What's new

Iran Navy to build aircraft carriers

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
Russian_aircraft_carrier_Kuznetsov.jpg

Iran's Deputy Navy Commander Captain Mansour Maqsoudlou has announced the country's plan to design and manufacture aircraft carriers.
The initial designs for building the carriers have been approved and the process of research, design and manufacture will start soon, Captain Maqsoudlou told IRNA on Wednesday.

The Iranian commander pointed to the Navy's capacities to accomplish the task despite the time-consuming nature of aircraft carrier building.

The Navy has set an agenda to produce vessels of different classes, some of which are being mass-produced and others being under study, Maqsoodlou pointed out.

He reiterated the Navy's ability to upgrade the equipment and systems in its fleet.

Since the victory of the 1979 Islamic Revolution in Iran, the country has embarked on a campaign for self-sufficiency in the defense industry and launched numerous military projects.

Last year in February, the Iranian Navy unveiled its first domestically-manufactured destroyer, Jamaran, in the waters of the Persian Gulf.

The 1,420-ton destroyer, equipped with modern radars and other electronic warfare capabilities, patrols the southern waters of the Persian Gulf.

In January, Iran successfully test-fired the mid-range, surface-to-air Hawk missile, and the Iranian Defense Ministry delivered new cruise missile systems to the Navy.

The systems, designed and manufactured by Iranian experts, are capable of spotting and destroying different targets at sea.

Yes we can .... :tup:

Last edited:
all the best guys but i have few questions.
1. Iran will need huge money for AC, where Iran will get huge money ? it is not like around $300 million, more than that.
2. that AC will need Huge warships coverage. As far i know Iran does not have that much and many of them are outdated.
3. Even if Iran has AC, Iran will also need Navel varient Aircrafts. So what is the plan about it ?

1. Iran will need huge money for AC, where Iran will get huge money ? it is not like around $300 million, more than that.
2. that AC will need Huge warships coverage. As far i know Iran does not have that much and many of them are outdated.
3. Even if Iran has AC, Iran will also need Navel varient Aircrafts. So what is the plan about it ?
I don`t khnow maybe other Iranian khnow.However Iranins are very rich and Sanctions will not damage them much.;) :) :)

I don't know about the source of above news, but in my source from 5 hours ago, Iran's Navy chief Commander Habibullah Sayyari said building an aircraft carrier is possible in our current state, there has been some studies and plans and they still exist and in the case of receiving an order we will start the project.
نیروی دریایی ارتش: طرح‌هايي براي ساخت ناو هواپيمابر داریم

so there is no order, and also we don't need an aircraft carrier, at least not in the near future.

All the Best to Iran.but I think they should first modify their current fleet and they need bigger ships.mo offence guys,but Jamaran is light Frigate and I'm still wondering if Iran has some heavier modern frigates and destroyers.plus,they need more quality subs as present fleet of subs are not consists of long endurance subs.of course their potential to make heavier weapons is huge.these are the things which should consists of a CBG..

we are going to build a plastic carrier !! :lol:

1- there will be no problem with the money , iran is rich enough . we have abt 60 bl$ of non-oil exports

2- there are tens of those projects underway as an example sahand which is an advanced frigate is going to be unveiled soon . so till the AC is built , tenz of frigates and destroyers are built too .

3- that will also be not a difficult task as we can convert our f-14s . also there are some iranian fighter projects in which they will consider the issue .

Frankly i don't see a need for an aircraft carrier, the basic purpose of a CBG is power projection;
Iran isn't planning to do that, or am i missing something?

Last edited:
we are going to build a plastic carrier !! :lol:

1- there will be no problem with the money , iran is rich enough . we have abt 60 bl$ of non-oil exports

2- there are tens of those projects underway as an example sahand which is an advanced frigate is going to be unveiled soon . so till the AC is built , tenz of frigates and destroyers are built too .

3- that will also be not a difficult task as we can convert our f-14s . also there are some iranian fighter projects in which they will consider the issue .

ACs are a waste for you as of this moment
Why not More advance destroyers & subs
For eg
Your navy is calling 1,420 ton destroyer
But it has very low tonnage to be called a destroyer
My view is that you should build more advanced subs & Destroyers

I think plans to build just one isn't bad. It is important to have few long term projects while building other ships and submarine, buying some, side by side.

Technologies developed for one platform will get trickled to other fields too.

Country has to develop in parallel. Most of the countries did so and doing so. Becoming more and more self sufficient from the start is always good as it will pay off and next generation won't be cursing you.

I think plans to build just one isn't bad. It is important to have few long term projects while building other ships and submarine, buying some, side by side.

Country has to develop in parallel. Most of the countries did so and doing so. Becoming more and more self sufficient from the start is always good as it will pay off and next generation won't be cursing you.

thats exactly what we are trying to do:tup:

ACs are a waste for you as of this moment
Why not More advance destroyers & subs
For eg
Your navy is calling 1,420 ton destroyer
But it has very low tonnage to be called a destroyer
My view is that you should build more advanced subs & Destroyers

actually thats a mistake the writer made.its a frigate even by Iranian Navy's term.nobody calls a 1400 ton ship a destroyer as it can't carry enough amount of weapons.see the frigate,it only carries 4 C-802..even SLN SAYURA,which is ex Indian Coast Guard OPV Sarayu can carry about same..same ship,but operating for different role.but nobody calls Sayura a destroyer.I'd not even call it a frigate.

some few points:
Iran was previously interested in buying Admiral Gorshkov Aircraft Craft carrier but India won the bid.
it would cost around 5-10 billion dollars, if Iran wants to build a good modern huge aircraft carrier.
it may take maybe 10 years to complete this project. consider designing, building structures, electronic equipments, ... so it would be a long term project, and other projects, such as manufacturing suitable aircrafts for AC, and .... can be finished by the end time of the project.
Iran's submarine are pretty good, and Iran is building new frigates(Mowj class) very rapidly. So, it won't be a problem at the end of the project.

Iran may ask for INS Virat, after she retires.(just my thought)

Handling and studying of INS Virat will give Iran much needed expereince

:tup:
Thats the key point here.

Back
Top Bottom