What's new

India’s first nuclear submarine INS Arihant ready for operations, passes deep sea tests

We will need 4 SSBNs to carry out 24/7/365 deterrent patrols with one Ssbn active at any given time.

Till that happenes the nuclear triad, is incomplete.

do you mean 3 subs out of 4 will be in hanger for refit??? while 1 is active

Since India has embarked on the doctrine to fight a two front war involving Pakistan & China, India should have more underwater assets.

doesn't need... if there going to be a two frontal war, then it's going to be WW3 with China Busy with Japs,US,VietNam and Philipines and some other countries... they can't send more subs to IOR,

do you mean 3 subs out of 4 will be in hanger for refit??? while 1 is active

Not like that, but
On average in RN.
They have at any time
1 SSBN at deterrent patrol
1 SSBN in Transit or sometimes at patrol
1 SSBN at short overhaul and repair
1 SSBN at long extensive overhaul and upgrade.

would arihant class sub launches tropedos ??
Obviously, ever heard of SSBN that dont fire torpedo?

But Arihant is not hunter killer, for that I think India should start to ask from French about spherical sonars for SSN.

Sorry state of affairs of Indian submarines;

10 of the 13 submarines being over 25 years old, only half of them are operationally available at any given time.

That is an excellent rate of availablity better than that of some western Navies.

The Royal Australian Navy has 3 SSKs at patrol at any given time out of their fleet of 6 Collins Class .Same is the case with Canadian navy with Upholder Class and Dutch Navy with Walrus class.

An average of ~60 % of availability is common across the world when operating SSKs.

And sane is the case with Pakistani Navy too.
Where at any given time
1 Agosta 90 B is at patrol , 1 Agosta 70 is at patrol costal , 1 Agosta 90B is in transit or patrol , rest 2 are at either refit or overhaul or upgrade or repair.

If you feel that the rate of availability is low, you are just showing your lack of knowledge.

That means atleast 6-10 SSBN, so atleast 2-3 always remain in patrol, also 3-4 SSN with them. And that also capable to operate in near Australian water with capable to fire 8500 KM SLBM.

And that I think not going to be possible before 2030.

Because the Arihants will not be deployed farther from the coast , by 2020 we will have at least 1 SSBN patrolling with nuke warheads.( any given time )

Because the Arihants will not be deployed farther from the coast , by 2020 we will have at least 1 SSBN patrolling with nuke warheads.
Yes, only S5, S6 & S7 would be capable to take patrol far beyond from Indian mainland.

That is an excellent rate of availablity better than that of some western Navies.

The Royal Australian Navy has 3 SSKs at patrol at any given time out of their fleet of 6 Collins Class .Same is the case with Canadian navy with Upholder Class and Dutch Navy with Walrus class.

An average of ~60 % of availability is common across the world when operating SSKs.

And sane is the case with Pakistani Navy too.
Where at any given time
1 Agosta 90 B is at patrol , 1 Agosta 70 is at patrol costal , 1 Agosta 90B is in transit or patrol , rest 2 are at either refit or overhaul or upgrade or repair.

If you feel that the rate of availability is low, you are just showing your lack of knowledge.

You forgot the per capita basis argument vis-a-vis Pakistan.
Turkey has the same number of 13 boats as India does (leaving the leased Indian asset). Now where is Turkey and where is India?

As for Australia & Collin class. Who is Australian adversary/enemy?

@PARIKRAMA thanks for the tag.
Well yes I sense a change in plan for P75I and that is what a delay is about.
Despite the news that announcements will be soon, it will take time. The P75I will be the most advanced SSK patrolling the oceans and most costly too, so they will take their own time. Meanwhile addition Scorpenes, Kilos and Akulas will keep our fleet going at minimum operational level ( if these are at time, then it will take us to our minimum desired levels , where our Submarines resume long patrols far away from our shores , at present Kilos are not sent for long patrols , after an upgrade they will resume it. )

You forgot the per capita basis argument vis-a-vis Pakistan.
Turkey has the same number of 13 boats as India does (leaving the leased Indian asset). Now where is Turkey and where is India?

Per capita assets is not often an ideal situation in Naval operations. And as for Turkey or SK or Japan, each nation , I repeat each nation has its own objectives and own operatinal needs to be fulfilled.

There is a reason why Navy is the most distinct out of 3 arms .

As in case of India,
Is India in lack of submarines ? => Yes
Is India behind its minimum operational needs ? => No.

Well India does not need to conduct the same level of Submarine operations in Bay of Bengal as it needs to do in the Arabian sea.
That should help your questions.

As for Australia & Collin class. Who is Australian adversary/enemy?

Again ignorance.
If you check out the Submarine operations in strategic South China Sea of last decade, you will find out its the Collins Class , its the only main diesel SSK opponent of PLAN in SCS,so much that China has its Spy Satellites positioned to carry out surveillance of Western Australia Submarine base, not of Japan, not of SK, not of Vietnam but of Australia, that should get you to the answer .

Then India should not have embarked upon such doctrines.
India must be prepared for a two-front war, says Air Marshal Reddy |

What you know, Indian defense forces know better.

i think you misunderstood my statement

Why not prepare for two front war??? because two frontal war is reality... we need a minimum of subs to hold the chinese and PN, we don't need to put equal numbers of subs... same goes for the land and air wars... i'm with what Indian defence planners are doing,

Last edited:
@Ankit Kumar

Is India behind its minimum operational needs ? => No.

Why minimum?
Was the two front war doctrine a mere lip service?
BTW thanks for acknowledging India is thinly stretched with minimum numbers being maintained.

As for Australia. It is not living off of South China Sea. Any one who thinks Australia (with US nuclear umbrella) & China will go to war must be birdbrained.

Do you know the bit of Far East Asia geography, as to where is SCS or how is it a part of a direct military threat to a country like Australia? Do you know how far is SCS from northern Australia in Kilometers?

scs.png

Back
Top Bottom