What's new

Iran protests FIFA ban on women's team

tallboy123

Reaction score
Iran is protesting a decision by the ruling football body FIFA to deny its women’s football team playing a 2012 Olympics qualifier in Jordan because of the players’ Islamic outfits, state media reported Sunday.

FIFA cancelled Friday’s game in Amman and declared Jordan 3-0 winners after the Iranian authorities refused their players to remove their headscarves and track suits.

Women in Iran are obliged to respect the hijab — Islamic dress code — and wear a long gown and scarf to conceal body contours and hair in public.

Iranian sportswomen, including the football team, have to keep the hijab in international competition, too.

Iranian Football Federation head Ali Kafshian told state television that FIFA had been informed about the outfits of the Iranian women’s team.

He named the FIFA ban and declaring the game in favour of Jordan as questionable.

Kafashian said that Iran has appealed the FIFA decision and would also file an official complaint against the football body.

Iran reportedly had the same problem last year at the Youth Olympic Games in Singapore.

Iran’s national women’s football team was founded in 2005 and was runner-up at Asian tournaments in Jordan in 2005 and 2007.

Iran has a large number of women interested in football, but they are not allowed to enter football stadiums despite approval by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.:no:

Clergy circles and local football officials believe that the male-dominated atmosphere in football stadiums, and vulgar language used by male fans, were not appropriate for women.
:disagree:

Iran protests FIFA ban on women's team - Times LIVE

Iranian-Women-Football2.jpg

YE0451074_wa.jpg

:rofl:

Iran is protesting a decision by the ruling football body FIFA to deny its women’s football team playing a 2012 Olympics qualifier in Jordan because of the players’ Islamic outfits, state media reported Sunday.

FIFA cancelled Friday’s game in Amman and declared Jordan 3-0 winners after the Iranian authorities refused their players to remove their headscarves and track suits.

Women in Iran are obliged to respect the hijab — Islamic dress code — and wear a long gown and scarf to conceal body contours and hair in public.

Iranian sportswomen, including the football team, have to keep the hijab in international competition, too.

Iranian Football Federation head Ali Kafshian told state television that FIFA had been informed about the outfits of the Iranian women’s team.

He named the FIFA ban and declaring the game in favour of Jordan as questionable.

Kafashian said that Iran has appealed the FIFA decision and would also file an official complaint against the football body.

Iran reportedly had the same problem last year at the Youth Olympic Games in Singapore.

Iran’s national women’s football team was founded in 2005 and was runner-up at Asian tournaments in Jordan in 2005 and 2007.

Iran has a large number of women interested in football, but they are not allowed to enter football stadiums despite approval by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.:no:

Clergy circles and local football officials believe that the male-dominated atmosphere in football stadiums, and vulgar language used by male fans, were not appropriate for women.
:disagree:

Iran protests FIFA ban on women's team - Times LIVE

Iranian-Women-Football2.jpg

YE0451074_wa.jpg

:rofl:

Why is Ahmedinejad being bashed in the article? WHo is being discriminated here? You can talk all about women's rights abuse in Iran, but fact of the matter is, majority of the voters in Iran are women. And many top govt officials are women in Iran. Iran arguably has more women rights and participation than many secular nations.

this is narrowmindedness of FIFA administration...

The ban is a bit harsh I think. Their uniform although weird, surely doesn't affect their performance or their opponents for that matter.

I guess Jordan is less of a Muslim country than Iran , since it allows its women to play in shorts:lol:

The ban is a bit harsh I think. Their uniform although weird, surely doesn't affect their performance or their opponents for that matter.

I guess Jordan is less of a Muslim country than Iran , since it allows its women to play in shorts:lol:

I guess its against the rules to not play in shorts?

Irans young people are preety moderate just not the mullahs and people in high up places. check out the iran defence forum its actually abit anti-islamic.

Brothers of Iran! Liberate from the Shackles of Arab Religious Imperialism - Iran Defense Forum

Iran more women rights than secular nations?:undecided:

better Iranian men cover their women with black sacks n keep them in home....Don't let them outside...this world is so cruel

Iran has a large number of women interested in football, but they are not allowed to enter football stadiums despite approval by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
Example of Supression of women in Islamic country!!!!

Too bad even presidents approval has noo values..
how will women in Islamic countries stand in the crowd if they r supressed???
NO never

I guess its against the rules to not play in shorts?

And these rules cannot be changed?

It would have been far better if Iranian women were allowed to compete. Why not give them opening and exposure. Why FIFA is denying players right to participate in competitions? What is more important: players dressing or their ability to play? In this situation both Iranian government and FIFA are denying women players their freedom to play and compete.

And these rules cannot be changed?

It would have been far better if Iranian women were allowed to compete. Why not give them opening and exposure. Why FIFA is denying players right to participate in competitions? What is more important: players dressing or their ability to play? In this situation both Iranian government and FIFA are denying women players their freedom to play and compete.

I personally would not watch sports if there is no feminine appeal.

i think it's an unreasonable ban.....more so politically motivated than anything else. . .

hopefully the ban would be lifted, though i have my doubts

:woot:

Some pretty harsh words.

But this forum seems to be mainly populated by Iranian expats. Not sure what the general population thinks

lol there was a survey done in Iran and 16 percent of the country considered themselves atheists or agnostic (gallop poll). This is in a country where apostacy carries the death penalty. The real figure would be at least double. People are scared to answer correctly because they always think the government is after them.
Irreligion by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And I saw a picture of one of the national team players in bikini lying on the beach in the US but in Iran they are forced to dress like retards by the government.

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

i think it's an unreasonable ban.....more so politically motivated than anything else. . .

hopefully the ban would be lifted, though i have my doubts

i'm all for it.
Women are not animals. This will put pressure on our arab wannabe government.

Back
Top Bottom