected for T-90.

Saab’s Land Electronic Defence System (LEDS) already offers an impressive capability to defend combat vehicles from RPG and ATGM attack, and the family is being further extended to provide protection against ‘smart’ threats with tri-mode seekers, fire suppression, and the ability to defeat kinetic energy weapons. When fully developed, LEDS will provide full-spectrum, hemispherical protection for a wide range of vehicles.
LEDS uses a building-block approach and, once installed, allows customers to upgrade defensive capabilities incrementally. The baseline system is LEDS-50, comprising four primary LWS-310 multiband laser-warning sensors and an optional LWS-500 top-attack sensor. The five sensor system gives full hemispherical coverage, down to 20° below the sensor horizon, and also has impressive anti-reflection capability to counter false alarms generated by bouncing lasers.
LEDS-50 provides a comprehensive warning and direction-finding capability, and can interface with existing countermeasures systems. As a more capable alternative, the LEDS-100 adds up to four High-Speed Directed Launchers. Each HSDL can slew through 90° in less than 100 milliseconds, bringing to bear countermeasures such as fast-deploying multispectral smoke grenades. Tests with LEDS-100 fitted to a Jordanian M60 MBT began in April.
Scheduled to become operational in 2010, the LEDS-150 system offers a hard-kill capability against RPGs, ATGMs and tank rounds. Adding an MCTS-150 360° radar/imaging infrared sensor to the system allows LEDS-150 to track incoming rounds, and then fire Mongoose-1 interceptor munitions from HSDL-206 sixtube launchers. Against an RPG fired from 20m, LEDS-150 will destroy it at about 5m from the vehicle, illustrating the rapid reaction of the system.
Mongoose-1 is a shaped-charge munition that is designed to cut into incoming rounds from the side, so that their resulting blast pattern is parallel to the line of flight. Compared with other hard-kill systems that use a ‘metal storm’ of tungsten balls, this greatly reduces the chances of fratricide against friendly troops who may be close to the vehicle.

During tests in South Africa the Mongoose-1 intercept vehicle demonstrated its ability to detonate incoming rounds in a controlled manner, resulting in a confined blast pattern parallel to the incoming projectile’s flightpath

Saab Avitronics is working on the LEDS-200 system, which rapidly deploys a multispectral coating. This provides effective signature management against tri-band (CCD, IR, millimetre-wave radar) threats, and also extinguishes fires. The latter is a very useful feature against attacks from ‘Molotov cocktails’. LEDS-300 is a defensive system designed to counter kinetic energy long rod and smart standoff threats. It was tested successfully last year in South Africa, and is scheduled to be ready for operations in 2012.
This October live-fire tests of the LEDS system installed in a Mowag Piranha will be undertaken against a range of threat types. The Swiss manufacturer has chosen LEDS as its preferred active protection system after an exhaustive evaluation of 27 competing solutions. Last month the Piranha V was provisionally chosen for the first phase of the British Army’s FRES competition, and LEDS is being offered. The system has already been procured by the Dutch army for its BAE Hägglunds CV90 tracked IFVs, and again is the preferred fit for this widely used family of vehicles. LEDS is shortlisted for the French AMX-10RC upgrade, and is also being considered for the US Army/Marine Corps.

a4047a706b22e4673b7e9aa6430b0a77.jpg

Mongoose-1 missile launcher

9072af9677fca3e45f2a30315bdbd608.jpg

Integrated control system and 'MCTS-150' 360° radar/imaging infrared sensor

For a better reading please follow:
http://www.kreon.co.za/News/Engineering%20News%2023%20Feb%202007.pdf

Last edited:
LEDS-150 which has been selected for T-90.

Saab’s Land Electronic Defence System (LEDS) already offers an impressive capability to defend combat vehicles from RPG and ATGM attack, and the family is being further extended to provide protection against ‘smart’ threats with tri-mode seekers, fire suppression, and the ability to defeat kinetic energy weapons. When fully developed, LEDS will provide full-spectrum, hemispherical protection for a wide range of vehicles.
LEDS uses a building-block approach and, once installed, allows customers to upgrade defensive capabilities incrementally. The baseline system is LEDS-50, comprising four primary LWS-310 multiband laser-warning sensors and an optional LWS-500 top-attack sensor. The five sensor system gives full hemispherical coverage, down to 20° below the sensor horizon, and also has impressive anti-reflection capability to counter false alarms generated by bouncing lasers.
LEDS-50 provides a comprehensive warning and direction-finding capability, and can interface with existing countermeasures systems. As a more capable alternative, the LEDS-100 adds up to four High-Speed Directed Launchers. Each HSDL can slew through 90° in less than 100 milliseconds, bringing to bear countermeasures such as fast-deploying multispectral smoke grenades. Tests with LEDS-100 fitted to a Jordanian M60 MBT began in April.
Scheduled to become operational in 2010, the LEDS-150 system offers a hard-kill capability against RPGs, ATGMs and tank rounds. Adding an MCTS-150 360° radar/imaging infrared sensor to the system allows LEDS-150 to track incoming rounds, and then fire Mongoose-1 interceptor munitions from HSDL-206 sixtube launchers. Against an RPG fired from 20m, LEDS-150 will destroy it at about 5m from the vehicle, illustrating the rapid reaction of the system.
Mongoose-1 is a shaped-charge munition that is designed to cut into incoming rounds from the side, so that their resulting blast pattern is parallel to the line of flight. Compared with other hard-kill systems that use a ‘metal storm’ of tungsten balls, this greatly reduces the chances of fratricide against friendly troops who may be close to the vehicle.

During tests in South Africa the Mongoose-1 intercept vehicle demonstrated its ability to detonate incoming rounds in a controlled manner, resulting in a confined blast pattern parallel to the incoming projectile’s flightpath

Saab Avitronics is working on the LEDS-200 system, which rapidly deploys a multispectral coating. This provides effective signature management against tri-band (CCD, IR, millimetre-wave radar) threats, and also extinguishes fires. The latter is a very useful feature against attacks from ‘Molotov cocktails’. LEDS-300 is a defensive system designed to counter kinetic energy long rod and smart standoff threats. It was tested successfully last year in South Africa, and is scheduled to be ready for operations in 2012.
This October live-fire tests of the LEDS system installed in a Mowag Piranha will be undertaken against a range of threat types. The Swiss manufacturer has chosen LEDS as its preferred active protection system after an exhaustive evaluation of 27 competing solutions. Last month the Piranha V was provisionally chosen for the first phase of the British Army’s FRES competition, and LEDS is being offered. The system has already been procured by the Dutch army for its BAE Hägglunds CV90 tracked IFVs, and again is the preferred fit for this widely used family of vehicles. LEDS is shortlisted for the French AMX-10RC upgrade, and is also being considered for the US Army/Marine Corps.

a4047a706b22e4673b7e9aa6430b0a77.jpg

Mongoose-1 missile launcher

9072af9677fca3e45f2a30315bdbd608.jpg

Integrated control system and 'MCTS-150' 360° radar/imaging infrared sensor

For a better reading please follow:
http://www.kreon.co.za/News/Engineering%20News%2023%20Feb%202007.pdf

it was very nice to see members discusing such latest next generation systems in detail. Sir. Arsalan, black blood thanks a lot for this valuable information. i hope we can get something like this on board our tanks

well dude we are pakistanis and our men are not afraid of death, neither we are in a position to absolutely eliminate it. even theost advanced technologies have some drawbacks and to be the best you can just minimize them,, if you know of a perfect system other then nature do let us know!! :rolleyes:

and yes this is what i always call as propaganda,, IDF need a hard kill system on there machines to protect them from incomming rocks whereas if hezboallah buys a 9 mm pistol it is terrorism!! :hitwall:
what do you have to say about this???

regards!

I am unsure what you mean in your post, my reason for askingthe question is you dont want a projectile system going off because some one throws a rock low colatteral damage or not it leads to the chance of kids being stupid getting hurt.

Back on topic though another solution to the problem. The cloth tank.

AmSafe / Products & Services / Military/Defense Products / Armor System

The significant benefit of Tarian is that it's capable of defeating the same threats as existing bar or slat armour, but at a considerably reduced weight. This patented system provides a savings of up to 85% when compared to traditional armour and yet it is just as effective.

Back
Top Bottom