What's new

India’s role in Afghanistan very critical: Gen Dunford

kurup

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
s1-reutersmedia-net.jpg

India has a critical role to play in Afghanistan as it is the most important partner of the war-torn country in the region, the commander of the US-Nato forces in Kabul has said.“I think India’s role in Afghanistan is critical. India is a very close partner to Afghanistan, and from an economic perspective and from a trade perspective, probably their most important partner in the region right now,” General Joseph Dunford.

“They (India) are not providing lethal aid to Afghanistan, as a result of the dynamics in the region. Pakistan would certainly be concerned with that,” Dunford said in response to a question during a Congressional hearing on Afghanistan.

Dunford said India can play a very important role, diplomatically and economically in particular.
“In fact they are doing that. They have a very close relationship with the Afghan people and even with the Afghan security forces,” he said.

“They have assisted in the sense of providing some nonlethal support, helicopters and parts, and some training that will help our efforts to grow Afghan security forces. So I think India is a very important partner in that regard,” Dunford said.

Dunford also said the relationship between Afghanistan and Pakistan is going to be important for the US to achieve American ends.

“Over the last year I’ve been encouraged by a couple of things. At the political level, Prime Minister Sharif and President Karzai have met four times. That’s probably unprecedented over the last several years in terms of engagement at that level,” he said.

“We’ve also had an effective military-to-military relationship, between the Afghans and the Pakistanis that we’ve tried to facilitate. It’s been in fits and starts, frankly, in 2013 for a variety of reasons.

“But I met about six weeks ago with the chief of the Army staff in Pakistan, General Raheel Sharif. He’s committed to improving the relationship between Afghanistan and Pakistan,” he said. Dunford said he is encouraged by the conversation that’s focused on two particular areas.

“First and foremost, the ministers of interior have met to discuss the issue of extremism, and also the broader border management issues that start with the political, economic and the security issues,” he said.

“I wouldn’t tell you that we’re weeks or months away from a true partnership between the two countries. But I think we have got to the point where they recognise that it’s in their common interest to deal with the threat of extremism and to improve the regime along the border,” the general said.

India’s role in Afghanistan very critical: Gen Dunford | idrw.org

s1-reutersmedia-net.jpg

India has a critical role to play in Afghanistan as it is the most important partner of the war-torn country in the region, the commander of the US-Nato forces in Kabul has said.“I think India’s role in Afghanistan is critical. India is a very close partner to Afghanistan, and from an economic perspective and from a trade perspective, probably their most important partner in the region right now,” General Joseph Dunford.

“They (India) are not providing lethal aid to Afghanistan, as a result of the dynamics in the region. Pakistan would certainly be concerned with that,” Dunford said in response to a question during a Congressional hearing on Afghanistan.

Dunford said India can play a very important role, diplomatically and economically in particular.
“In fact they are doing that. They have a very close relationship with the Afghan people and even with the Afghan security forces,” he said.

“They have assisted in the sense of providing some nonlethal support, helicopters and parts, and some training that will help our efforts to grow Afghan security forces. So I think India is a very important partner in that regard,” Dunford said.

Dunford also said the relationship between Afghanistan and Pakistan is going to be important for the US to achieve American ends.

“Over the last year I’ve been encouraged by a couple of things. At the political level, Prime Minister Sharif and President Karzai have met four times. That’s probably unprecedented over the last several years in terms of engagement at that level,” he said.

“We’ve also had an effective military-to-military relationship, between the Afghans and the Pakistanis that we’ve tried to facilitate. It’s been in fits and starts, frankly, in 2013 for a variety of reasons.

“But I met about six weeks ago with the chief of the Army staff in Pakistan, General Raheel Sharif. He’s committed to improving the relationship between Afghanistan and Pakistan,” he said. Dunford said he is encouraged by the conversation that’s focused on two particular areas.

“First and foremost, the ministers of interior have met to discuss the issue of extremism, and also the broader border management issues that start with the political, economic and the security issues,” he said.

“I wouldn’t tell you that we’re weeks or months away from a true partnership between the two countries. But I think we have got to the point where they recognise that it’s in their common interest to deal with the threat of extremism and to improve the regime along the border,” the general said.

India’s role in Afghanistan very critical: Gen Dunford | idrw.org

Consistent with american 'double speak' and 'double cross' !

Provide CBSE and ICSE board schools in Afghanistan with custom syllabus... that will be the biggest support that India can provide.

well it's a very good thought .

how many ICSE and CBSE schools does India itself needs ?

Primary and Secondary education has been ignored big time by our establishment ...

Education has not kept up with population and economic expansion ...

We need to help ourselves before we start helping others ....

Provide CBSE and ICSE board schools in Afghanistan with custom syllabus... that will be the biggest support that India can provide.
Pakistan should have concentrated more on Afghanistan's development and winning the hearts and minds of the Afghans rather than aiding and abetting the Afghan Taliban for their one and only purpose - to establish 'strategic depth' in Afghanistan which is an ephemeral and short term goal .

This will never work out and it seems they've shot themselves in the foot.

In contrast, India is going about doing the right things which will pay in the long run.

In contrast, India is going about doing the right things which will pay in the long run.
If I was to create a wish list for Indian involvement in Afganistan.

It would be:
1> Setting up more schools and colleges in Afghanistan, and specifically ensuring a tolerant 21st century syllabus for Afghans
2> Providing afghans training for teachers and nurses in India
3> Helping Afghan government setting up PSU structures in Mining and processing
4> Providing Afghan Military training support and intel training
5> Indian help in setting up banks and investment ventures for afghans.
6> Scholarships to afghan students, especially to empower afghan women in Indian Universities, including special 6month programs in IIM and IIT for afghans without the entrance process.
7>Surveillance and communication equipment to law enforcement and military forces.
8> Training support to VVIP security personal in the NSG institution
9> Agricultural infrastructural support i.e. tractors, tillers, land movers, harvesters etc.
10> Close co-operation with the Afghan intelligence forces to secure thier national interests.

Last edited:
^^Charity begins at home.
I am not suggesting stop all developmental work in india and give everything to Afghanistan. Ensuring a stable and friendly Afghanistan is in Indian interest.

There's no such phenomenon as 'friendship' in diplomacy. Every nation bats for its own interests and rightly so.

I'm not allowed to post a link yet, newbie restrictions. But you can google: Will stand by Pakistan in case of war with India or US: Karzai

@sandy_3126: Don't get me wrong mate, I'm glad India is in a position to assist Afghanistan. But atm, our present engagements with them are more than enough, for we have enough issues to address in our own nation and so, its not feasible for us to deliver on the points you mentioned above.

There's no such phenomenon as 'friendship' in diplomacy. Every nation bats for its own interests and rightly so.

I'm not allowed to post a link yet, newbie restrictions. But you can google: Will stand by Pakistan in case of war with India or US: Karzai

@sandy_3126: Don't get me wrong mate, I'm glad India is in a position to assist Afghanistan. But atm, our present engagements with them are more than enough, for we have enough issues to address in our own nation and so, its not feasible for us to deliver on the points you mentioned above.
Karzai's comment was playing to the audience... India diminishing strategic role in Afghanistan is of grave concern. Overtly, Indian developmental work needs to on the forefront paving the way for deeper strategic ties with kabul.

There's absolutely no 'diminishing' of our role in Afghanistan. There are all sorts of aids being provided to Afghanistan, primarily financial. India has already invested US$ 10.8 billion in Afghanistan as of 2012 and some projects to be started include establishment of ports which can act as a hub for transit goods, plants by Steel Authority of India, etc etc.

Also, on a recently conducted summit by India and Russia on issues relating to Afghanistan, I guess India actually places confidence in the competency of the Afghan forces once the NATO withdraws it's forces. We are providing them with choppers and other infrastructural support, and military hardware as well.

Really, for a developing nation with a number of issues of its own, we are actually assisting to our max.

PS. As said, not eligible yet to post links, so if you need to verify the above statements, you'll need to google yourself.

There's absolutely no 'diminishing' of our role in Afghanistan. There are all sorts of aids being provided to Afghanistan, primarily financial. India has already invested US$ 10.8 billion in Afghanistan as of 2012 and some projects to be started include establishment of ports which can act as a hub for transit goods, plants by Steel Authority of India, etc etc.

Also, on a recently conducted summit by India and Russia on issues relating to Afghanistan, I guess India actually places confidence in the competency of the Afghan forces once the NATO withdraws it's forces. We are providing them with choppers and other infrastructural support, and military hardware as well.

Really, for a developing nation with a number of issues of its own, we are actually assisting to our max.

PS. As said, not eligible yet to post links, so if you need to verify the above statements, you'll need to google yourself.
I will be happy if we invest more in their education system.. does not need too much money.. we should start few flagship schools in kabul (DPS can do) not everywhere.

I will be happy if we invest more in their education system.. does not need too much money.. we should start few flagship schools in kabul (DPS can do) not everywhere.

DPS is owned by Salman Khurshid, our Foreign Minister anyways.

Back
Top Bottom