What's new

Indigenous Nirbhay missile to be test-fired again: DRDO

Hulk

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
BENGALURU: The glitches in indigenous subsonic cruise missile 'Nirbhay' have been identified and the missile is likely to be test-fired again in May or June after incorporating changes suggested by a committee that probed the earlier test failures, the DRDO said on Wednesday.

The missile, with a range of 750-1,000 km, has been successfully test-fired only once in the past, out of the total four tests.

"Only one of the four test firings of the missile were successful. It does not mean the missile got ditched on its own, but it changed its course," Defence Research and Development Organisation's chief S. Christopher said at a press conference at the ongoing 'Aero India 2017' here.

"One of the tests was successful, while three were unsuccessful... we had to abort the mission as it went beyond the safe zone," Christopher said.

He said the suggestions of a committee that investigated the defect in the missile system have since been incorporated.

"In May or June, we will have another test flight," he said.

Nirbhay was test-fired the last time in December 2016, but the attempt was aborted midway as the missile changed course. Due to fear that the missile could hit land, it was destroyed within minutes of take-off.

The first test flight, conducted on March 12, 2013, failed as the missile fell after only 20 minutes of flight.

The second test on October 17, 2014, was successful as the missile met all desired parameters.

During the third test on October 16, 2015, the missile nose-dived into the Bay of Bengal after covering only 128 km.

The cruise missile is expected to supplement the India-Russian joint venture, the supersonic cruise missile BrahMos, that can carry warheads up to 290 km.

The two-stage indigenous missile is six metres long, with a diameter of 0.52 metres, wing span of 2.7 metres and launch weight of about 1,500 kg.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/nat...sile-to-be-test-fired-again-drdo-1570908.html

A cruise missile is difficult molestone to achieve. But not sooo difficult i think we are just being unlucky.
Fortune will favour us this time. And in a few years with a few more test it will back bone of our missile offence.

Lmaooooo

Best of luck....y'all better now leave houses on the day of test. You never know when the failed nirbhay shows up :lol:

lol, remember my friend it has enough range, might hit your house as well... i will pray that it does not.

Well knowing the failure the indians and their DRDO is, I pray the same :lol:

I don't want nirbhay failure to fail once again and deviate from its path..and hitting innocent people in their houses :rofl:

Well knowing the failure the indians and their DRDO is, I pray the same :lol:

I don't want nirbhay failure to fail once again and deviate from its path..and hitting innocent people in their houses :rofl:

The self-destruct function is working 100%, the last one was denoted mid path, so rest assured! civilians and the like will not be harmed.

so when is the crash oh sorry launch date :-) @Nilgiri

Initially our PSLV/GSLV had similar issues but now look at them.

from Mars missions to 104 satellites in one go.

same with our ballistic missile program. failed a lot initially but now its in different league from where it was started.

when you try to make stuff on your own, failures will happens. thats how the learning curve goes.

i wouldnt mind if it crashes more during "tests" but it should work perfectly on the battlefield :tup::tup::tup:

Initially our PSLV/GSLV had similar issues but now look at them.

from Mars missions to 104 satellites in one go.

same with our ballistic missile program. failed a lot initially but now its in different league from where it was started.

when you try to make stuff on your own, failures will happens. thats how the learning curve goes.

i wouldnt mind if it crashes more during "tests" but it should work perfectly on the battlefield :tup::tup::tup:
mate i know the failures are stepping stones toward success and i wish you good luck for the launch
this was a light hearted comment directed toward @Nilgiri :P

While you keep laughing at us we will prepare.
While you keep laughing at us we will develop.
While you keep mocking us we will inovate.
While you keep criticising us we will improve.
And we will succeed, remember there is no end for inovation, improvement and development. But a time will come when we will be so far away from you that you wont be able to catch up.

On the point, there were reports about wings not getting deployed properly, does that mean it has control systems problem or hydraulics problem? Any idea?

While you keep laughing at us we will prepare.
While you keep laughing at us we will develop.
While you keep mocking us we will inovate.
While you keep criticising us we will improve.
And we will succeed, remember there is no end for inovation, improvement and development. But a time will come when we will be so far away from you that you wont be able to catch up.

On the point, there were reports about wings not getting deployed properly, does that mean it has control systems problem or hydraulics problem? Any idea?
When a Pakistani laughs at you,don't mind.They are tired of laughing at themselves.Even US UK having failures for their systems..This is nothing to be ashamed of..Failure is the key to success..

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom