What's new

Iran, Pakistan to launch gas pipeline project

M.harris

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and his Pakistani counterpart Asif Ali Zardari will officially inaugurate the Iran-Pakistan gas pipeline project on Monday, Press TV reported on Sunday.
The $7.5-billion project will be inaugurated at a ceremony in the border city of Chahbahar.

Iran has constructed 900 km of the 1,600-km pipeline on its soil, and both Iranian and Pakistani firms will undertake the construction of the remaining part in Pakistan.

On completion, Iran will export 21.5 million cubic metres of natural gas to Pakistan on a daily basis.

Despite strong opposition by the US, Zardari earlier said that his energy-starved country would pursue the gas pipeline project and would persuade the critics that Pakistan needs energy.

Pakistan and Iran have held a series of talks on the project for nearly two decades, but it was finalised during the recent visit to Tehran by Zardari.

Pakistani media reported that Tehran had agreed to provide a $500-million loan to Islamabad to partly finance the construction of the pipeline on the Pakistan side.

Both countries have agreed to complete the project by mid-2014.

President Zardari will be accompanied by a big delegation of ministers, members of parliament, political leaders, senior officials and journalists, officials said.

The Pakistani foreign ministry said several heads of state have been invited for the ceremony.

A foreign ministry spokesman, however, rejected the impression that Pakistan was in a fix over the project.

"We are very clear about this project. It is in our national interest to go ahead with this project," he was quoted as saying by Xinhua.

On pressure from the US, the spokesman said Islamabad knows about some concerns but "we expect and hope that all our friends including the US would show more understanding on the issue".

This time it might happen InshaAllah coz Iranian are also doing the construction till our trunk lines.

Its not easy to resist a barracade of American pressure, it takes a lot of political will and courage. I read America threatened Pakistan directly with sanctions if they went ahead with the project.
My hats off to the Pakistani leaders for standing up for their national interest and sovereignty.. Although its still not finished, so its still too early to celebrate. A lot can happen in the mean time.
But hopefully it will be finished, and we can deepen our ties further. :)

Pakistan ne hard negotiate nahi kiya, warna Iran, marta kiya na karta wali position me hai......ek saal free me gas de deta.

Pakistan ne hard negotiate nahi kiya, warna Iran, marta kiya na karta wali position me hai......ek saal free me gas de deta.

no that would have not been fair to them and we should not take advantage of some one when he is down

"thank you come again":cool:

Its not easy to resist a barracade of American pressure, it takes a lot of political will and courage. I read America threatened Pakistan directly with sanctions if they went ahead with the project.
My hats off to the Pakistani leaders for standing up for their national interest and sovereignty.. Although its still not finished, so its still too early to celebrate. A lot can happen in the mean time.
But hopefully it will be finished, and we can deepen our ties further. :)

Any muslim country who enjoys nuclear capibility or dominancy of some sort do experience "pressures" like these.They never wanted to see us united.Iran and Pakistan's affirmitive relationship is very important for the region.Strong Iran will not only save Pakistan's backside by blocking routes for India for oil supply to the ships by sea route during warfare,but also strong economic relatioship will bring strength to both of us.
Americans are well aware that our unity will not only strenghten us,but it will also be a best example for shia-sunni unity...if Pakistan and Iran will for strong bond,then arab countries and countries of gulf region will also take part,whether they will like it or not,they know that they can easily engulf us one by one,but if we will form a strong bond,then we will be hard target for them.no matter what people say about Iran,I do salute your leader's sincerity and intelligence to deal with western world:toast_sign:

Who the hell wants to fight--strong relationship with each other and moving ahead for prosperity should be first priority on list:toast_sign:

Civilians don't want to Fight but the fact is we people are fighting with each other since 1947. Further, I do not see end to it in near future. One can only Hope & Pray that both nations can set aside there differences, exist together peacefully & prosper.

Civilians don't want to Fight but the fact is we people are fighting with each other since 1947. Further, I do not see end to it in near future. One can only Hope & Pray that both nations can set aside there differences, exist together peacefully & prosper.

we need to educate our generation about nuclear war and it's effect--both countries posses nuclear capability,dear we cannot afford nuclear war at any cost...we need to forget past and strive for best,safe future,for whole time we let Americans and British to play with us for their benefit but this time,we cannot afford this war--isn't this a hope for me that an Indian resident name Parul of Dehli is thinking as same as I am??Today we are few,tommorrow we will be more Inshallah and prosperous fate will be of ours...:toast_sign:

India is one of factor in delaying in project fulfillment ....

Back
Top Bottom