What's new

Iran plans to send Fajr satellite into space within a month

Nobody denies Iran's achievement in Rocket Technology here, But sending sending decent normal sattelites in to space (around 250-350 kg) is still far away for iran. Dont get so existed yet, These are mere small and inferior sattelits, as you can see the life span is only 1,5 year.

The plan is to keep sending heavier and heavier sats by bringing in new generation of SLVs every few years. A new launch base is being built for sending a 1 ton sat (scheduled for around 2020). They're now behind schedule. Our Simorgh SLV was supposed to be out last year, but it will be out this year. Also, by 2016 we should be able to send sats into orbits of up to 36,000 KM.

Correct me people, I'm just saying this without checking, but the weight of the sat doesn't have anything to do with how long it stays up. It's how high of an orbit you send it to.

You can see a complete list of sats waiting to be launched here.

If I had to guess, I would say our space program would get a 'lift off' (see what I did there? lol) with additional funding. We like to follow the Russian model of building everything cheap and dirty. This is one area where they shouldn't do this. We need to have some juicy sats up there by 2020. I think they're so scared of having a failed launch (with all the attention Iran gets) that they're delaying new SLVs as long as possible. The North Korean failed rocket had similar specs to the new Simorgh SLV so that should teach them a thing or two as well.

You can't call them inferior satellites, it's not because of the weight that the life span is only 1.5 years, but it's because the satellite will be injected into the LEO. The LEO is more polluted with objects orbiting around the earth that could be destructive for the satellite but as you go higher and higher from the earth like in GEO there would be much less objects orbiting the earth so the satellite would have a higher life span. Iran could advance easily if it wants, but Iran must be very cautious because any GEO launch by Iran would put Iran under severe embargoes because the west will use it as a pretext that Iran is after ICBM technology to hit them.

damn you beat me lol

You can't call them inferior satellites, it's not because of the weight that the life span is only 1.5 years, but it's because the satellite will be injected into the LEO. The LEO is more polluted with objects orbiting around the earth that could be destructive for the satellite but as you go higher and higher from the earth like in GEO there would be much less objects orbiting the earth so the satellite would have a higher life span. Iran could advance easily if it wants, but Iran must be very cautious because any GEO launch by Iran would put Iran under severe embargoes because the west will use it as a pretext that Iran is after ICBM technology to hit them.

It is already being speculated that Iran possesses ICBM potential after their Safri SLV.

Iran launches new satellite using ballistic missile technology

Iran developing ICBM capability
Navid was launched into orbit by a missile launch-vehicle called Safir, or Ambassador. The IRNA said Safir has 20 percent more launch power compared to earlier versions Iran used to launch satellites into orbit.
According to an Iranian website Irannuc.ir, Safir is a ballistic missile launch vehicle and can be converted into use for launching intercontinental missiles. The Washington Post reports U.S. State Department officials have confirmed this claim, saying the technology used in launching Safir rocket was "critical" to developing long-range ballistic missiles. The U.S.officials also say Iran's action violated a 2010 U.N. resolution prohibiting Iran from conducting launches using ballistic missile technology.
The West has for long been watching Iran's space program with growing unease because its emphasis on developing ballistic missile technology will give Iran the capability to fire ICBMs carrying nuclear warheads. According to the U.S. and Israel, Iran is trying to develop nuclear weapons and the ability to deliver them using intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) technology.

If you give a glass half full to someone, some will say the glass is half full and some will say the glass is half empty. You obviously belong to the latter category and propagate negativity everywhere. Thus, it is futile to reason with people with such mental capacity as you.

He merely expressed his opinion, whether he is right or wrong. Civilized conduct calls for accepting an opposing view point without resorting to personal attacks and insult.

Don't worry, at current pace, Iran would achieve much more than its counterparts. And your Turkey just launched one satellite till now as far as I recall, while Iran already launched 3 spy satellites with payloads of 50-100 kg

Irrelevant.."hey look my d.ck is bigger than yours buddy" mentality..very childish at least

On the topic, thats great news for Iran..Good going guys..its like Iran is sanctionproof :)

The plan is to keep sending heavier and heavier sats by bringing in new generation of SLVs every few years. A new launch base is being built for sending a 1 ton sat (scheduled for around 2020). They're now behind schedule. Our Simorgh SLV was supposed to be out last year, but it will be out this year. Also, by 2016 we should be able to send sats into orbits of up to 36,000 KM.

Thats some nice piece

Abii, is this launch base at Semnan or at some other place? you have any info about that? Because as far as i know there might be 3 launch site locations..One is at Semnan, the other one is four kilometres northeast of Iran’s existing launch facility at Semnan and another facility two and a half kilometers to the southwest; between the new site and the existing one. May be they are some supporting bases?

I found those infos here

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/WO1003/S00147.htm

Correct me people, I'm just saying this without checking, but the weight of the sat doesn't have anything to do with how long it stays up. It's how high of an orbit you send it to.
Nope mate, the life span of satellites depends largely on their size , or to be precise , it depends on how much liquid fuel they carry aboard

Last edited by a moderator:
The road of one thousand mile start with a step while they're already half way to reach destiny, what I hope to see is that Iran and the west get out of this cold war to a warmer relationship since this will bring stabilization into the region let's pray for it.

Thats some nice piece

Abii, is this launch base at Semnan or at some other place? you have any info about that? Because as far as i know there might be 3 launch site locations..One is at Semnan, the other one is four kilometres northeast of Iran’s existing launch facility at Semnan and another facility two and a half kilometers to the southwest; between the new site and the existing one. May be they are some supporting bases?

I found those infos here

Imagery of Construction of New Launch Site in Iran | Scoop News

Nope mate, the life span of satellites depends largely on their size , or to be precise , it depends on how much liquid fuel they carry aboard

Interesting, didn't know that.
But wouldn't a higher orbit also help? I know nothing about these things as I'm not a science student and barely passed Physics in high school, but in my mind it makes total sense b/c at higher orbit there would be less gravity, less pressure etc...

And yeah, they're all at Semnan. There must be smtg special about the location. All I know is that Semnan is pretty much the northern tip of the Kavir Desert (Dasht-e-Kavir).

(10 minutes laterrrr)

okay I had to google this out of curiosity and here's more info:

Between 2009 and early 2012, Iran fired four of its Safir space launch vehicles and succesfully placed three satellites into orbit - Omid, Rasad and Navid. All were launched from a missile base in Semnan Province in the north of the country. All reached orbits inclined at 55°-56° to the equator.
The inclinations result from geography, Iran had little in the way of choice because of the location of the only launch area with facilities to assemble and launch Safir.

Semnan's missile facilities were reportedly built with Chinese help sometime in the 1980s. At the time, orbital missions were a long way from appearing on the agenda. The site was probably chosen because of closeness to Teheran (in the region of 200 kilometres) and distance from what might be regarded as unfriendly countries. It also had the benefit of a long range overland within Iran and a range extension over the Arabian Sea was available.

Planning a satellite launch has to allow for where various items of hardware such as spent rocket stages and protective fairings fall to Earth. It also has to allow for the contingency of a launch being cut short and rocket hardware falling back to Earth at some unpredictable point. For these reasons, the first part of the ascent ground track has to be kept within Iran's borders or over international waters. Risking debris falling on another country is not a good idea even though a neighbouring nation might be quite friendly. Relationships can change and there is always the risk of injury or material damage.

Taking these into account, there is a limited range of launch azimuths available from Semnan and it equates to orbital inclinations between 56° and 64°. For any launch site, the most efficient inclination is the lowest than can be achieved as it can take full advantage of the rotational velocity available at the Earth's surface. The 56° inclination used by Iran to date fits this scenario perfectly, being the best available from the site.

A 56° inclination ground track is almost totally over Iranian territory until the final few kilometres over a small corner of Pakistan before crossing the Arabian Sea. At that point, an accident would probably avoid fragments reaching the Earth's surface to cause serious damage because they would fall from above the atmosphere and most would burn up on re-entry.

IranNewSite1.jpg

Future Needs

Much of Iran's talk about its satellite payloads relates to imaging from orbit and a significant part of the initial effort is being directed in that way. Given the political scene in the Middle East and the fact that Israel has an active photo-reconnaissance programme, it is reasonable to assume that Iran has a similar goal.

Add to that a new rocket, Simorgh, that will need a purpose-built new launch pad, then the scene is set to look for a new launch location to handle it and provide access to a range of orbital inclinations more suited to the satellites it is intended to launch.

In technical terms, the ideal inclination for imaging is that of a sun-synchronous orbit, around 97°, so that passes over a given area on successive days are under near identical lighting conditions and there is minimal variation in the lighting over the year. Israel has demonstrated something different. Launch direction was dictated by geography. Offeq satellites orbit at a retrograde 143° inclination because the only launch azimuths avalable to Israel were westward over the Mediterranean Sea. Any others would have taken the ascending vehicle directly over one or more unfriendly neighbour's territory during the rocket-powered phase of the mission.

The complement of the inclination is 37°. The 143°/37° slot gives a relatively-long stay-time over the Middle East with at least two consecutive passes per day over the area.

Location for a New site

The general thrust of news reports is that the site is to be in the south-east of Iran near the coast. The map shows a representative location in the area described and the sort of inclination values that can be achieved from there. Knowledge of the precise location will have to wait until Iran, or some analyst, tells us where it is.
The range of inclinations it can reach is between 45° and 97°. The fit with potential requirements is close but not quite ideal.

Sun-synchronous orbit is possible without crossing anyone else's territory during the ascent, as is a similar inclination to Israel's Offeq constellation. In the latter case, an Iranian reconsat would follow similar ground tracks to Offeq but would travel in the opposite direction and reach slightly higher latitudes.

IranNewSite2.jpg

The author goes on to say that he doesn't think geosynchronous orbital launch is doable by Iran b/c:

Within the range of launch azimuths available and the indicative one-tonne capacity to 1000 kilometres, geosynchronous orbit is not attainable from Iranian territory.

The inclination change required is beyond the capacity of Iran's current rocketry if the payload is to provide a meaningful service. As a minimum, it would be necesary to develop and manufacture something in the size range of Russia's Zenit or India's GSLV.

I don't want a 1 ton sat by 2020. Send a few 300-500 kg sats and I'd be a happy Iranian.

The road of one thousand mile start with a step while they're already half way to reach destiny, what I hope to see is that Iran and the west get out of this cold war to a warmer relationship since this will bring stabilization into the region let's pray for it.
Inshallah.

Edit: just realized that this was the first time in my life that I said that word lol

rapprochement with the West should be on everybody's agenda and I think the Americans are starting to want it as well. They said Iran has a right to nuclear energy for the first time a few weeks ago and the new sanctions have made the Iranian regime take a look at its current path a little harder.

The Iran of 2012 is a different beast. We will never be a US protectorate like we were under the Shah and relationship with the West, removal of the sanctions etc... will make our economy literally skyrocket.

Last edited by a moderator:
well actually in your case, you dont need a satellite with long life span imho..Of course for cost/effective you need it but, You have the tech to launch and you have the budget for it..but for technological purposes, i agree with you..300-500 kg satellites are more than enough, and as far as it seems, you are progressing really fast and will achieve that goal in the near future

Iran has done absolutely nothing wrong against the West. It's aggressive western imperialism which has tortured Iran for many many decades. A long story..

" FAJR " actually its a nice name, thts indicating to " Muslim Ummah " tht wake up dont kept sleep its time of Fajr

Good work Iran. You guys have advanced a great deal in science and space research. Hope to see more from you guys in future. :tup:

I see...
and when is your moon landing?
I assume mid August.

Whats the joke? They are still doing well despite facing hostility from the West. You guys have all the support u can get, yet I don't see you being involved in anything productive, other than flooding the world with radical ideologies and militants.

You can see a complete list of sats waiting to be launched here.

If I had to guess, I would say our space program would get a 'lift off' (see what I did there? lol) with additional funding. We like to follow the Russian model of building everything cheap and dirty. This is one area where they shouldn't do this. We need to have some juicy sats up there by 2020. I think they're so scared of having a failed launch (with all the attention Iran gets) that they're delaying new SLVs as long as possible. The North Korean failed rocket had similar specs to the new Simorgh SLV so that should teach them a thing or two as well.

damn you beat me lol

well , I heard from one of engineer that our Country already tested Simorgh SLV , and the test was successful but they didn't declare it because of some reasons ...

and I heard that sending human to space need " 12 thousand billion tuman " budget ( دوازه هزار میلیارد تومان ) and our leaders still discussing about this ...

another thing , maybe we would going to lunch a satellite to moon's orbit before sending human to space ( just because this is easier )

there was something weird for me because in the TV program called "soraia" one of the iran space agency members told that we are planing for 5 meter imaging satellite!!!
in 2020 we will send a 1.8 ton satellite for our television channels...

there was something weird for me because in the TV program called "soraia" one of the iran space agency members told that we are planing for 5 meter imaging satellite!!!
in 2020 we will send a 1.8 ton satellite for our television channels...

this is our goal .... maybe we wouldn't accomplish this goal till 2020

I see...
and when is your moon landing?
I assume mid August.

I dont know what Saudi people have pain from Iranians did they got their foot on ur tail.

im proud of my Iranian brothers atleast they r staring in American eyes and mentally outnumbered all enemys alone

cn u just nt wish them good luck, atleast they r ur Muslim brothers

Back
Top Bottom