What's new

INS VIKRANT TO GO UNDER HAMMER

Abingdonboy

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Sixteen years after she was decommissioned, the Indian Navy’s first aircraft carrier INS Vikrant — now known as Indian Museum Ship (IMS) Vikrant — is all set to go under the hammer. The reason for its impending e-auction is that the Maharashtra Government has failed to convert the erstwhile queen of Indian Navy into a permanent museum.

INS Vikrant, which the Indian Navy bought it from Royal Navy as part of Indo-British defence agreement in 1957, played a key role during the 1971 Indo-Pak War that led to the liberation of Bangladesh. She was decommissioned in 1997 after 36 years of service.

After she was decommissioned, a museum was opened on board the aircraft carrier and she came to be re-christened IMS Vikrant. However, the IMS did not find a permanent berth, with the Maharashtra Government — despite having evinced interest in converting her into a permanent museum facility — failing to deliver its promise.

Talking to mediapersons on board aircraft carrier INS Viraat, on the eve of Navy Day, Vice Admiral Shekhar Sinha, the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief of Western Naval Command, said on Tuesday: “It is sad, but true. The e-auctioning process has been initiated... It pains me to tell you this”. “Personally speaking, I am sad, as I was among the last officers to have flown on board Vikrant,” Vice Admiral Sinha said.

“Till now we (Navy) managed her...but now the State Government has made it clear that it cannot support her further...so the MoD (Ministry of Defence) has decided to put her up for auction,” Vice-Admiral Sinha said. The disposal bid of IMS Vikrant on “As is where is basis” will open on the MSTC Limited’s e-commerce bidding site on December 18 at 12 noon and close on the same day at 4 pm; the bidders have been asked to deposit a pre-bid an earnest money deposit (EMD) of Rs 3.10 crore before participating in the e-auction.

INS Vikrant to go under hammer

With funds from central govt the museum should have been maintained

..When was Congress govt. genuine about matters of defense or matter on national interest??? ..looking for a kick back here too...
Cure of all evil is..... Modi..

We should just gift this symbol of freedom to Bangladesh, Because having this ship docked permanently on Bangladesh's port will remind them of their brutal history and Indian contribution towards their liberation. In which where Bangladesh came to be, Just my 2 cents. Let the Bangladeshi's appreciate this majestic ship, Because these congress leaders have become napoonsak denying us Indians our glory and heritage.

..When was Congress govt. genuine about matters of defense or matter on national interest??? ..looking for a kick back here too...
Cure of all evil is..... Modi..
To be honest this has little to do with the defence/security of India. It is a cultural issue now more than anything.

It is a damn shame though. However in many nations such defence museums are owned/operated by private trusts/entities.

Why doesn't the navy want to maintain it?
Why should they (a fighting force) have to spend their funds (meant to further their fighting abilities) to maintain a vessel they retired years ago? This simply isn't the job of a fighting arm- it is the job of the civilian administration.

Waah..Why can't this Govt allocate funds for maintaining it?

They take all the credit when a battle is won but they just can't show the respect to the tools which made it possible?

Its sad for the sailors too who operated the vessel.

Infact the Govt should market the role played by the Carrier to generate enthusiasm among the youth to join the Armed Forces.

Sad indeed!
INS Vikrant isn't just a ship, it is a glorious chapter in Indian Navy's history.
Political parties spend copiuos amounts of money on statues and parks in memory of their late party leaders but it is a shame that there is no money to preserve the iconic ship.

We should just gift this symbol of freedom to Bangladesh, Because having this ship docked permanently on Bangladesh's port will remind them of their brutal history and Indian contribution towards their liberation. In which where Bangladesh came to be, Just my 2 cents. Let the Bangladeshi's appreciate this majestic ship, Because these congress leaders have become napoonsak denying us Indians our glory and heritage.
Completely agree.
If we are not maintaining it, let us atleast gift it to Bangladesh.

Gift that to modi.. He'll preserve that ship in Gujarat :p
Modi should instruct Gujarat to Buy that ship at the Auction.

It will be a great moral victory and additional weapon during elections :D
The world doesn't begin and end with Modi. He is not some demi-god, he is a politician running for office- THAT IS ALL. To try and make out he is the solutions for all of India's individual ails no matter how trivial is beyond absurd. One man will not fix all that is wrong in India- you do understand this don't you?

:lol: classic stawman argument from pseudo sickulars.

Clearly you have nothing intelligent to say except Rant and vent your frustration. Go visit a shrink, but do not reply to my posts with such nonsense.

If you think I suffer fools gladly, you are mistaken.
Stop painting everyone as pseudo sickular or whatnot.
And please stop bringing Modi in every thread.
What abingdonboy said is right. He is one man, not God. Stop looking at anyone like a messiah.

Back
Top Bottom