What's new

Iran's new anti-helicopter mine

Arminkh

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
Iran just tested a new ground based anti-helicopter mine.

The mentioned mine is called Saeghe. When activated it throws small bomblets up to 300m in the air. The bomblets will form an explosive wall above the mine that would destroy or seriously damage any flying object passing by:

2086264_994.jpg

http://www.mashreghnews.ir/fa/news/694322/رونمایی-از-مین-ضد-بالگرد-صاعقه-توسط-سپاه

This is an interesting idea. Just plant them in the remote locations that you know the enemy would use to enter the country and forget about it!

Just plant them in the remote locations that you know the enemy would use to enter the country and forget about it!
I'm not so sure. Helicopters only fly as low as 300 m if they are in a combat situation. Maybe they would be used to defend bases or such against these helicopters, but a few guys with MANPADS sounds just as effective IMHO.

Its a unique and innovative concept for sure. But I think it needs to be battle tested to prove its efficacy.

I'm not so sure. Helicopters only fly as low as 300 m if they are in a combat situation. Maybe they would be used to defend bases or such against these helicopters, but a few guys with MANPADS sounds just as effective IMHO.

Its a unique and innovative concept for sure. But I think it needs to be battle tested to prove its efficacy.
Good example, i'm not sure about their similarity but there must be a good guidance about that ::
https://defence.pk/threads/anti-helicopter-mines.310935/

I think these mines will be used for helicopters that are trying to duck under radar.

Compared to manpads, these systems are dirt cheap. To the very least it could be a complementary system.

Compared to manpads, these systems are dirt cheap.
Of course. But the question remains if they are cost effective - that is, does the lower cost justify the large number that will be needed to be deployed.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom