What's new

India’s first nuclear submarine INS Arihant ready for operations, passes deep sea tests

but dude some sources are saying INS Aridhaman would have more powerful reactor than Arihant !!!
I also thought that but possibly no bcz right after Gurucharan Singh (iwife of PM MMS) did the coconut breaking ceremony and Arihant was moved out the talks of Aridhaman in advanced stages appeared.. Originally it was though Aridhaman will be inaugurated by late 2013.. So even if its late i believe Aridhaman is much ahead of whats being reported in media and possibly may head to trials much sooner than expected.. After all Arihant was a first boat experience and thus was with too much caution..

The timeframe lets me feel Aridhaman may not have more tonnage or bigger reactor..

A bit off topic but significant in any manners

From sources

@Ankit Kumar
I am hearing a interesting snippet... for P75I
There seems to be a plan which has been advocated by a known company which has suggested for the following structure for P75I

Phase 1- Numbers 06
Directly build in home country - 02
Build in India - Primary - MDL - 03
Build in India - Secondary - To be selected - 01

Phase 2 -
Numbers 06
Build in India - Secondary - To be selected - 03

You are smart enough to guess what i am saying and whom i am hinting,, It seems both lines they save substantial cost and phase 1 helps in building the capability in the seconday most probably a pvt sector shipyard. Directly build in home country helps in getting first 2 submarines during the time of indian produced ones and line being setup.

This unique arrangement helps complete the phase 1 by 2027-28 in a record decade timeline and phase 2 can commence right after that..

Sorry state of affairs of Indian submarines;

10 of the 13 submarines being over 25 years old, only half of them are operationally available at any given time.

I also thought that but possibly no bcz right after Gurucharan Singh (iwife of PM MMS) did the coconut breaking ceremony and Arihant was moved out the talks of Aridhaman in advanced stages appeared.. Originally it was though Aridhaman will be inaugurated by late 2013.. So even if its late i believe Aridhaman is much ahead of whats being reported in media and possibly may head to trials much sooner than expected.. After all Arihant was a first boat experience and thus was with too much caution..

The timeframe lets me feel Aridhaman may not have more tonnage or bigger reactor..

From sources

@Ankit Kumar
There seems to be a plan which has been advocated by a known company which has suggested for the following structure for P75I

Phase 1- Numbers 06

Phase 2 -
Numbers 06

You are smart enough to guess what i am saying and whom i am hinting,, It seems both lines they save substantial cost and phase 1 helps in building the capability in the seconday most probably a pvt sector shipyard. Directly build in home country helps in getting first 2 submarines during the time of indian produced ones and line being setup.

This unique arrangement helps complete the phase 1 by 2027-28 in a record decade timeline and phase 2 can commence right after that..

So, is it the French again?

Present sorry state of affairs of Indian submarines;

10 of the 13 submarines being over 25 years old, only half of them are operationally available at any given time.

Yes, we know that. But the availability has increased after the upgrades of Kilo class.

From sources

@Ankit Kumar

Phase 1- Numbers 06

Phase 2 -
Numbers 06

Your sources and info evince too much interest ,
At the end of the day when everything hangs in stalemate, disappointment is even greater ,.....

Still very much interested to know your Infos and predictions
And slowly getting addicted to it ...

Have you read , Humphrey hawksleys novels ?
Like dragon strike ?

So, is it the French again?

Officially nothing is out on P75I.. Seems a suggestion.. of course..

Your sources and info evince too much interest ,
At the end of the day when everything hangs in stalemate, disappointment is even greater ,.....

Still very much interested to know your Infos and predictions
And slowly getting addicted to it ...

Have you read , Humphrey hawksleys novels ?
Like dragon strike ?

Not yet sir.. I will pick it up for a read surely

Am not good at prediction sir.. just sharing what i hear.. sometimes correct sometimes just smoke..
Addiction is not good ..

Present sorry state of affairs of Indian submarines;

Forget India Count how many Submarines PAkistan has: three Agosta-90B/Khalid and two Agosta-70 submarines..

Thats' about it.

Forget India Count how many Submarines PAkistan has: three Agosta-90B/Khalid and two Agosta-70 submarines..

Thats' about it.

India has 6 times the population. Pakistan wins this submarine density factor on per capita basis.
India should have 30, if Pakistan has 5.

We will need 4 SSBNs to carry out 24/7/365 deterrent patrols with one Ssbn active at any given time.

Till that happenes the nuclear triad, is incomplete.

That means atleast 6-10 SSBN, so atleast 2-3 always remain in patrol, also 3-4 SSN with them. And that also capable to operate in near Australian water with capable to fire 8500 KM SLBM.

And that I think not going to be possible before 2030.

Interesting is the 160MW reactor quoted by The week.. Its double size of Arihant/Aridhaman 83 MW reactor.. But lesser than 190 MW reactor..
The 190 MW reactor of INS Chakra is OK-650 and French uses K-15 or 150 MW reactor.. So our reactor is bang in the middle of these two perhaps..

Would be interesting to know % HEU reactor as OK-650 is around 20-45% HEU and is in use from 1980s..

I had been hearing that India is keen to convert LEU to HEU reactors increasing the life of the reactor to coincide with life of the boat.. The murmur was that via L&T Areva deal we are suppose to get that "tech".. DId not hear after that so may be its hush hush owing to black project status.

Oh one more thing, it seems the new reactor planned for 160MW may power our ACCs.. So technically our Nuclear powered ACC (INS Vishal class) work is also connected to this...

So is also perhaps our SSN projects which may be similar in size to Arihant class but will have reorganised things to incorporate more stealthier aspect and acoustic signature reduction techniques and noise reduction.. SOmething we are keen to learn new western technology via P75I SSK projects

This is almost impossible to develop HEU reactor without western help. Also if DAE know knowhow of that 83 MW ( not clear that is MW or MWe) reactor, then uprating is easy job, but require atleast 3 to 5 years of testing.

Last edited:
India has 6 times the population. Pakistan wins this submarine density factor on per capita basis.
India should have 30, if Pakistan has 5.
Wow.. thats' some way of winning in a war... so according to you.... in case of a War... Indian Navy will avoid Pakistan Navy because India Navy has less Submarines relative to Population.......

Kaun si class main hai bhi.

Wow.. thats' some way of winning in a war... so according to you.... in case of a War... Indian Navy will avoid Pakistan Navy because India Navy has less Submarines relative to Population.......

Forget it, a CBG equipped with 3-4 SSN would be capable to block whole shoreline of Pakistan. And that is fact.

And thats why SSN should be prioritized instead of SSK/

would arihant class sub launches tropedos ??

Its not winning of war. its matching of assets.

would arihant class sub launches tropedos ??

Yes.

India’s first nuclear armed submarine is now ready for full fledged operations, having passed several deep sea diving drills as well as weapons launch tests over the past five months and a formal induction into the naval fleet is only a political call away.

Multiple officials closely associated with the project to operationalize the INS Arihant nuclear missile submarine have confirmed to ET that the indigenously-built boat is now fully-operational and over the past few months, several weapon tests have taken place in secrecy that have proven the capabilities of the vessel.

The Arihant, which is the first of five nuclear missile submarines or SSBNs planned for induction, has also undergone deep sea dives off Vishakhapatnam where it was build. A Russian diving support ship —the RFS Epron that arrived on October 1 — has been accompanying the Arihant on its deep sea dives and launch tests, officials told ET.

The Epron — a Prut class submarine rescue vessel — was also the Russian representation for the recently concluded International Fleet Review (IFR) in Vishakhapatnam. India does not currently possess a submarine rescue vessel of this class – a vital requirement during weapon firing tests where all possibilities need to be catered for.

The Arihant incidentally did nottake part in the IFR even though it was ready due to security concerns. The presence of 24 foreign warships, equipped with sensors and equipment that could pick up vital electronic intelligence being the main deterrent.

The Navy has managed to keep under wraps several weapon launch tests from the Arihant over the past five months. The submarine is to be equipped with K 15 (or BO-5) shortrange missiles with a range of over 700 km and the K 4 ballistic missile with a range of 3,500 km. “It has passed all tests and in many things has surpassed our expectations.

Technically the submarine can now be commissioned at any time,” a senior official said. Sources told ETthat the commissioning date could be as early as next month if the Modi government desires. A communication facility to interact with the submarine has already been commissioned into the Navy.

At present, work is already in progress on two more Arihant class submarines at the Ship Building Center (SBC) in Vishakhapatnam which will be larger and more advanced than the first boat. The navy is also accelerating work on INS Varsha – a new strategic naval base with underground pens on the Eastern Coast near Kakinada – where the nuclear assets would be based.

The Navy’s Submarine Design Bureau is also presently working on a new class of nuclear powered attack submarines (SSNs) that it hopes to induct within the next 15 years. The plan is to build at least six SSNs in India, with financial sanction given last year for the project that could cost upwards of Rs 90,000 crore. At present, the only nuclear powered platform in service is the INS Chakra, a Akula class SSN on lease from Russia.

this HTML class. Value is India a model to the world in space research, says Isro scientist

This is big news as India's first indigenously-built nuclear submarine armed with K-04 is finally ready to be commissioned.
Congrats to all of my Indian brothers here.

@Abingdonboy @PARIKRAMA @AUSTERLITZ @MilSpec @nair @scorpionx @Vauban @SpArK @Icarus @anant_s @randomradio @cerberus @knight11 @Levina @ranjeet @raktaka @Armani @surya kiran@Water Car Engineer @Nilgiri @sathya @GORKHALI @Tshering22 @Brahmaputra Mail @Roybot @Skull and Bones @GURU DUTT @Guynextdoor2 @SRP @mpk1988 @ni8mare @danish_vij @AMCA @Ind4Ever
@Ankit Kumar @mkb95 @kaykay @kurup @sarjenprabhu @DavidSling @500 @TimeTraveller
Thank You For Tagging Me Sir........:-)................Nice...........:thinktank::mps:............

Back
Top Bottom